Celestial Knight of Azure Flames zandra117's Avatar
    My soul is in Gurhal while my heart is on Ragol

Default New english Classic PS Cosplay Artbook with Developer Interviews

https://mobile.twitter.com/memiest/s...73981162565632
    A japanese Phantasy Star fan has created a classic Phantasy Star cosplay book and has released an english edition for international fans.
    The book also contains new interviews with Yuji Naka and Rieko Kodama.
    I have ordered a copy for myself and its on its way to my post office.
    "Thol-Falz, tes par rel diemed. Tes syr, weh yi ryukad te reli, rel ken rel obid." Dark Force, your shrine is finished. Your sword, who you returned to reality, is able to be wielded.

it just arrived in the mail. is it okay if I post the interviews here?
    no reiko kodama interview but there is yuji naka, naoto oshima, yasushi yamaguchi, hiroto saeki, kazuyoshi tsugawa, tokuhiko uwabo (bo), izuho numata (ippo), and tohru yoshida (yoshibon).

After speaking with Hunewearl_Meira I have decided to not post the scans. But, I will instead transliterate the interviews here. All spelling and grammar errors are in the original book. I am typing them as is.

Starting with Yuji Naka.

Q:Congratulations for the 30th anniversary. What kind of game was Phantasy Star Series for Naka-san?
    Naka: Even though it was difficult, it was the first original RPG, and has many memories for me. As many has mentioned, enabling the 3D dungeon on the full screen was very exciting.

Q:What has motivated you to join SEGA? Did you apply as programmer from the beginning?
    Naka: After graduating Nishinoda Technical Highschool in Osaka I have Applied to 3 companies, But unfortunately it was hard time for high school students' employment. No offer was made and since SEGA was seeking applicants at the same time, I also applied lightly with my friend because we thought we can visit Tokyo, but the exam and the interview were all held at Osaka, and the time I was at SEGA was after being accepted to SEGA and entering the dormitory.
    I was doing programming as a part timer during high school, so of course I applied as a programmer.

Q:What was the cause of making Phantasy Star 1?
    Naka: At the time when seeing the RPGs on Commodore and Amiga with 3D dungeons moving on small screen, I wondered if I can make it in full screen instead and worked on an experimental program on my own, which became successful with functional dungeon part that lead to the development of a RPG I think.

Q:Why was it that the main character was a woman, and cute animal like Myau was in the main party member?
    Naka: Because I like girls. Or to be exact, back then men were the warriors in the medieval world of Dragon Warrior, so I wanted to make a girl in a sci-fi RPG but also Kodama-san and Chouko-san's character design were so attractive I chose Alis and Myau.

Q:Why was the Phantasy Star's dungeon was changed from 3D to 2D?
    Naka: You must be mentioning about Phantasy Start II? For Phantasy Star II I wanted to do the 3D dungeon as well, however no matter how hard I tried, the capacity for the GENESIS cartilage was limited, and there were only 2 and a half a month for the development period, therefore not being able to squeeze out that time for making the 3D dungeon was the biggest issue. If there were more time, I wanted to do the 3D dungeon for Phantasy Star II too.

Q:About the cake shop inside the dungeon, I heard that it was an opinion from a female staff but who's proposal was it?
    Naka: I think it was Gamer Miki-san? It might be Aoki-san who was working on the scenario, and back then things were made while being carried away and even Gamer-Miki san made appearance in the game.

Q:Can you tell me how the "Magic" changed to "Technic" from Phantasy Star II?

Naka: It was due to emphasize the sci-fi image more I think.

Q: Can you share what was the most difficult experience, stories or events when developing Phantasy Star I?
    Naka: Definitely the 3D dungeon was the most difficult thing, but in a sense the back-up memory at the time was unreliable so thinking up and implementing the recovery program in the latter half of the development also was another one.

Q:How long did it take to develop Phantasy Star I and II?
    Naka: Phantasy Star I took 4 months, and for Phantasy Star II it was 2 and a half. But for Phantasy Star II the scenario part had a head start so likely it was longer than that, but the art asset and the program part only had 2 and a half month for development.

Q:Can you share what was the most difficult experience, stories or events when developing Phantasy Star II?
    Naka: Definitely there was only 2.5 month to develop for the program part, so pretty much I lived at the company during the development, which was quite memorable.
    The monster data and the dungeon data cannot fit into the 4meg cartilage at first, so I begged at the high-ranking officers' meeting to have the cartilage upgraded to 6megs and promised them that I will keep the deadline no matter what; this eventually became the reason to make it within 2.5 month, and I learned the lesson to be careful on what to say in front of high ranking officers' meetings.
    I was still 23 years at the time so definitely I was young.

Q: In Phantasy II it had the save data's recovery capability, but how did it work?

Naka: The save data recovery system, knowing the fact that the backup memory can be destroyed by turning on off the power, if all the backup was destroyed then there is no way for recovery but by having the duplicate for all of the save data and referring to each other for any destruction then the save data can be repaired. When the game was out in the market this system was functional more than expected, so I felt it was a good decision to implementiong it.

Q: Are there any behind-the scene stories of the Phantasy Star Series?
    Naka: Since it is called "Phantasy Star" we were making a sci-fi RPG, however the appearance of the dragons and sorcerers were done by Shibata, who loved collecting metal figures, assuming that some monster designs were influenced by that.

Q:If you are to make a non-online Phantasy Star 5, what kind of game do you want to make it?

Naka: Definitely I want to see Phantasy Star with 3D dungeon. Oh, for sure that will be a normal thing these days. Likely I will think of a story before Phantasy Star I, but it will be difficult so I think the story will be based on the future; the world where the sci-fi has more advanced.

Q:When developing the online game, why was the name "Phantasy Star" was used?
    Naka: During the experimentation of the online RPG, I felt that quality was good enough to be used for the Phantasy Star.

Q:Which do you like more? Kinoko-no-Yama or the Takenoko-no-Sato?
    Naka: I cannot eat much of chocolate so it is hard for me to say which is better, but I will say Kinoko-no-Yama.

Q:Before concluding, a message to your fans please.

Naka: Thank you all for loving Phantasy Star for long time.
    I am so happy about that. I can feel that it is being truly loved by many.
    I truly appreciate your continuous support.
    Last edited by zandra117; Sep 25, 2017 at 01:43 AM.
    "Thol-Falz, tes par rel diemed. Tes syr, weh yi ryukad te reli, rel ken rel obid." Dark Force, your shrine is finished. Your sword, who you returned to reality, is able to be wielded.

Next up is Ohshima Naoto.

will edit this post tomorrow

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

This is so awesome to see! Shame I can't see the cosplays. That Nei one makes my inner fanboy happy.