Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default How do the fan translations compare to the official release?

Something that I've been curious about. Now that there's an official NA release, in your opinion how do the fan translations stack up compared to the official release?
    Last edited by Kion; Apr 30, 2020 at 09:34 PM.

Not sure about the dialog translations, but many of the infrastructure names are substantially worse in the NA release. Two that jump out at me are S-ATK to MEL-Pwr and Teams to Alliances. Emergency Quests also got renamed something stupid but I can't remember what it is off the top of my head.
    -MikonX
    OG PSO2 real (JP) version
    Too many characters to list

A lot of PSO/PSU terminology got changed for no particular reason, i.e. Support Partner -> Auxiliary. Emergency Quests are now Urgent Quests and shortened to UQ even though we already have another UQ known as Ultimate Quest, so that's definitely not going to cause any confusion for people in the future...unless the plan on renaming Ultimate Quest.

Sato is became Chat. Gurhal became Grahl. It's a mess.
    Le Temps Detruit Tout
    Quote Originally Posted by Maenara View Post
    I am literally not dealing with this.

Those are some pretty weird decisions. I wonder if Segac thought they might be accused of taking advantage of the work the community has done and intentionally made changes, or if that's what came out of the company they outsourced to and nobody bothered checking.

I really don't get the changes, especially since they were all English terms to begin with. Changing for changing's sake I guess, dare to be different!
    Fan Art of my Character & Matoi Defending a City
    Spoiler!

I don't think they will change Urgent Quests to another thing, or anything that has a dub saying it (they will provably not redub it even if there is a huge mistake), but people should send tickets to report those kind of things, specially the ones where one text uses a name and the other text (mission description or whatever) uses another. The translation was outsourced and provably managed by Sega Japan, I don't expect them to lore check any of this. Gurhal is flagrant, and it's only on text, this should be reported and changed, even if it's not a big deal in "PSO2".

Quote Originally Posted by the_importer_ View Post
    I really don't get the changes, especially since they were all English terms to begin with. Changing for changing's sake I guess, dare to be different!
    There is an inherent degree of vagueness in a lot of Japanese text, so translators have some to choose how they translate Japanese text to English. I seriously doubt that the NA PSO2 translation team started with the Tweaker translation. Instead, they both translated the text independently and simply made different choices. The Tweaker translation is solid, but there are places where I like the NA translation better.

For example, I think Urgent Quest is a better name than Emergency Quest. The quests are "urgent" in that they are available for a short amount of time, but they aren't all emergencies. Is VR tower defense training really an emergency?
    "Well, the important thing is, you were mad online about a fictional universe." - Mangini In A Bottle - io9

Quote Originally Posted by Loveless62 View Post
    There is an inherent degree of vagueness in a lot of Japanese text, so translators have some to choose how they translate Japanese text to English. I seriously doubt that the NA PSO2 translation team started with the Tweaker translation. Instead, they both translated the text independently and simply made different choices. The Tweaker translation is solid, but there are places where I like the NA translation better.

For example, I think Urgent Quest is a better name than Emergency Quest. The quests are "urgent" in that they are available for a short amount of time, but they aren't all emergencies. Is VR tower defense training really an emergency?
    In some cases it seems like they have some communication issues within the translation team since you can see various discrepancies, like the S-ATK MAG S-Action; the item in the ExCube Shop is called Dance but on the Mag it is called Barbarous Boogie. Also, there is an Achievement that calls for the use of an Ilios-type Photon Blast, but in game they have translated Ilios as Troy (which is technically accurate).

Quote Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
    Also, there is an Achievement that calls for the use of an Ilios-type Photon Blast, but in game they have translated Ilios as Troy (which is technically accurate).
    I have to nitpick here a bit. "Troy", as in the ancient area of Troy (where most of the Homeric epic Iliad takes place), was called "Ilion", with an 'n' at the end. "Ilios" or phonetically in English "Helios" is the word Sun. So I believe that "Ilios" would be more appropriate given the theme of the game. Then again, they have named one of the five forms as "Ajax", which... was one of the warriors that fought in Troy.

What suffixes have they used in the West version for "Proi (Morning)", "Mera (Day)" and "Nichta (Night)"?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Mits View Post
    What suffixes have they used in the West version for "Proi (Morning)", "Mera (Day)" and "Nichta (Night)"?
    https://github.com/SynthSy/PSO2-Dict...lasts-&-Others

Proi, Imera, Nifta