Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rumor: SEGA working on Phantasy Star Online 2’s successor as their next ‘Super Game’,

http://segabits.com/blog/2021/12/10/...will-use-nfts/

https://twitter.com/makino180/status...lWkHezNpQ&s=19

Its not hard to see that SEGA’s Phantasy Star Online 2 has been a massive success for the company, so much so that it recently that it got a graphical update with Phantasy Star Online: New Genesis. But the company is already ’embracing the future’ with them planning the successor, if this new rumor is to be believed. The rumor comes from Japanese user Makino180 that says:

• Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis will be supported for only 5 more years.
    • Phantasy Star Crew’s 3rd Division is in planning stages of the next “Super Game” and is aimed to be finished in under 5 years.
    • Phantasy Star Online veteran Satoshi Sakai will spearhead the project
    • Plans are to make the next “Super Game” running on Microsoft Azure Cloud Servers.
    • SEGA is thinking of using NFT Blockchain technology for its monetization to prolong the value and wants to spearhead the future of Gacha Games which will implement a possible SNS Distribution of virtual items.
    • Initial Budget for this “Super Game” is 5 times the budget of normal SEGA AAA Games!
    • The main audience of the new “Super Game” is the Western audience.

While gamers dislike NFTs, Blockchain technology, it seems that companies and developers see a avenue for them to be used in games. What is your thoughts on the rumored, next, “Super Game” by the developers that made Phantasy Star Online 2?
    Last edited by Maulcun; Dec 11, 2021 at 12:15 AM.

i'd be amazed if pso2:ngs actually lasts even 5 years

Quote Originally Posted by lunartear View Post
    i'd be amazed if pso2:ngs actually lasts even 5 years
    Me too.

company barely survives on NGS money and Atlas so they want to get into NFTs, man what a time we're living in.

I suppose this explains why they're sticking to their guns with 6 months per field and story, all the content is so stretched until the next title hits that its perfect for them. Keep selling all the stockholm players phasion every 2 weeks, they'll keep paying, output as little content as possible over time while maintaining pace on the current project. EZ money, less work.

idk for me its like, why bother with the game, might as well play once every year since its going to die off by the time PSO3 is out and we're so lucky that its guaranteed they're going to make everyones investments null and void so you re-invest your time, money and well life into that instead.
    Cast - Gt 50, Fg 20, Gm 25
    PSO2 NGS
    Quote Originally Posted by the_importer_ View Post
    Tell you what mate, I'll decide when my topic goes into the QQ post or when it needs to be it's own thing, and you can do the same for yours. Alright, cool. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneTechs View Post
    company barely survives on NGS money and Atlas so they want to get into NFTs, man what a time we're living in.

I suppose this explains why they're sticking to their guns with 6 months per field and story, all the content is so stretched until the next title hits that its perfect for them. Keep selling all the stockholm players phasion every 2 weeks, they'll keep paying, output as little content as possible over time while maintaining pace on the current project. EZ money, less work.

idk for me its like, why bother with the game, might as well play once every year since its going to die off by the time PSO3 is out and we're so lucky that its guaranteed they're going to make everyones investments null and void so you re-invest your time, money and well life into that instead.
    With that being said, assuming that the above rumor is untrue, leaving NGS to die could kill the franchise outright.

... But it's not like we can do all that much about it either way. Unless you're up for doing some full-time unpaid advertising... which probably wouldn't make a difference either.

In any case... if that was the plan from the start... that doesn't make much sense to me. If it's them adapting... I mean... good? Maybe? Can't say I've been enjoying NGS much...

it's scary, I hope it's fake.

Especially for the NFT.

"Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis will be supported for only 5 more years" --> only ?

And what makes this rumor in any way believable?

Quote Originally Posted by TehCubey View Post
    And what makes this rumor in any way believable?
    idk i dont like to rule things out but if its not true then oh well but given how things have been going for the company the past couple of years I wouldnt rule it out right away. we'd all have to literally wait and see for roughly idk about a year or two before its release when they announce the title.

my smartass answer to you would have been: as believable as the clowns who think NFTs are actually worth any kind of monetary value but also deserve to lose their money.
    Cast - Gt 50, Fg 20, Gm 25
    PSO2 NGS
    Quote Originally Posted by the_importer_ View Post
    Tell you what mate, I'll decide when my topic goes into the QQ post or when it needs to be it's own thing, and you can do the same for yours. Alright, cool. Cheers

The only true information here is the super game is likely going to be developed by the 3rd division. 3rd division contains many teams, not just PSO2 team. Secondly no single information that NGS will only last five year. The only true information is the "Super Game" will be a five-year strategy. Thirdly the "western" audience is just him pulling out the job of the planner just cause it mentioned "洋画 / western movies".

The rest is not even a rumor, they're hoax. I don't deny the possibility of what a super game can be (whether it's going to have NFT, have PSO2 team involved, or NGS dead in 5 years for this reason, etc.) because we're talking about the future, the problem is there is not a single source or any other information as of today other than the above based on the job listing and segasammy plan over the super game based on the Fiscal Year End March 2021 slide.

The guy who first start spreading it out is making his things up out of nowhere and pulling his own unverified strings to make this and it somehow caught people's attention, but I'm not even surprised anymore considering the state of the players toward the NGS, things like this will get into people easily.
    Last edited by SteveCZ; Dec 11, 2021 at 08:51 PM.

5 years is a quite a time actually. Especially now with COVID and miners ramparging.
    I thougth I'll drop playing MMOs at all when NGS was announced, but keep playing it pretty well now. Maybe afer 5 years I'll have more determination to do so.