Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

The quote is not "pretty bad" to use in real life in fact I would say its rather practical and applicable to real life.

If something's not working out for a person despite their efforts, then why not change something, like change their approach, change their mindset, change their environment, change their attitude, etc. There are always more than one ways to go about doing things, some better than others depending on who that person is and his faculties/capacities.

Sometimes you do need to push the same thing a little harder, to persevere and whatnot, but at the same time it's important to be aware of the situation so that you don't get trapped into destructive scenarios where your efforts are fruitless and proves to be even counter-productive to your life. Like if you're in a toxic relationship where the other person is abusive/cheating/passive-aggressive/etc. do you still try to work harder doing the same old things? Or would you rather try something different in order to change the status quo?

Edit:

Whether Einstein was hurt or not is irrelevant; what is relevant is that he and his theory didn't get "blown the fuck out...." of the branch of science.
    Last edited by Evangelion X.XX; Oct 14, 2016 at 03:50 PM.

His theory was fine but he personally was actually blown the fuck out. He believed in determinism so much yet gave birth to a theory that constantly challenges it. He criticized Quantum Theory a lot and pushed for hidden variables or other deterministic interpretations.

Quote Originally Posted by vantpers View Post
    His theory was fine but he personally was actually blown the fuck out. He believed in determinism so much yet gave birth to a theory that constantly challenges it. He criticized Quantum Theory a lot and pushed for hidden variables or other deterministic interpretations.
    I do not think Einstein personally, got "blown the fuck out of the branch of physics" that even he helped to foster. If he did, why do so many physicists revere him? It's because he did something amazing; it's quite remarkable that he unified space and time via light, which prior to him, they were deemed as separate dimensions. And now the result of his theory, that space and time are not a fixed "things" but are subject to change (can slow down or speed up, contract or widen) depending on one's frame of reference.

And so what if he gave birth to a theory that challenges his own? Wouldn't it be worthwhile if it brought us all closer to the truth about the nature of reality? But whether the universe is in fact deterministic (or vice versa, probablistic/free-will/consciousness), that's a subject for philosophy and quite frankly, I don't think anyone really has an answer for, because we just don't really know.
    Last edited by Evangelion X.XX; Oct 14, 2016 at 04:21 PM.

I never denied Einstein's accomplishments but it's mostly about the pure fact that he was rather bothered and Quantum Theory was a major eyesore for him. He never expected his belief of determinism to clash with science as hard as it happened. At some point if another physic law says that you can't know too much (Heisenberg's Principle) is just as relevant as a law that says that you can't go too fast appears determinism kinda starts falling apart.

Quote Originally Posted by milranduil View Post
    now you're just being silly. 20 chars has numerous uses:

-gathering
    -skill tree reset passes
    -bingo
    -taco/xq
    -zieg COs
    -easier to spread different types of trees across them for multiple classes without spending extra AC (i.e. a force with a lightning tree for TA, another force with a fire tree for general play, a third with ice tree, etc.)
    -dailies (like rodos)
    -more character storage (this in particular is HUGE for people that store fodders between boosts)

I'm sure I'm forgetting more stuff, but the point is you get quite a lot for having extra characters each time you pay 500AC. And frankly, you don't give TACOs enough credit. Especially now, mod is dirt cheap, the cheapest it's ever been and is still 2-layer RNG reliant. You can TACO whenever the hell you want by yourself and get it done very easily and consistently, no RNG.
    That's so not worth it when you consider you have to spend $100 and level 40 classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Keilyn View Post
    Looking from above to below, we might not see that much we aren't used to seeing.
    Looking from below to above, we might dream to one day touch the heavens...
    Weeb Bot - Discord EQ Alerts
    PSO2 EQ API

Whether Einstein was bothered or not about Q.T., I don't care (and he was); what matters to me is getting closer to the truth, and that' is all.

And yes, Heisenberg places a limit on information acquisition (a direct consequence on how quantum particles interact, or is it the limitation of our 5-sense perception?), and also we have the famous Double-Slit experiment that pushed forward the probabilistic interpretation of matter.

My only remark (not particularly addressed to anyone or anything) is that the world is not entirely "random" nor "deterministic", Q.T. is a probablistic theory but even those probabilities can be predicted/calculated with accuracy, and thus falls somewhere within the boundaries of being deterministic at the same time.

Like I said previously, I suspect there's something even bigger out there that subsumes both theories (Relativity and Quantum Theory), and a lot of people these days think that the missing link may in fact has something to do with "consciousness" and how our consciousness shapes reality, and how we shape each other's reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangelion X.XX View Post
    Double-Slit experiment that pushed forward the probabilistic interpretation of matter.
    matter + photons

My only remark (not particularly addressed to anyone or anything) is that the world is not entirely "random" nor "deterministic", Q.T. is a probablistic theory but even those probabilities can be predicted/calculated with accuracy, and thus falls somewhere within the boundaries of being deterministic at the same time.
    The fact that it is probabilistically based is defined as being indeterministic. Knowing the probability outcomes does not equate to being deterministic. You can only determine the most likely outcome which is still inherently indeterministic.
    Quote Originally Posted by KazeSenoue View Post
    That's so not worth it when you consider you have to spend $100 and level 40 classes.
    Well I disagree. Having more characters makes accomplishing various things in-game exponentially easier when you have multiple characters, namely lambdagrinders, bingo rewards (triboosts, star gems, affix boosters, etc.), and storage. They're investments.
    Last edited by milranduil; Oct 14, 2016 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by milranduil View Post
    The fact that it is probabilistically based is defined as being indeterministic. Knowing the probability outcomes does not equate to being deterministic. You can only determine the most likely outcome which is still inherently indeterministic..
    And thus why I stated, "falls somewhere within the boundaries of being deterministic", the theory is inherently indeterministic, but not completely so; nothing is being equated.

I'm not particularly sure what to make of your response: "matter + photon", but yes, electrons, as matter particles, were shot one at a time through a double-slit, and the result was the formation of a wave-pattern which lead to Max Born positing an probablistic interpretation to the result; the electron had acted as if it were a wave, and interfered with itself after going through the slit which created a fringe pattern. This also led to de Broglie establishing the de Broglie Wavelength (a matter-wave equation) linking matter and and wave pheonomena. Therefore, things in nature can viewed as either particles/solid-matter or waves, which essentially is vibrating energy.

And thus why I stated, "falls somewhere within the boundaries of being deterministic", the theory is inherently indeterministic, but not completely so; nothing is being equated.

I'm not particularly sure what to make of your response: "matter + photon", but yes, electrons, as matter particles, were shot one at a time through a double-slit, and the result was the formation of a wave-pattern which lead to Max Born positing an probablistic interpretation to the result; the electron had acted as if it were a wave, and interfered with itself after going through the slit which created a fringe pattern. This also led to de Broglie establishing the de Broglie Wavelength (a matter-wave equation) linking matter and and wave pheonomena. Therefore, things in nature can viewed as either particles/solid-matter or waves, which essentially is vibrating energy.
    Take the double-slit for example. We know we get an interference pattern, that is determinable. However we cannot predict the location of a single photon/particle within that interference pattern. I would still think that this is inherently indeterministic if you cannot make an accurate prediction 100% of the time.

Wave-particle duality is exhibited by both matter and photons. I separate them because photons are not typically considered matter to begin with though still exhibit the properties of duality.

I get what you're saying, in regard to not being able to make an accurate prediction on an 'individual basis' 100% of the time, but the overall picture in the long run is predictive. So indeed, things are a little fuzzy on that account.
    Last edited by Evangelion X.XX; Oct 14, 2016 at 06:32 PM.