Default PSO's 20th anniversary is RIGHT NOW

Hi, all.

I haven't been around much lately, but I figured I'd stop by to remind you:

Phantasy Star Online originally released on the Dreamcast in Japan on December 21st 2000, which means that (as of this post) the game has been out for 20 years, 11 hours, and 32 minutes!

Now, did anyone actually get the game at midnight in Japan back in 2000? I have no idea! But regardless...

Happy 20th anniversary, PSO! And here's to 20 more.
    Last edited by Jim; Dec 21, 2020 at 01:08 AM.
    I wrote an AC purchasing guide for JP PSO2 a long time ago. I don't play PSO2 anymore, but I still play Blue Burst sometimes. Maybe I'll catch you on there!

Happy Anniversary PSO. I rented V1 when it first came out in here in the west. Yes we still had video rental stores back then. One of my demo disks had the trailer for it and I was totally excited to try this new cool looking thing. Loved the game but didn't have my own copy until V2. In fact I had to run back to the video store just to get the old key code so I could use my new V2 copy. Loved the game but didn't really get obsessed until PSOX when I could play with three other people on the same console. I quite enjoyed the online community too. Ah good times.

]The Ragol Trilogy: Ragol's Gift, Ragol's Curse, Ragol's Legacy GT Xbox One: Eries Fury

Meanwhile I keep putting away getting into PSO2 and sticking to Phantasy Star Zero and, occasionally, Blue Burst... has it already been 20 years? Cannot believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeze View Post
    Happy Anniversary PSO. I rented V1 when it first came out in here in the west. Yes we still had video rental stores back then. One of my demo disks had the trailer for it and I was totally excited to try this new cool looking thing. Loved the game but didn't have my own copy until V2. In fact I had to run back to the video store just to get the old key code so I could use my new V2 copy. Loved the game but didn't really get obsessed until PSOX when I could play with three other people on the same console. I quite enjoyed the online community too. Ah good times.
    Very cool! I first played my friend's copy of V2 on the Deamcast, just a little bit. It was the Gamecube version that really hooked me (again, because of couch coop). Most of my online play was, however, done on the Xbox version.

It's a shame the Xbox version requires an old XBL account to play offline. But at least we have BB now!

Quote Originally Posted by BWS-1 View Post
    Meanwhile I keep putting away getting into PSO2 and sticking to Phantasy Star Zero and, occasionally, Blue Burst... has it already been 20 years? Cannot believe it.
    I played JP PSO2 a fair bit, and ended up right back in BB. So I can't say I blame you! lol

I've been meaning to try Zero; I've heard good things.
    I wrote an AC purchasing guide for JP PSO2 a long time ago. I don't play PSO2 anymore, but I still play Blue Burst sometimes. Maybe I'll catch you on there!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I've been meaning to try Zero; I've heard good things.
    I love/hate Zero. I mean, love it enough to having finished several times the Eternal Tower, and that, for the most part with a faulty DSi that would just shut-down instead of going from sleep mode to resuming gameplay... *

My main problem with PSZ is that it seems it could have benefited from being on anything but the DS... Heck, a 3DS release would have made the performance issues non-existent, unless of course they would have pushed it as they did on the DS. When performance issues become gameplay issues that you either ''learn to live with it or gets you to drop the game'', that's not good. Those happen every time a menu is brought up, never mind doing that WHEN you have other non-menu related slowdowns.

Still, for all its faults, it is one of the most intricately balanced and fine-tuned PSO I know. Max level classic 100, low HP cap that can make a HUcast with 1k health feel squishy if he isn't careful. The addition of the Roll (with invinc window) can still manage to feel like a Dark Soul when you're down to kitting some boosted rare enemy spawn that wipped all your party and you can't even catch a break to pop in menu to drop a Moon Atomizer. I've had sweaty hands at some encounters and I'm not even talking about Humilias on Super Hard either (F this guy. F him forever).

Overall, I even wanted to try all races AND classes for the balancing they brought to techniques as well. For Casts? Can still use fluids now thanks to having photon arts.

In short, PSZ is what PSO should have been without being too PSU-like... and while being sorta like what some things in PSO2 are (very few, it's too few to even be called proto-PSO2) but I still wish they could have more of that formula. I want more NPC-friends to bring along than the select few from story, I want more weapons, the artstyle for PSZ is also ''hit or miss'' with a lot of the weapons (even some cool-sounding ones in description) being nothing but retextured with awesome weapon design being few and far between.

*sigh*

well this was longer than I thought.

Still, I'm hoping another PSZ gets released. I'll buy whatever console it shows up on without hesitation. I did it for the DSi (twice, second time got a Japanese copy in Japan. And it was hard to find given it had been like, 6 years after release, but at least I got it for cheap!).

Maybe I should give PSO2 a chance, but I feel it's not so much the PSO I think I want, and more of a hybrid mega-gatcha game with overwhelming meta-skills and very specific functional builds as well as oppressing ''get good AND get good gear with the ONE optimal skill setup to MAYBE clear this one stage - which is the only stage/alert/whatever you can do to sorta level proper at this point - in UNDER 1 HOUR 40 MINUTES OF CONSTANT HARASSMENT AND ONSLAUGHT WHERE YOU MIGHT STILL GET ONE-SHOTTED AT ANY GIVEN MOMENT''. I just can't.

Maybe I'll just wait for PSO3.

* EDIT: turns out my newer DSi also does that still about 2 out of 5 times, and I read it's been happening from anything like DS to 3DS to even the Switch now. Guess that's one more thing other than a mario game Nintendo are being consistently bringing on from one newer generation of faulty hardware to another...
    Last edited by BWS-1; Jan 11, 2021 at 07:47 PM.

..Somehow I missed this thread..
    Miranda F Newman Fighter (PSO2: NG) Ship 2
    ~Past Characters~
    DC PSO: Silhouette HUnewearl 100 » 102 (Ver.2)
    GC PSO: Silhouette HUnewearl 161 :: Za'leshea FOnewearl 172
    PSU: Eternia F Beast FF15 Lvl142(PC) :: Elemia F Cast GM20 lvl174(360)

I love how SEGA doesn't care. Imagine a PSO:BB remaster on modern consoles. Or even a remake. But no, the only thing we get is New Genesis. Go figure.

Check the dates. SEGA's already done their 20th anniversary event with the PSO2 they had finally brought here. Ragol memory packs and those Ash/Kireek/Rico partner quests

besides, if they did bring back PSOBB now or in the future, they'd have to flex the lawyer muscles on the servers... Be careful for what you wish for.