Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

I still have a lot of animations to work on. Jump attack, dash attack, swim attack, swim dash attack, dodge, swim dash, counter, and counter attack.

My next immediate goal is the dodge. I'm thinking a back flip. It's not practical, but it's fun. Since art is still overwhelming, I'm also going to work on getting attacks to work, and getting wall running to work.

My levels are going to have simple logic. Just get to the end and kill a thing to finish the level. So I'm not too worried about that. Actually building them is a more immediate concern for me.

If I run out of programming work between taking breaks from art, I'm going to start working on the demo level. I need a room to test each feature, and the demo room would be the best place for it. Since it will be a way to show off what I have planned, and to teach the player how to play.
    Last edited by Zorafim; Feb 23, 2018 at 02:10 AM.

There is no reason to run out of programming work. You can simply expand your game with more gameplay elements. You can turn this all the way until you reach metroidvania nirvana that’s how my game evolved from simple platformer to full blown action RPG.

Well, I guess I meant necessary programming work. I still want a more action oriented game with lighter RPG elements.

So I'm finding during land animations that the fins kinda get in the way. I knew they would, but, it's difficult to add them in and making them look both realistic and elegant.
    I'm trying to make due, but it's a little bit stressful.

Pro tip: don’t worry about perfection at this point, because when you are further into development, your skills will probably have improved enough to fix stuff that currently takes a ton of time. Just churn out content that is good enough and just go with that.

I worked on this animation for a bit. I basically copy and pasted things to get it working, so it's probably not great. Just wanted to hear some thoughts before I worked on it some more. I'll probably take a little break from it before going back to it too.
    I haven't worked on any details like the hair or fins. I'll probably have to change the body a bit, which'll completely ruin the rest of it. So I figure I'd look for feedback before looking at that.
    The idea is that it's going to be an attack that does more damage than a ground slash due to the momentum given, but still be less dps than the ground slash combo. Once you use it in the air, you'll be stuck in that animation (the final frame) until you hit ground.

I added some flow to the hair, and added some frames to the slash. It ends with motion blur, since you'll be falling at that point. Ending with a normal blade looked too weak. Now it has the power I want, but it might be too static.
    I didn't bother with an ending animation because the logic to do that seems too much of a deal for the added visual effect. Making an animation for jumping and falling seems to have done almost nothing for me, and took quite a while to do.

I didn't feel like doing any more art today, so I did some more work on wall running. I got it to a spot where I think it feels good. Doing so required I changed a couple of things though.

I doubled walking speed and the camera size. Walking felt like it took forever for me, so even though the animation and speed don't match up, it still feels nicer. The camera size got way too close to the player, so now it feels nicer.
    I changed my land controls to be velocity based to acceleration based. Though I prefer controlling via velocity - since it means that pressing a button means instant control - acceleration allowed me to stop the player from doing things I didn't want them to do. For instance, it was too easy to wall run up the same wall infinitely before. Now I can prevent them from doing that.

And of course, wall running now displays the proper animation. Before, Levia just flew up a wall. Now she properly ninja runs up for half a second (still enough to climb several stories). She can also infinitely wall jump between two walls as well, or use a wall climb to shoot herself into the opposite direction for a nifty looking u-turn.

I still need to add dash attacking, swim attacking, swim dash attacking, countering, and dodging. The list is growing shorter!

I don't have much to say here since I don't know anything about programming. I just didn't want you to feel neglected by the lack of replies. For now all I can say is, good luck and keep up the good work!

Sig art by Aussei ^_^

I'm honestly using it as a blog as much as I'm using it as a way to ask for help. Being able to share something with people I like and who are interested in it is great too.
    I wish I had something more concrete to share, but, the going is slow. All I can say is that it's pretty fun to play.

Oh, if something sounds interesting, let me know and I'll export a build for you.

I've been lazy. That's been bad. But I finally got around to my dash attack.

It's my first attempt, so... I think, the arm isn't winding up enough? I could also move the actual sprite back before the slash to create a lunge effect.
    Last edited by Zorafim; Mar 4, 2018 at 06:32 PM.