Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I hate youtube gaming, but I like youtube, every time I see a conference I make sure to see it with the youtube interface. I don't use much twitch the same way I don't really see many streamings on youtube, or gameplay in general, unless I feel like remembering a game I don't want to replay at the moment.

Pewdiepie's success isn't quite a fluke. There are a handful of YouTubers who've become, maybe not fabulously wealthy, but sufficiently successful that they can focus on making videos for YouTube, full time. There's Markiplier, JackSepticEye and Peanut Butter Gamer for example. I don't know where they fall in terms of how much they're earning from their videos, but YouTube is their job; it pays their bills and leaves them with enough left over to perpetuate the business. Another thing to bear in mind, is that a lot of YouTubers get sponsors, once they get a sufficiently large audience. I've seen Geico, Audible and The Great Courses sponsoring videos quite a lot.

So while you probably shouldn't look at Pewdiepie's success and expect the same, it's not unreasonable to try for enough YouTube success to be able to do the job full-time, and live reasonably comfortably. You're going to want to learn some video editing software, though. Those videos don't edit themselves. Lynda.com is another frequent sponsor.

Go team ph4il! 02/07/2016

I have yet to watch any of Youtube Gaming, admittingly. While I would enjoy JackSepticEye, there is also DarkSydePhil there....and he is the scourge of streaming.

Twitch I do really enjoy watching and have been enjoy certain communities. Especially SourKoolaidShow and Bennyfits (ever since the Kotaku article on Bennyfits, I was hooked on that stream). I have even played with Bennyfits a few times in Overwatch. I really wonder how the setup is for that is.

And for SourKoolaidShow, you just can't beat the Best Damn Dark Souls Run (which took over 200 hours):

As you can tell, DP is more of a comedian than a excellently skilled gamer, but his shows do have a lot guest comedians on every now and then. And they even do a stand up set for the show. He has been pushing for a comedy category for Twitch for a long time and I hope it goes through. He is really entertaining to watch.
    Last edited by RuneLateralus; Aug 29, 2016 at 05:45 AM.