Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Article: Japanese PSP2 DLC Works with Western Version of Game?

Since the release of PSP2 in the West, there has been much discussion about whether or not the DLC released in Japan would eventually make its way to the US and Europe. The general consensus has been that the chance was likely slim. That is, until now. PSOW member Izuna has posted a very interesting guide in our PSP2 Forum which shows how to play the Japanese-released Phantasy Star Portable 2 DLC with the Western release of the game!

The process is actually quite easy, and simply involves downloading the free DLC from the official Japanese PSP2 site (where a similar guide is posted in Japanese) and storing it on your PSP's memory stick in the designated folders. The catch, as you might have guessed, is that the mission text is all in Japanese. However, it seems that the items you find during these missions will be displayed in English. (Please note: We do not yet know if there are any potential negative side effects from doing this, but none have been reported so far.)

<p style="text-align:center">

This discovery opens up access to many of the very popular downloadable missions that were released for the Japanese version of the game, such as Gemaga and Maximum Attack Cross. In addition, it raises a very good question: If the Japanese DLC can be used with this method, does that mean that Sega could potentially release localized DLC sometime down the road using a similar method? We'll have to wait and see. In the meantime, head over to the forums and check out the full guide and discussion! Thanks to Izuna for posting the guide and credit also goes to funkyskunk for letting us know about this trick in an earlier thread!

Default Some one from Sega forums

Some one from Sega forums was banned for posting about this.
    Oddly...
    PSU JP: Mirai Ichi Lv 180 / PSU US/EU PC/PS2: Miray Lv 165

Default That would seem unlikely,

That would seem unlikely, seeing as how the information and DLC is available for free right on the official Japanese PSP2 web site (just in Japanese).
    This method of accessing the DLC is presumably for players who cannot connect their PSP to the Internet, but do have access to download the missions on a computer and copy them to a memory stick manually.

Rappy Hunter

Default i commented about it on the

i commented about it on the sega forums, but the post was removed until they could make sure the dlc wouldn't mess up people's games. if someone got banned they must have posted it a lot.

Default I'm a little apprehensive

I'm a little apprehensive about downloading and trying these missions. Like the article said: no one knows if there's any negative and/or game breaking side effects just yet. I'm actually going to wait until we get a definite "no" answer on DLC for the Western versions before I go doing this either way.

Default been playing this for a

been playing this for a while, and even converted a JPN save; they both work pretty much 100%, the only really unfortunate things are some items being dummy items. I imagine that if/when SEGA releases Western DLC, this package will have to be overwritten to use it.
    Vanguard Race Guide ~ Japanese DLC In All Regions
    Announcement from SEGA: There are minor delays on ships 1~10 due to a signal failure. All other lines are running a good service.

Default i´m happy with this and

i´m happy with this and dissapointed in some way...
    it´s like when i just check the memory from my PSU v1 and AOTI both for PC...i found the scripts from playstation 2 memory card on it also found the data for the first episode from PSU episode 3... anyway i found kind of lazy they (SEGA) mess this up a lot...how come they didn´t think of this...cause i´m really sure there were some guy who said: "what if a psp2jp owner use the dlc mission content on the us version just changing ther name of the folder???...i mean i now it is stupid and after all we are SEGA...but still...." voila....
    like i said i´m happy that this event mission ARE in the us version in some way (i´m literally pointing a gun on my friends and take them to the store to buy the game so we can enjoy challenge and MAX).
    but thinking...like the password spoiled surprise...this is another mess for us in the INFINITE future.
    meh...i´ll just enjoy my endorphines a little while.
    my character on psp2i:
    ダニエル human male
    R. フィニガン beast male
    シュタウフェンベルク cast female
    http://www.pso-world.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic61202_6.gif

Default Im not surprised really

Im not surprised really since the game is supposed to have less a region lock, so the code would have to be near identicle

Default I honestly don't appreciate

I honestly don't appreciate Izuna being the only one getting credit for this because FunkySkunk was the first to post it and to my knowledge the one who brought it to the forum....soooo give him credit please...it's not right....

Default I agree to a point... I did

I agree to a point... I did find out for myself, although I wasn't the first one~ what matters is that this news got through, which is pretty cool for PSPo2 users.
    Vanguard Race Guide ~ Japanese DLC In All Regions
    Announcement from SEGA: There are minor delays on ships 1~10 due to a signal failure. All other lines are running a good service.