Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

The game is out for almost a year so I think it's best for me to finally write my opinion about this game. I've thought about this for a long time. Be prepared, because it'll be long. I tried my best to be unaffected by other's opinion while writing this. Okay here we go:

Updates are handled in a fashion similar to PSU minus the "wait for a year before even getting one". Instead 'it's get an update and have barely anything in it to hold people over to the next update.'

So basically I just dislike the overall approach the team is taking with the game. I have no problem with the game itself, in fact I'm so hoping this game saves me from FFXIV because I'm REAL tired of that game.
    Miranda F Newman Fighter (PSO2: NG) Ship 2
    ~Past Characters~
    DC PSO: Silhouette HUnewearl 100 » 102 (Ver.2)
    GC PSO: Silhouette HUnewearl 161 :: Za'leshea FOnewearl 172
    PSU: Eternia F Beast FF15 Lvl142(PC) :: Elemia F Cast GM20 lvl174(360)

Well, I thought I'd get back into PSO after some extended time away (and by extended time I mean I played PSO and PSU). Didn't care much for PSO2 when I first installed and then a friend of mine told me about NGS, so I figured I'd give it a shot when it first came out. Like many of you said, it was a glorified beta, so I set it down. I figured I'd come back and see if things have improved since.

The good: The rappies are cute, far cuter than PSO2C. I love the open movement rather than running from room to room - the open world aspect really did the game a lot of good. Multiweapon is good, though needs better execution.

The bad:
    Where do I start?
    Does Sega actually give a shit about games not called Yakuza, Total War, Persona or Sonic (and the jury's still out on that one) anymore? I swear, this game is so poorly programmed, it's not funny. The interface is still cobbled together incorrectly from Japanese (L2 trigger to go right? Um...we don't read from right to left unless it's manga) and so many things are broken (hello, nonexistent subpallete binding) it's pathetic. Shit that seems completely off and why am I seeing PSO2C-only stuff in NGS when that stuff should be walled off?

The amount of "throw money at us" shit that is in the game is embarrassing. Hell, I play Destiny 2 on a regular basis, I think Bungie is out of their minds with Eververse and yet they're practical saints when compared to how much free shit they give out in comparison to Sega. The store feels like it wants to be a gacha mobile festival, but they didn't even get around to doing that. And of course, that still depends if it works. I got a Annivo Mamixo whatevero ticket to Use to change my mag, and yet somehow I can't do anything with it other than ping-pong it back and forth between inventory and storage. If it's PSO2C-based (and the description says it's NGS exclusive), then something is wrong.

The game is grindy, but fun. Even still, there's not enough missions and even with laying waste to the countryside, there still doesn't feel like enough to do. I'm not expecting FF14-levels of "everything under the sun", but seriously, could we actually do something with all this? Wipe off the Phantasy Star aspects and this game is a generic scifi MMO that even MiHoYo couldn't fuck up. Again, I play D2, Bungie takes lumps for story and gameplay and yet they seem to have done better than this whole mess.

A few years back I beta'd a game called EOS (Eon of Soul) that was so bad it never made it out of beta. I feel like someone at Sega looked at that disaster and said, "Hold my beer."

Part of me is still amazed that Microsoft wanted Sega to bring this to the US. Was it rose-colored-glasses from their involvement in PSU? Was it just something to tweak Sony for? Or were they deluded into thinking that Sega had a plan with this? I have no idea. Apparently neither do the people in Asia & Japan Studio Div. 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinzakura View Post
    I got a Annivo Mamixo whatevero ticket to Use to change my mag, and yet somehow I can't do anything with it other than ping-pong it back and forth between inventory and storage. If it's PSO2C-based (and the description says it's NGS exclusive), then something is wrong.
    It's a button "Register new form" under Equipment -> Mag section.

My personal complaint: with this anniversary shit a game became rushed to the point of a completely no room to rest.
    It's always: EQ's, concerts, endless storms, which can occur even during an other storm, and dread grinding with rappies now. I didn't mention a daily necessities like golden crates in Kvaris or collecting quartz and food.
    And we have an LQ incoming today. I'm burnt out to the point of dropping it all...
    Last edited by Zulastar; Jul 13, 2022 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulastar View Post
    It's a button "Register new form" under Equipment -> Mag section.
    Thanks. I actually tried that several times before, but weirdly enough, the new mag didn't show up until after you suggested that. Chalk that up to yet another broken thing, or just blind luck.

