Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by otakun View Post
    a 9 year sequel?
    If that's the argument you're gonna use, then if you compare the PSO2 from 2012 to NGS, it makes NGS look like a new game even more.

But even comparing today's PSO2 to NGS, the changes to NGS are enough for it be thought of as a new game, even if it's packaged together with PSO2.

You say that NGS is just PSO2 with a fresh coat of pain, but I think the changes in NGS may even be comparable to going from Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate to Monster Hunter World.
    Much better graphics, refined gameplay together with new systems, new story and world, and a major change in the way locations are handled (MH went from small areas that are separated with loading screens to large locations, PSO2 went from randomized instanced areas to large seamless open fields).
    PSO2 EN (Ship 1): Johana
    PSO2 JP (Ship 2): Johana, Ezodagrom, Luppi, Lana, Yukari, Blune, Elysia, Elena
    PSU EN/JP: Johana, Blune, Ezodagrom, Luppi/Johana, Lana

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ezodagrom
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ezodagrom

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneTechs View Post
    im pretty sure youre not caught up with Global right now, so while there are ample ways of leveling, im not convinced youre actually endgame currently, thats including gear
    I know I'm not. There are many things I still don't know and I still have a long way to go because I haven't been able to play all that much lately. So unless you want to be a decent person and help in some way. Get off my back, I seriously don't need any nagging right now.
    PSO2 (NA):

Ship 2 Hu-lvl 26

Ship 1 Bo lvl 12

I've seen some fears in other threads about PSO2 being "neglected".NGS is barely a new game. It is essentially another capital E "Episode" that you can select separately, somewhat like the Episode 1~3 situation we had before. That's why they called it "Not Episode 7" while also implying that it was some kind of big update for PSO2; it is PSO2 content and not some separate new Phantasy Star game, but it doesn't continue the PSO2 plot or mechanics directly like other Episodes. So, the original PSO2 cannot really be "neglected", but at the same time there isn't really anything left to add to that game.

Imagine if Portable 2 was grafted onto the original Universe, instead of being released as a separate game. That is what NGS is.
    Last edited by Strages; Dec 22, 2020 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strages View Post
    Imagine if Portable 2 was grafted onto the original Universe, instead of being released as a separate game. That is what NGS is.
    You don't run into many people saying that PSP2 wasn't a new game though, and regardless, your statement is still inaccurate.

I mean we can swim you guys. You just need eyes to see!

On the topic of JA, this isn't the first time a mechanic was removed from a game. PSO has "JA" in a sense, you needed to time your hits to continue the combo, which was later removed in PSU and you could spam freely, but enough people complained they ultimately added what we now know as "JA" to compensate. I think now with PSO2 is the perfect time to do it again, in PSU's case the gameplay didn't have enough to keep it engaging at times, something like JA was needed, but with the speed and multiple gimmicks and mechanics we have in PSO2, JA is ultimately obsoleted in it's purpose.
    Phantasy Star Lore Whore/ARKS Layer Discord Mod
    カレン (Zysets)- PSO2JP
    Karen - Clementine

Honestly playing without JA on NGS I feel like is going to throw off my muscle memory with JAs in normal PSO2. But they will probably different enough that it won't be that bad. I would have preferred having it though because I liked how the JA circles looked in the initial reveal.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezodagrom View Post
    If that's the argument you're gonna use, then if you compare the PSO2 from 2012 to NGS, it makes NGS look like a new game even more.

But even comparing today's PSO2 to NGS, the changes to NGS are enough for it be thought of as a new game, even if it's packaged together with PSO2.

You say that NGS is just PSO2 with a fresh coat of pain, but I think the changes in NGS may even be comparable to going from Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate to Monster Hunter World.
    Much better graphics, refined gameplay together with new systems, new story and world, and a major change in the way locations are handled (MH went from small areas that are separated with loading screens to large locations, PSO2 went from randomized instanced areas to large seamless open fields).
    Yeah, the problem with your comparisons here is there being a 2 year release difference AND MHW existed to be put on other platforms. It wasn't made to be different but to take the MH series to other consoles and PC. PSO2 doesn't have that excuse here. You can argue against your points with WoW who have done the same thing with keeping it as an expansion and not a new game. Especially since WoW is an MMO while MHW isn't.

Yeah, the problem with your comparisons here is there being a 2 year release difference AND MHW existed to be put on other platforms. It wasn't made to be different but to take the MH series to other consoles and PC. PSO2 doesn't have that excuse here. You can argue against your points with WoW who have done the same thing with keeping it as an expansion and not a new game. Especially since WoW is an MMO while MHW isn't.
    Bringing up the age of the game ignores that the current PSO2 has been in active development throughout these 9 years.
    It's not like they've been creating NGS on the side throughout these 9 years, NGS only entered active development a few years ago (there were news about the PSO2 development team splitting a few years ago).

MHW similarities with previous games are not because of them bringing MH series to other platforms, it's because that's just how many sequels are. Many sequels just refine what was there before while also adding new things, most sequels don't "re-invent the wheel".
    Also the current PSO2 is not an MMO, if anything it's closer to the MH series than it is to MMOs.

Since it's packaged together with PSO2, NGS is an update to PSO2, but, with how little progress is shared and with how much different NGS is from PSO2, it's easily comparable to sequels from other games series. NGS is more comparable to a game sequel that allows the player to import a save than it is to a regular expansion.
    PSO2 EN (Ship 1): Johana
    PSO2 JP (Ship 2): Johana, Ezodagrom, Luppi, Lana, Yukari, Blune, Elysia, Elena
    PSU EN/JP: Johana, Blune, Ezodagrom, Luppi/Johana, Lana

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ezodagrom
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ezodagrom

Quote Originally Posted by Ezodagrom View Post
    Bringing up the age of the game ignores that the current PSO2 has been in active development throughout these 9 years.
    It's not like they've been creating NGS on the side throughout these 9 years, NGS only entered active development a few years ago (there were news about the PSO2 development team splitting a few years ago).

MHW similarities with previous games are not because of them bringing MH series to other platforms, it's because that's just how many sequels are. Many sequels just refine what was there before while also adding new things, most sequels don't "re-invent the wheel".
    Also the current PSO2 is not an MMO, if anything it's closer to the MH series than it is to MMOs.

Since it's packaged together with PSO2, NGS is an update to PSO2, but, with how little progress is shared and with how much different NGS is from PSO2, it's easily comparable to sequels from other games series. NGS is more comparable to a game sequel that allows the player to import a save than it is to a regular expansion.
    Guess we will have to agree to disagree. I think people who are coming into NGS for a new game experience from PSO2 are going to be disappointed and people shouldn't encourage this idea. If they are fine knowing this is just an upgraded PSO2 then it wont be an issue.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree. I think people who are coming into NGS for a new game experience from PSO2 are going to be disappointed and people shouldn't encourage this idea. If they are fine knowing this is just an upgraded PSO2 then it wont be an issue.
    But then chances are that if your perception is the one that reaches their ears, they just won't try it out at all. That's not really a win.
    I mean yes for we the community that's potentially less drama to deal with, but outside of that, less players is rarely a good thing.
    Last edited by Cyclon; Dec 23, 2020 at 05:08 AM.