Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

And what is it you want a "hacker" to do for you. You asked for suggestions and we them to you. BTW how is a "hacker" supposed to help you with a file on your memory card when they don't have access to it. Unless you think they should take a trip to your house, LOL. It has nothing to do with anyone's degree of skill, it has to do with the fact that there isn't much anyone can do for you but suggest some of the common fixes. If you feel like downloading the file to your pc and helping us break the encryption, maybe we can help you. Otherwise, do like many other players do, either back it up on USB or move on with the new char.

On 2003-06-10 01:02, bordering wrote:
    belive me, i have already tried ALL of the commonly circulated fixes for FSOD X. none of them worked for me. i freaking sat with my gamecube trying to swap a good mem card out with the corrupt one for upwards of a half an hour. no luck. i deleted my guildcard file. no luck. when FSOD X was happening, i opened up the disc cover and left it open for about 20 mins (they say that sometimes the game comes unstuck and registers the save, even though you can't see it visually). no luck. i took out the ethernet cable. no luck.

see, the guild card thingy wouldn't work for me, because my FSOD occured right as the save icon appeared. at the start of the save. someone told me that pso first saves char data, then guildcard data, then system data. so it is certainly my char data that is problematic.

and i'm jealous of Shimarisu. i surely won't be making any damn tshirts. heh.

"An error has occurred. Please switch off power and refer to the instruction manual of your game cube."
    wow, this is odd. i've never heard of that before. ooooooh, you had your language settings as jp huh...? well, maybe st doesn't corrupt jps, only americans. i'm sorta joking... but on the other hand, i wouldn't quite put it past them.

yea, i try to not whine about it TOO much. and i would never think of asking for free stuff. but... christ. it's really hard to play now. i tried making a new FOmarl the other day... she was my favorite... and it just made me sick. too many memories wrent as painful barbs by the arbitray demise of that card. ugh. UGH, as you say. heh.

so... it seems there aren't as many or as skilled hackers as i thought there were. that sucks. sigh...
    How about stop making stupid comments in bold and actually realise most pso "hackers" are all talk.

The only person capable of helping you is Barubary and not even he can rebuild a corrupted save, he can make a new character you create the same level as the one you lost, but he can't uncorrupt data you're simply asking too much of anyone.

stupid? how is it stupid if there exists (as you admit) at least person (barubary) who posesses the skills neccesary to do at least -something- of a fix? if he (or someone who was similarly capeable) would deign to recreate chars for me (at my expense and immense gratitude, of course), then that would be... well there are few words to describe how awesome that would be.

looks like i hit a nerve there.

anyway, i've -heard- that full on corruption recovery CAN be done, breaking the encryption and reworking the data. it's just very very VERY difficult. and not many can do it. and, furthermore, that it isn't even possible in all cases, even if one can get inside the code. only in some. now i'm not the sort to belive everything i -hear-; that could just be rumor... but i heard it from a credible source (i won't name drop, but if i did, you'd all nod, likely) who can't hack himself, but has a lot of freinds who can. so i decided to ask in a place where i've seen pso's most renowned hacker posts, thinking if anyone knew about it, baru did and at least he could confirm or deny. even if he decided not to help.

and, violet, how you would get my card is that i would mail it to you. heh, pretty simple. i would, obvioulsy, spring for the incidental costs.

and how am i going to back anything i have now on other cards onto a usb card? considering i would never be able to figure out how to solder the inside of a normal card into the workings of a usb -and- i don't have a cheat that allows me to transfer pso data from one card to another? i therefore would never be able to upload my corrupted data onto my pc, as it is contained on a normal 59 block memory card.

sure, if i start new chars on a usb card, then i could back them up. i would like to back up my current chars... but that's not possible so...

anyway, i still want to make "stupid" comments [queries, really] in bold to whomever is out there that can authoritatively answer my question as to whether or not it would be possible to uncorrupt my corrupted files. =p

On 2003-06-10 13:38, bordering wrote:
    stupid? how is it stupid if there exists (as you admit) at least person (barubary) who posesses the skills neccesary to do at least -something- of a fix? if he (or someone who was similarly capeable) would deign to recreate chars for me (at my expense and immense gratitude, of course), then that would be... well there are few words to describe how awesome that would be.

looks like i hit a nerve there.

anyway, i've -heard- that full on corruption recovery CAN be done, breaking the encryption and reworking the data. it's just very very VERY difficult. and not many can do it. and, furthermore, that it isn't even possible in all cases, even if one can get inside the code. only in some. now i'm not the sort to belive everything i -hear-; that could just be rumor... but i heard it from a credible source (i won't name drop, but if i did, you'd all nod, likely) who can't hack himself, but has a lot of freinds who can. so i decided to ask in a place where i've seen pso's most renowned hacker posts, thinking if anyone knew about it, baru did and at least he could confirm or deny. even if he decided not to help.

and, violet, how you would get my card is that i would mail it to you. heh, pretty simple. i would, obvioulsy, spring for the incidental costs.

and how am i going to back anything i have now on other cards onto a usb card? considering i would never be able to figure out how to solder the inside of a normal card into the workings of a usb -and- i don't have a cheat that allows me to transfer pso data from one card to another? i therefore would never be able to upload my corrupted data onto my pc, as it is contained on a normal 59 block memory card.

sure, if i start new chars on a usb card, then i could back them up. i would like to back up my current chars... but that's not possible so...

anyway, i still want to make "stupid" comments [queries, really] in bold to whomever is out there that can authoritatively answer my question as to whether or not it would be possible to uncorrupt my corrupted files. =p
    Do you realise how stupid what you are typing sounds? You honestly think someone can reprogramme an entire save file and make it so it resembles your characters and items? First IF and that is a huge IF someone could do it, don't you think they would require the save data how it used to be so that they could make it so it's the same as it was?

