i hear all the time that people are backing up their chars w/ usb mem cards...

but i don't understand how you do that considering that you can't transfer PSO data from one memory card to another. and the fact that the usb memory card doesn't interact with memory cards themselves, it goes into a port on the gcn while the data to be "backed up" comes by TRAMSFERRING data from another memory card via the "copy" option in the gcn memory card screen.

what exactly am i missing about how to back up your chars? could someone please explain how to do it?

Excellent question. Basically they are using the card to store their char just like a normal memory card. They then download that info onto their pc to back it up every so often. The only caveat being, that if they need to restore the char, when they go to get online it will give an error saying something about the file being used was comprimised. It will then delete everything that your char had. Both in the bank and in his/her inventory. However if you have a USB chances are high that you have a backup of the items, so they will just reload the items they lost and continue on. Your char's level and everything else will be left intact. I use it when I play online especially now that so many know how to FSOD you. Hope that answers your question

The USB card does one problem, if it messes up then all the previous backups won't work.