Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

I love learning new things. It can be a really enriching experience. Working on all aspects of my game made my respect for the pro’s even bigger. And in the end, I am a living example that any of these skills can be learned to an acceptable amateur level in quite a short time. All you need is some dedication. I still have a full time job and can manage this whole game thing quite well. Even if you decide to outsource some of the work later on, it’s still good to gain some experience yourself, so you can give better instructions to person you are working with.

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

I tend to prefer working on one thing at a time. I like having one game to work on for a long time instead of lots of small games. When I learn songs, it's one at a time.
    So to have all these things to work on all at once, it's kind of overwhelming. Maybe that's why I stuck with art for such a long time.

If I could just focus on one thing on this game, I think I'd be happier. But at the same time, I don't want to compromise on anything I want. I want control over the animations, I want my world to look a certain way, I want control over the music, I want the movement to be a certain way...

I know how you feel. I'm the same way with my creations, wanting to control every aspect of them. I guess you have to weigh that feeling versus the time it would take doing it all yourself. If you don't mind taking the time, go for it.

Sig art by Aussei ^_^

Well, of course you have to learn stuff one thing at a time. I didn't learn everything at once. For each core skill I easily took more than a month to just learn that one thing. At the same time I would simply work on stuff for my game I already had the skill for.

Well, this is an issue. I spent a lot of time trying to implement a wall run system, and got it working great. The issue is that I got it running (ha!) on solid blocks. But the game will be using tilemaps. It took me a while to realize, but the system I have is completely incompatible with that.

So~ hopefully I can find some answers on how to do something like this on tilemaps. It can't be that hard...right?

Also, I started work on the tutorial area. Now that I have things to test with, I can see how much my game sucks right now. I have a little platforming area to test jumping out, and I just can't make the jumps. They're either trivial or impossible. That's something I'm going to have to figure out.

So what’s the good thing about tile maps? I always thought 2D games would work the same as 3D where the 3D model and the collision volumes are separate. In UE4 the game does generate a collision volume for each model you import, but you could also disable the volumes entirely on your art assets and simply use simple box volumes to walk on/interact with. If that volume is ground or a wall would be determined by some properties.

but yeah, you are now hitting the hard part of building gamelogic, which is the fight with engine itself, which takes a long time to fully comprehend. Last week I spend more then 4 hours trying to figure out why the collision volume of my enemy wasn’t following the animation when it flies upwards. It’s those things that are the hardest to me. It’s engine functionality I don’t fully understand yet. Building the enemy behavior or the TPS gameplay was much less time consuming.

But yeah, your approach seems the same as mine. Start with some test assets and let the game simply grow, as long as you have a rough idea of what you want to achieve. There is nothing wrong with temp assets like my current character or the spaceship that looks like shit. Heck, I only made my first real map last month!

For jumping enjoyment you probably need to look into air control. While not realistic, it will make a much much more fun game.

Zora, your solution is to use invisible block for the player to collide and interact with. It's common practice on 2D platformers. First give them a global variable for visibility so you can see them while the game is running. Once you have a solid and correct gameplay, change the variable and make them invisible.

Talking about collision, I'm avoiding it in most cases of my game and using a "distance to object" function. As for the player ship and bullets, GMS lets you use the whole sprite as a box, a precise or a customized collision mask. I went with a small circle inside the center of the ship and the enemy fire to give the player a better bullet hell experience.
    Busy doing nothing...

I'm hardly making progress with this, but at least I can show this off.

Last edited by Zorafim; Feb 17, 2019 at 04:20 PM.

Well, that was almost one year ago! but progress is progress!

for the zoom in and out, how does that work? I would maybe try to bind it to the movement speed (so faster movement would zoom out more). In UE4 I would use the vector length of the character movement (if that’s a variable you can read in Unity).

Yeah it's tied to movement speed. I wrote a chunk of code for it to make sense. I want the game to be zoomed in when walking and enjoying the scenery and stuff, and once you start dashing and doing fast fun stuff it's zoomed out enough for you to see everything way in advance.
    I took inspiration from Sonic. In that Sonic never gives you time to see what's in front of you.

Since I didn't describe it, what I was working on during this video was jumping. I started off with realistic jumping where you jump up with an initial velocity, and you're pushed back down with a constant force. I like how it feels, but it prevents you from controlling your jumps. So I did the typical Mario thing where you hold the jump button for as long as you want to go up, and once you let go or once you hold it for too long gravity starts taking you back. I also hard coded in a terminal velocity, but I may make that to an arbitrarily large number. I need to make a platforming section and see how exactly I want to handle that.
    Doing that made dolphin jumping feel lame again, since the force of gravity is too high to get good jumps. So I may need to add some more conditions to make dolphin jumping work at lower gravity than normal jumping.

This is what I had before this week. There's no advanced jump physics and I didn't fix wall running yet, but it otherwise shows where the game is at.

Last edited by Zorafim; Feb 18, 2019 at 02:11 PM.