Also you claim your friend knows a lot of "hackers" if there were so many "hackers" on pso don't you think we would have a bit more evidence than some hacked mags and a flame garment which most if not all can be traced back to barubary?.

Also if barubary were to help you it wouldn't require sending him memory cards or anything of the like you would just have to connect to his private pso server and have him overwrite the level of your character to the level it was previously.

P.s You didn't hit a nerve just got annoying seeing you make a comment in bold at the end of all your posts on Gamefaqs and now here.

well, i never pretended to know anything about hacking myself. maybe only barubary can hack pso. maybe not. you're right, there aren't many instances of hacked items. there aren't many instances of hacked chars at all (as far as i know, barubary is the only one who has done that).

i don't understand where you get off telling me i'm STUPID. perhaps i'm just innocent of such things? there's a difference between naivete and stupidity. when you factor in that i played mostly legit with the fact that i'm really distraught over the loss of my chars and really want someone to help me, well you can get some fairly outlandish wants, hopes if you will. in oh-so-eye-gouging bold none the less.

you know, you're the only person i've yet enocountered who's been even in the slightest snippy about such things. just because YOU can't do it, and -i- sure the hell could never in a million years do it, doesn't neccesarily mean that it's -impossible-. could you solve Fermat's last theorem? i doubt it. could i? fuck no. did mathematitians spend a nearly equal amount of time discussing whether or not it was possible to solve it as they did actually sitting down and solving it? ya... did it eventually get solved by someone with a remarkable genius? indeed it did some things that seem impossible, may not be. some things that seem impossible, may actually be.

besides, the guy who told me that saves could sometimes be restored was describing some of the details of it. it's at LEAST a theoretical possibility, even if it's not a reality.

and who are you at gfaqs?

On 2003-06-10 15:16, bordering wrote:
    well, i never pretended to know anything about hacking myself. maybe only barubary can hack pso. maybe not. you're right, there aren't many instances of hacked items. there aren't many instances of hacked chars at all (as far as i know, barubary is the only one who has done that).

i don't understand where you get off telling me i'm STUPID. perhaps i'm just innocent of such things? there's a difference between naivete and stupidity. when you factor in that i played mostly legit with the fact that i'm really distraught over the loss of my chars and really want someone to help me, well you can get some fairly outlandish wants, hopes if you will. in oh-so-eye-gouging bold none the less.

you know, you're the only person i've yet enocountered who's been even in the slightest snippy about such things. just because YOU can't do it, and -i- sure the hell could never in a million years do it, doesn't neccesarily mean that it's -impossible-. could you solve Fermat's last theorem? i doubt it. could i? fuck no. did mathematitians spend a nearly equal amount of time discussing whether or not it was possible to solve it as they did actually sitting down and solving it? ya... did it eventually get solved by someone with a remarkable genius? indeed it did some things that seem impossible, may not be. some things that seem impossible, may actually be.

besides, the guy who told me that saves could sometimes be restored was describing some of the details of it. it's at LEAST a theoretical possibility, even if it's not a reality.

and who are you at gfaqs?
    Maybe stupid was too strong of a word. I just don't understand how you think someone would be able to rebuild a save without knowing what the original looked like?

Also the fact that I don't think anyone has broken the save file encryption at all yet, the way you talk about your friend makes it sound like he knows someone who has and also the way you say that sometimes the save file isn't recoverable makes it sound like someone has had there save file recovered in the past, so why would you even be asking for help if your friend who knows these "hackers" have already recovered corrupted save files before?

Also about me being "snippy" call it what you wish, I know that you're desperate for the recovery of your characters but would you rather people give you false hope so it just hurts much more when you find out it's not possible or would you rather people just be honest with you which is what I have tried to do.

I tried messin with some files to fix corruption but no luck so far.

I tried changing things that are different from ones that worked and corrupted ones.

well... you're right about the false hope thing, Broken Hope.

i will withhold names of the ppl involved at the moment (as i did not ask if it would be ok to post them publically), but by chance i ran into this one guy i knew a while back on gcn on gfaqs earlier today. many of you knew him too, probably. and what little i did know of him, i learned to trust him. he lost two VERY high level chars to corruption. luckily for him, even though he played legit, one of his best freinds was a hacker who (i don't think) is very well known on any message board. i know he wouldn't want me to tell this person's name, since the guy in question values his anonymity and doesn't want a million ppl asking favors for him. anyway, the bottom line is that corrupted files CAN be fixed. it is just VERY difficult to do (it took about a month for this extrememly skilled person to even recover the data to the point where they were playable offline; he could have, he said, recoverd them so that they were playable online, but that would have been MUCH harder and taken a LONG time.

so yea... now that i -know- it can be done, well, who would want to spend a month of frustrating work on the behalf of someone they don't even know? human altruism has its limits when it comes to total strangers. basically only someone's best freind would want to go through that shyte. heh. i gotta get out more this time. hehehe.

The only thing I really know about corruption is when it happens before using the characters delete the character file. Usually you won't lose your cards after doing this which is very helpful.