Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zorafim View Post
    I doubled the frames, but I'm not sure it actually looks any better. If anything, it looks jankier.

I don't know much about animation, but it might look weird because of the lack of vertical movement.

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

What a coincidence, neither do I!

I'll look into that. Maybe adding some pixels upward might make it look better. I just received some criticism saying that she's scraping the ground with her knee, so I can kill two birds by doing that.

Cool! a thread for your game so I can follow the progress. Good luck!!
    Busy doing nothing...

I prefer the doubled frames. Looks more flowy.

You didn't see it until now? Sorry, I thought you did. It made more sense than to use my music thread.

I just got done adding a jump, which was thankfully trivial. I turned the gravity to what I thought was a nice weight. It seems awkward without a jump animation, so now I have to figure out what I want that to look like.
    Something I noticed was that many people use a crouched character that straightens out when they jump. But mine's already straight.

I also spent some time on the camera. That was fun from a purely programming perspective. I had to figure out how to slowly adjust it while maximizing the amount of space given. Lots of fun glitches with that, but it looks pretty good now. Next I need to get it to zoom out more while walking, and it should be good.

So you think it looks alright Q? Maybe I'll just move on and see if it still bothers me later. While composing I would sometimes leave a song for a while, and anything I didn't like jumped out at me when I came back. Maybe that'll happen here.

For the jumping animation, it should be composed of 3 main parts: start, middle and finish. It'll look good if you can make her fins wave on the start and the finish.
    Busy doing nothing...

What I was going to do was have an animation play when she goes up, and switch to another when she went down. I guess that's what you would consider the start and finish, with an intermediate animation in between?

That’s how I made my jump animation for my game. It is actually 3 separate animations that get triggered by certain events the game Engine has build in:
    1: lift off! Triggered by pressing a button The character first goes slightly crouched. First the legs go straight. Then while moving up the knees go up in a cycling motion. My advice is first to include the ‘going up’ in the animation itself, because that’s easier to work with. Later you can center back the animation frames.
    2: falling down. Triggered when falling down. This also gets triggered when you don’t jump, but simply fall of a cliff. You can usually set this to a loop between two frames.
    3: touch down! Triggered when hitting the ground. Character moves to crouched position again, with the body weight tilted forward a bit and then slowly move up to the default standing position.

you could make a 4th animation for hitting water instead of the ground.
    Last edited by qoxolg; Jan 18, 2018 at 02:06 AM.

I store my x and y velocities for math, and it's been working great for me. To chose my facing, I check to see if speedx is negative or positive. I can do the same with y to see if I should be going up or down.

When I hit water, because I already have a fast velocity, it automatically goes into a swim dash, making it look like I just finished a dive. I think it should be possible for me to create a splash when I hit a water trigger (in my case, when my y coordinate switches from positive to negative or vice versa) to mask the landing. From there it's all about having a good fall animation.

What worries me about a land animation is the variables. I want the player to keep going no matter what. When they land, they could be going fast or slow beforehand, and they could either go into a walk, a sprint, or just stand. I guess I'll just see how it looks after I get a few more animations in there and just focus on what I know I should do first. The first step is definitely an up and down animation.

You could also make a line trace to the ground and check which surface is below you while in the air. If the surface is water, you can use a diving animation with the head facing towards the water instead of the feet.

I have similar solutions for footstep sounds, by line tracing y -200 and check which material is below the character and determine the sound to play.