Default Suggestion: should damage aggro be removed?

If there's one thing to love about the monster hunter games it is that the monster behaviour isn't predictable in the sense that you don't know when it is going to attack who. The thrill of the moment of when you are 'safe' for a while and then the monster turning to you to blast towards you really adds to the experience.

As a casual or mostly a weaker player i noticed my experience in pso2 to always feel very passive and not too engaging because the ones dealing the most damage always get chased and im just attacking from the sides. This especially with a ranged class like ranger or force.

Do you guys think the game should get rid of damage induced aaggro?
    Last edited by Agitated_AT; Mar 22, 2021 at 11:05 AM.

Yes. Aggro should scale with the amount of accessories you have equipped. Pads count as 3. Any wings count as 2. Anime face counts as an extra accessory.
    Last edited by DevastatingJuxtapose; Mar 21, 2021 at 09:49 PM.
    Consume the fallacy

no, either pick up the pace or just deal with it. every MMO has this too so its not like its going to disappear. The A.I. always has attacks that sometimes veer off from its main target to attack the rest of the group.
    Cast - Gt 50, Fg 20, Gm 25
    PSO2 NGS
    Quote Originally Posted by the_importer_ View Post
    Tell you what mate, I'll decide when my topic goes into the QQ post or when it needs to be it's own thing, and you can do the same for yours. Alright, cool. Cheers

Could be interesting, though I doubt they'll do it: / If anything, NGS is leaning into the "just chill from a distance" playstyle even harder it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclon View Post
    Could be interesting, though I doubt they'll do it: / If anything, NGS is leaning into the "just chill from a distance" playstyle even harder it seems.
    same aggro mechanic is still in NGS which lets casuals be more casual. boss still tends to ignore the aggro for other attacks then go back to the current target from what I saw
    Cast - Gt 50, Fg 20, Gm 25
    PSO2 NGS
    Quote Originally Posted by the_importer_ View Post
    Tell you what mate, I'll decide when my topic goes into the QQ post or when it needs to be it's own thing, and you can do the same for yours. Alright, cool. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneTechs View Post
    same aggro mechanic is still in NGS which lets casuals be more casual. boss still tends to ignore the aggro for other attacks then go back to the current target from what I saw
    Yeah, I didn't mean that there was a change in aggro(or at least I couldn't tell). I was talking about Ranger and Force, the launcher-less and talis-less versions, at the very least. Ranger can stay away and shoot forever effortlessly with the added mobility and removal of JA, and Force has Rod shoot baked in(and no melee hitbox on rod normals unless I'm mistaken?) and a generous guard action.
    Grain of salt since I didn't play yet obviously, but these certainly feel like classes meant for people who just want to chill.

The idea of enemies aggroing the highest damage dealer makes sense in that it is generally considered that the highest damage dealers are also the better performers of their role (there are exceptions, like for example spamming Zanverse in a melee-heavy group). This means that the game presents an extra challenge to them to keep them on their toes, while allowing the rest to be able to focus on less concurrent combat mechanics.

I'd say that most of PSO2 major bosses didn't really have many single-target mechanics that only affected the highest threat or a small area around them, but field-wide mechanics:
    - Arms pretty much hits the entire battlefield with everything, and the crystals hit predetermined positions on the platform
    - I remember Loser single-targetting only with his sword impale during fast/purple phase, everything else was field-wide
    - Apprentice was waves of enemies, so each enemy has their own target
    - Deus had only the dragonheads home in on high threat targets if I remember correctly
    - Persona was moving around according to highest threat, but everyone had to deal with the mechanics because hitting him from behind did like 90% less damage.
    - Darkness in phases 1 and 3 had again field wide abilities, and in phase 2 it was same as Persona where you had to go in front to avoid damage resistance, but field-wide mechanics are still the majority of what we have to pay attention at.

In fact, I can only remember of Mother and Erythron Dragon as fights were having aggro brought you at a major disadvantage over the rest of the group. Now if you want to discuss about the behaviour of other enemies like the Free Field bosses...

I think both could coexist: more intelligent foes could use the current aggro system as the more beast-type ones could use MH's.