Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I honestly expect pso2ngs to be rushed.

Sega is really hurting from previous 2 'big' title losing money. (sakura wars did poorly, and sakura revolution absolutely crashed and burned)

I won't be surprised if the sega business side forced pso2 team to rush thing out just so they can pad the red.

Quote Originally Posted by SolRiver View Post

Sega is really hurting from previous 2 'big' title losing money. (sakura wars did poorly, and sakura revolution absolutely crashed and burned)

I won't be surprised if the sega business side forced pso2 team to rush thing out just so they can pad the red.
    I'm curious why you think that. Nothing about NGS really seems rushed other than how bare bones the content looks so far. But classic pso2 was also like that. Like, there's a difference between a game being designed around adding content in the long run specifically instead of making a "full" game then building on it, and rushing a release. GLOBAL was rushed, you can tell by the weird small issues it had, like typos and random weird line reads in an otherwise good dub. And... you know, the blindly fast pace that they released things.

I guess my point is that the lack of content is most likely by design, which I have my misgivings about, but isn't the same as rushing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kondibon View Post
    I'm curious why you think that. Nothing about NGS really seems rushed other than how bare bones the content looks so far. But classic pso2 was also like that. Like, there's a difference between a game being designed around adding content in the long run specifically instead of making a "full" game then building on it, and rushing a release. GLOBAL was rushed, you can tell by the weird small issues it had, like typos and random weird line reads in an otherwise good dub. And... you know, the blindly fast pace that they released things.

I guess my point is that the lack of content is most likely by design, which I have my misgivings about, but isn't the same as rushing it.
    The judgement is still out, since the game isnt release yet. But, what I am hoping to not see is area that felt cut. However I am expecting them.

The judgement is still out, since the game isnt release yet. But, what I am hoping to not see is area that felt cut. However I am expecting them.
    What would count as "cut"? Because there's plenty of stuff that looks like we aren't going to get to it for a while based on the roadmap, but planning on releasing something later isn't the same as cutting it. Especially in a live game like pso2 that's expected to get updates anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kondibon View Post
    What would count as "cut"? Because there's plenty of stuff that looks like we aren't going to get to it for a while based on the roadmap, but planning on releasing something later isn't the same as cutting it. Especially in a live game like pso2 that's expected to get updates anyway.
    I think a good example would be pokemon sword/shield. One example would be victory road. All other pkmn games had a relatively long dungeon area for players to progress through before reaching the elite four, like a test of some sort. In pkmn sw/sh, it is just one straight short road. Another area of noticeable cut, when a city had a major crisis from a gigamax pkmn, usually player would arrive to help solve the problem... but the story just went "oh dont worry, leon (champ) took care of it" and skipped. I havent even mentioned the countless pkmn that basically could not be brought over into the game.

pkmn sw/sh case is pretty extreme though, a game that should have used 6 years to develop end up forced to release in 4 years. 24 months is A LOT

hopefully, if pso2ngs was rushed, it was only by a few months. If i had to guess what pso2ngs get hurt, it would be some class getting shafted, missing a few monsters types, some progression feel not smooth (like a weird progression wall somewhere), some very tedious grind to keep player in a loop for longer (so dev can buy time), and story take super long ass time to get to boss fight.
    Last edited by SolRiver; Jun 6, 2021 at 07:36 PM.

I think a good example would be pokemon sword/shield. One example would be victory road. All other pkmn games had a relatively long dungeon area for players to progress through before reaching the elite four, like a test of some sort. In pkmn sw/sh, it is just one straight short road. Another area of noticeable cut, when a city had a major crisis from a gigamax pkmn, usually player would arrive to help solve the problem... but the story just went "oh dont worry, leon (champ) took care of it" and skipped. I havent even mentioned the countless pkmn that basically could not be brought over into the game.

pkmn sw/sh case is pretty extreme though, a game that should have used 6 years to develop end up forced to release in 4 years. 24 months is A LOT

hopefully, if pso2ngs was rushed, it was only by a few months.
    Something like Pokemon doesn't have an update structure like pso2 ngs at all though, that's why I was confused.

PSO2 is Sega's biggest video game cash cow. They don't need to rush it. They could have kept releasing NGS costumes if it was only about money.
    NGS release seems to be following the same pattern as base PSO2.
    Sega has 7 years of rereleasing updated costumes to suck money from whales.
    NGS was funded with Microsoft's help.

There could easily be issues but this has nothing to do with Nintendo's lack of giving a shit about pokemon cause Nintendo knows it'[s fans are giant suckers and will literally buy cardboard that you have to put together yourself. Sega knows PSO2 fans will drop the game when it gets old, which is why they are changing the game in the first place.

I cant find the post but NGS has been basically in development since sometime in 2017, it was evident that it started with lack of content etc because you knew they were already pulling people away and allocating others to work on NGS alongside job listings. Throw Covid on top toward the end I guess if you want but NGS isn't some game they threw together in like less than a year and a half if you're getting that impression.
    Cast - Gt 50, Fg 20, Gm 25
    PSO2 NGS
    Quote Originally Posted by the_importer_ View Post
    Tell you what mate, I'll decide when my topic goes into the QQ post or when it needs to be it's own thing, and you can do the same for yours. Alright, cool. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclon View Post
    The IP actually wasn't in a different place at all, except maybe outside of Japan where the IP always barely existed. PSO2 didn't really do anything special that the previous games were not doing. Obviously PSO2 makes money, but one of Sega's headliners? Not a chance. Mind, I'm not saying it's "niche" either, as whether something is "niche" or not is incredibly relative, and it can easily be changed because it's not an innate quality whatsoever.

... this is bothersome to research. At a glance and to keep it simple(both ways), PSO2 Global and JP were the two highest grossing F2P games they had back in August 2020, and their F2P amount to slightly less than a third of their gaming division, according to this article:
    https://mmos.com/news/phantasy-star-...een-april-june

It's on me for never taking the time to thouroughyl fact check all this stuff though. I could have things to present to you, and I don't.

The roadmap really was not much more "content-rich" at all. and PSO2's idea of free fields are not really the same thing as NGS's idea of open fields. We are starting with six classes, with multiple classes coming within the first six months. It took a year (eventually two years, disregarding Episode 6) to get a single class before.

Okay, disclaimer, I'm not trying to bum everyone down. Mine was a reaction of surprise and confusion, so I don't have much of a wish to fight you, if you're excited, cool!
    With that being said, I do think you're factually incorrect here. First, class concepts are ripped straight from the previous game to a much higher degree than usual(same weapons lineup with generally similar gameplay, very... evocative skill trees as well), second, you can't both push that we started at three and that we got none for a while since Fi, Gu and Te came pretty fast, and third, areas in New Genesis are individually pretty small, though I get the feeling this isn't something everyone's realized. The enemy variety is also, thus far, well kinda disappointing there's not much of a way around it, and with four new zones came/will come, proportionally, very few new things to fight. PSO2 was guilty of palette swapping no doubt, but, still, overall, with two bosses each time most of them brand new and a bunch of new regular ones per zone at least... we had housing too, and a full mag system.

What they seem to be doing, is applying PSO2's more... leisurely pace as an aging game, to NGS, immediately. Which makes sense in a number of ways mind you, but I definitely don't think it's ideal.
    I agree with everything. For the first time in my life I'm not hyped about a Phantasy Star game.

how about just shut up and let everyone plays the game ? you are acting like PSO2 got all of its contents on day one.