Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I wonder if there's profit in MS-DOS era nostalgia?

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

I don't know, but that's as far as my artistic skill will take me

Okay, so, I have a problem... I can't seem to be able to face Levia in any direction besides right and down...

Going to assume more detail is needed and anatomy starts to come into play.

So, you know how the pixels make up the nose and chin? Well, I can only draw those at 90 degree angles, due to how the pixels are made. I tried making it look like she was looking diagonally down, but it just couldn't happen. And if she's looking straight, the proportion of her head becomes all messed up.

Also, I started working on some programming stuff. I was able to implement a couple more things to make swimming more fun, including dolphin jumping! However, for the life of me I simply cannot get basic collisions working. No matter what I do, she just falls right through the starting platform, into the water. I tried all day today to get her standing, with no luck.

haha, sounds like you have the same kinds of struggles with Unity that I have with UE4. You create this amazing function, only to get stuck for hours on something mundane, because you can't find how to do it in the engine.

It's like the #1 thing you're supposed to use the engine for!

I had same sorts of issues with making a function to reset the camera and have to rotate to face the back of the character. It took me HOURS to figure out the engine had a separate function for the rotation of the camera.

Or with menu navigation using keys, which UE4 simply doesn't have a framework for (only mouse navigation is build in).

Still, UE4 does the real hard stuff for me, like the entire 3D rendering and ease to build materials. It also comes packed with lots of default classes like characters classes you can build upon, behaviour trees for AI, physics, animation, etc. I have no experience with Unity, but I always hear people say it's easier to work with, though that might be just the programmers speaking, who prefer C# over C++. On the other hand, in UE4 I can fortunately get away with just visual scripting.

I'm a java programmer, so I had to learn C# from scratch. Still, languages are similar enough that I know what I'm looking for.

I finally figured it out. Though it was less figuring out and more changing things until it stopped not working. Still, I can stand on stuff now! I can do the bare minimum of what a game is supposed to be!
    Now that I've gotten stuck on something basic for more than a day and figured it out through much tedium, does that mean I get to sit in the big boy table?

Speaking of which, how's your game coming? I haven't seen an update in a while. Does that mean you've been getting a lot of tedious work done and will have something fantastic ready for us soon?