My personal complaint: with this anniversary shit a game became rushed to the point of a completely no room to rest.
    It's always: EQ's, concerts, endless storms, which can occur even during an other storm, and dread grinding with rappies now. I didn't mention a daily necessities like golden crates in Kvaris or collecting quartz and food.
    And we have an LQ incoming today. I'm burnt out to the point of dropping it all...
    I actually don't mind so much, if it wasn't for the fact that it's all grindy. Having that level of variety works. Though I do question the endless repetition of concerts and "movie concerts" (seriously, how hard is it to call it a viewing or something more accurate?). I suppose, coming from the days of PSO and PSU where we were lucky if they paid attention to us at all, this is better than nothing, but nowadays, this just ain't going to cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulastar View Post

i dont understand how a game with so little to do has YOU with no room to rest. all the things you listed are completely optional, you dont have to rush every storm for Gigantix farming, you dont have to show up for the concert boost basically until 00:11 and dread farming brings in some nice meseta is not something you have to do every time you get on.

not to mention the LQ is basically DoA basically just for w/e reason does not care to put more incentive to run it outside a limited time Scratch for tickets you dont always get every run. This game has so much rest time in between things its unreal, if this was base PSO2 content then maybe i'd sympathize but with the current state of the game, no, I can't take this serious. you'd have to be idk incredibly casual or something, with extremely limited time to play to really feel this way everytime you get on.
    Cast - Gt 50, Fg 20, Gm 25
    PSO2 NGS
    Quote Originally Posted by the_importer_ View Post
    Tell you what mate, I'll decide when my topic goes into the QQ post or when it needs to be it's own thing, and you can do the same for yours. Alright, cool. Cheers

Things i like
    Open world (although it maybe could have been done a bit better)
    multi-weapons reduces the skill gap of players by allowing them to effectively run two weapons on one bar.
    fashion DUH

Things that could be better
    Story (the current story is wack and we still dont even know what the heck we are here for besides just helping out where we can like we have no clear objective other than kill dark falz i guess)
    Twin daggers is terrible for damage and honestly most of its kit would better be suited for soaring blades imo... (there is this one perk that makes the weapon action serve as a sweet SB style gap closer)
    Ik this is going to sound stupid but the game isnt grindy enough.. what i mean is that when they release new PAs and techs they just drop them into your characters knowledge instead of making them into farmable drops from green chests or whatever..
    Geography and safe havens.... oh geez here i go for an open world game they have done well in the variety of biomes but the scale is miniscule and they dont transition very well into each other... it feels like the game isnt much and isnt meant to be much... as for safe havens i would say central aelio is the best one they have so far but suffers from lack of thing to do i feel safe havens should have a place to access a personal quarters and a building for alliance hq. there were a couple of buildings in central i though would be perfect for those sorts of things but sadly none in retem or kvaris..
    Weapons series.. there just arent enough for people whose playstyle might differ my favorite weapon potential was from resurgir series and it is obsolet now so pls sega make a mk2 resurgir or something... also it would be nice to see unique weapons with rare or purchaseable drops that wouldnt be made for multi weapons but would alter or enhance one or all of a weapons PAs in some way...

Just started but...

The story is total garbage compared to classic. I skipped it after enduring the utter generic tripe I was being subjected to and I plan to skip all of the story from here on out.

I like that some of the more tedious things have been made account based so I can avoid at least some of the extra grinding with characters.

I hate being forced to do the story, particularly when no effort is being exercised to provide a good one. If I wanted this kind of story I'd go watch some bargain bin shounen.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesheenku View Post
    Just started but...

The story is total garbage compared to classic. I skipped it after enduring the utter generic tripe I was being subjected to and I plan to skip all of the story from here on out.

I like that some of the more tedious things have been made account based so I can avoid at least some of the extra grinding with characters.

I hate being forced to do the story, particularly when no effort is being exercised to provide a good one. If I wanted this kind of story I'd go watch some bargain bin shounen.
    Thanks FF14 for making every developer think shitty story should be forced onto everyone to unlock zones and content.
    Last edited by Shiyo; Nov 6, 2022 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by classicburger View Post
    NGS has been out for a while now and it's probably a good time to share our thoughts on what has become better or in some cases worse than what most of us enjoy. Keep in mind this thread is mainly about each individual's opinion so there is no need to try and debate each other into changing his / her opinion. I'll be starting things off with:

Battle Speed / Tempo - I am a combat freak and while I feel like the new combat is not bad I find I am missing how fast the tempo was in
    the old PSO2, the motion was also very fluid because of the smoother cancels.

Boss Battle Camera - Unlike the old PSO2 with a behind the back third person view camera, zooming out removes a sense of immersion in the action making me feel like I'm playing some RTS game. Turning off the option also makes the game quite unplayable because of the lock-on camera.

Lock-on Camera - It's just bad as it is now. On top of how difficult it has become to lock on to a part you want, most of the time the camera will be behind the boss blocking everything in your view.

Salon and face editing - This has been around since forever but the NGS salon is worse for face editing. There is a big difference between the face inside the salon and outside the salon. I get the feeling the face has been warped and deformed to an abomination. I'd stick with the old Salon when editing faces and the NGS salon for editing body.

NGS Body - I like it, specifically type 2.

There's probably more to the list but I'll add them later on.
    i totally agree with this and have more to add even..

there is a lack of photon art options compared to when I started base and that might be why combat feels so rarely lacking

two birds with one stone here but i think that in addition to being able to turn off boss camera angle you should be able to use your personal camera settings with normal camera movement and this would solve both the BBC (lol) and the LoC problems for most people as those wouldnt JUST be used for screenshots but for gameplay as well....

on another note entirely is something less important
    Most towns other that aelio are small and there isnt much to them.. all of your stuff is crammed into one spot which is convenient but leaves something to be desired in my mind... obviously this is kind of unfix-able but eh advise for future and all that..