Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1

    Default PSO2 Vanilla vs NGS Vanilla

    No this isn't about ice cream

    So I've been reading that both base games were rather empty in terms of content and frankly I've been thinking about PSO2 classic a lot and how back then I remember distinctively being VERY busy playing the game for the first couple of months. I don't ever remember complaining that there was nothing to do, PSO2 was my addiction and I never dropped it for very long periods of time to go play other games while I waited for content to come back on its first year.

    Meanwhile we have NGS, It feels incredibly off to be able to be done with everything in less than 2 weeks and logging in for daily/weeklies and just not bothering with the game for the rest of the day or week and devoting more time to playing other games because theres just not much to do in NGS. I don't rock collect anymore, it feels pointless especially with the decent amount I already have (rock collecting = artificially keeping you on the game longer), I dont gather unless it's a daily req and all I do is just collect daily Alpha reactors then log off.

    ----------------------

    So while I'm trying not to post a wall-o-text about this whole thing, for those who were playing PSO2 back in 2012 to current times (Global server starting players need not respond for obvious reasons), what is your opinion on both base games? I am just misremembering everything? For a game that began development back in 2017, you would think there would be so much more to do.
    Cast - Gt 50, Fg 20, Gm 25

    Quote Originally Posted by the_importer_ View Post
    Tell you what mate, I'll decide when my topic goes into the QQ post or when it needs to be it's own thing, and you can do the same for yours. Alright, cool. Cheers

  2. #2

    Default

    Vanilla PSO2 was basically unlock explorarion and then muruguru the area you just unlocked, everything is instanced, no emergency quests, no gathering, no dailies until months after release, TA became the main way to make meseta...
    NGS feels more empty because you don't have to start from scratch and can hold onto your Kras items. Classes that got released years down the line in PSO2 are coming at the end of this month.

    Also in vanilla PSO2, unless you were playing the right race or had enough stats in your mag you couldn't even equip the best rod (ガーランド?) at the time forcing you to minmax.

    Please don't post a wall of text.
    Last edited by FOnewearl-Lina; Sep 18, 2021 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Pretty sure it was Garland that was the unequippable rod...
    I don't need a signature pic, I would end up changing it all the time.

  3. #3

    Default

    No this isn't about ice cream
    why

    Yes, you are remembering correctly, I believe it's because NGS is not a real PSO successor. It's a Black Desert rip-off or similar if I think about it now.

    A true PSO game will have these traits:
    • Very repetitive and addicting
    • A grand scale of the stars and the universe
    • A lobby that you will never want to leave
    • OST that will play even in your sleep


    iirc TA's, boss runs and rare hunting, i hate ぐるぐる, was fortunate enough to have friends that run full quests on JP ship01 and that made the experience so much better

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneTechs View Post
    No this isn't about ice cream

    So I've been reading that both base games were rather empty in terms of content and frankly I've been thinking about PSO2 classic a lot and how back then I remember distinctively being VERY busy playing the game for the first couple of months. I don't ever remember complaining that there was nothing to do, PSO2 was my addiction and I never dropped it for very long periods of time to go play other games while I waited for content to come back on its first year.
    Launch PSO2 had alot of padding to mask its lack of content (the 90 items client orders to unlock the lvl 30 lock, being stuck with very limited choices of quests between lvl 20 and 30), but the biggest difference between PSO2 and NGS that allowed PSO2 to remain interesting is that it had a steady stream of content released throughout its first year.

    PSO2 had the first episode climax and Dark Falz Elder 5 months after launch, meanwhile NGS is only going to get its 2nd chapter of the story in the same amount of time.
    Last edited by Ezodagrom; Sep 19, 2021 at 05:19 AM.
    PSO2 EN (Ship 1): Johana
    PSO2 JP (Ship 2): Johana, Ezodagrom, Luppi, Lana, Yukari, Blune, Elysia, Elena
    PSU EN/JP: Johana, Blune, Ezodagrom, Luppi/Johana, Lana

    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ezodagrom
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ezodagrom

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by classicburger View Post
    iirc TA's, boss runs and rare hunting, i hate ぐるぐる, was fortunate enough to have friends that run full quests on JP ship01 and that made the experience so much better
    1. Find map with loop
    2. Run this loop like hamster, kill the same mobs over and over again for 3 hours
    3. Get Garland
    4. Profit
    Sega realises that people aren't actually playing the game because they can simply buy the latest rare from player shop and makes them untradable...

    Speaking about friends, teams, and groups, all of this is already in place for NGS from PSO2, which makes it a lot easier to find people to do stuff with as opposed to having to set up a group from scratch.
    I don't need a signature pic, I would end up changing it all the time.

  6. #6

    Default

    PSO2 felt busy on release but a lot of that was busywork (clear this to progress, get an S rank in that to unlock a feature etc) and/or felt exciting and new because we were new players and, in my case at least, pretty shitty ones too. Just getting halfdecent equipment felt like a great undertaking, and I remember following a guruguru MPA and trying to catch up with my useless newbie hunter equipment.

    This doesn't happen in NGS, not only because the level cap is low but also because the player actually playing the game knows what they're doing this time.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TehCubey View Post
    PSO2 felt busy on release but a lot of that was busywork (clear this to progress, get an S rank in that to unlock a feature etc) and/or felt exciting and new because we were new players and, in my case at least, pretty shitty ones too. Just getting halfdecent equipment felt like a great undertaking, and I remember following a guruguru MPA and trying to catch up with my useless newbie hunter equipment.

    This doesn't happen in NGS, not only because the level cap is low but also because the player actually playing the game knows what they're doing this time.
    There's also just not that much to learn and get better at when it comes to NGS' combat, at the moment. It's straightforward.

  8. #8

    Default

    No, there is definitely a lot of room for improvement in terms of personal skill in this game. Otherwise everyone would be clearing the bujin cocoon in 40 seconds, which is obviously not the case.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TehCubey View Post
    No, there is definitely a lot of room for improvement in terms of personal skill in this game. Otherwise everyone would be clearing the bujin cocoon in 40 seconds, which is obviously not the case.
    It would be ludicrous to say there isn't any room, but your example is one of mastery, essentially. Which, especially in an action game, takes work, yes. But I'm talking about learning, which is particularly relevant when no content in a game requires mastery.

    You're not a beginner for long when it comes to NGS' combat, is what I was saying. At least that's how it feels. You don't have to spend much time getting better at the game to accomplish... things. Which can be a good, or a bad thing, depends on the person. But in terms of merely keeping players occupied... yeah.
    Last edited by Cyclon; Sep 19, 2021 at 01:48 PM.

  10. #10

    Default

    I watched a few vtubers play NGS. They certainly had a lot of room to grow - kinda like me and many other players back in 2012/13. You don't need to spend much time ingame to accomplish things - because you are a PSO2 veteran. So am I. But many new players aren't.

    And that's the biggest difference between vanilla PSO2 and vanilla NGS. Back then we were all new. Now, we've been playing this for years. This both creates expectations regarding content, and means we are generally better at the game so can clear what is available faster.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: Jul 5, 2021, 02:21 AM
  2. [SOLVED]Unable to play through either vanilla PSO2 or Tweaker
    By IridescentIris04 in forum Tech Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jul 27, 2016, 10:03 PM
  3. Chocalate or Vanilla Icecream?
    By Cowboy in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Mar 21, 2003, 11:20 PM
  4. Throw Out Vanilla Ice Cream
    By amoralist in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Mar 20, 2003, 05:46 PM
  5. Mmm, Vanilla Coke
    By Ian D in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Jul 10, 2002, 08:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •