Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ok for those of you with short attention spans, you may want to skip this thread. its nothing important, groundbreaking or overly profound. It is merely a possible scenario that crossed my mind. After numerous "woe is me", "gc pso is dead" and "RIP pso" posts, people may not be seeing the silver lining behind this seemingly dark cloud. More to the point, the glitches may help save the hardcore PSO community.

I will spare you the rehash of my personal introduction to PSO and speak to the current state of online GC PSO. As it stands, the GC PSO is wraught with serious exploits that have changed the way many people play the game. They afford pretty much anyone the ability to breeze through the game with little or no challenge at all. It allows people to amass infinite numbers of items and build impressive item libraries. It allows people to experience all the levels and see all the enemies within a relatively short amount of time. In fact, with proper tweaking, a person can easily finish both episodes all the way through ULT in a day. With recoboxing, we see more high level players that didn't earn the huge majority of their exp. So far it sounds pretty grim huh?

However, what we may fail to realize is that once these players (I'm guilty of it also) finish hacking and slashing, duping and exploiting, they will most likely get real bored, real fast. As new games arrive (Soul Calibur 2, Mario kart Dash etc) they will have forgotten about this game. As the cheater masses drop off, what will be left is a smaller community of players who actually enjoy the game as "it was intended to be played." Those who breezed through the game may possible develop a "been there, seen that" attitude towards it.

I have never played the Dreamcast version, which I understand was pretty much ruined by cheats and cheat devices. I am aware of the NOLing and PKing that occurred on that platform, but I often wonder if it is still that way today. Obviously cheaters still exist and always will, but is it still as prevelent as it was? Has the atmosphere changed at all in regards to community as a whole. By that I mean, is it possible to find large groups of legit players who you can adventure with, without having to worry about all the other stuff that went on. It makes sense to me that those who cheated in the game got bored the quickest and moved on. However I could be completely off base, so if there are any DC players please let me know.

Anyway, like I said it had crossed my mind that all these cheats may save the PSO community in the end, because the cheaters will get bored faster and move on, leaving the "old school" players to enjoy the game.

BTW I do not profess to be a legit player. Although I do have 100% legit chars, the majority of my chars are tweaked and maxed. I truly never got into the "true spirit" of the game. I simply wanted to see everything as quickly as I could. Anyway, this threads not about me or my playing philosophy.

King of Nothing

I agree that it could help. I'm by no means legit, I know all the tricks although I only dupe. But it won't help enough, I'm gonna be one that sticks around and I'm a cheater cause I like to play with my friends. if all my friends quit then it'll be a different story, but I have legit friends who hopefully won't quit. but it may help get rid of quite a few and I'd be kinda happy about that, I mainly wanna see some of the cheaters that brag about it tho. I'm fine with cheating but it's people being asses in the lobby that I can't take. I wanna see all those jerks in the lobby go bye bye, I used to like the lobby but now it's just a horrid place.

On 2003-08-03 18:36, Brett wrote:
    I agree that it could help. I'm by no means legit, I know all the tricks although I only dupe. But it won't help enough, I'm gonna be one that sticks around and I'm a cheater cause I like to play with my friends. if all my friends quit then it'll be a different story, but I have legit friends who hopefully won't quit. but it may help get rid of quite a few and I'd be kinda happy about that, I mainly wanna see some of the cheaters that brag about it tho. I'm fine with cheating but it's people being asses in the lobby that I can't take. I wanna see all those jerks in the lobby go bye bye, I used to like the lobby but now it's just a horrid place.
    Agreed the lobbies are inundated with little punks being obnoxious. And Vega is hell, I stay as far away as I can from that lobby.

Violet, do you predict that while these exploits can bore someone to death, they can annoy others to get their laughs?

On 2003-08-03 19:32, Reenee wrote:
    Violet, do you predict that while these exploits can bore someone to death, they can annoy others to get their laughs?
    Yes unfortunately. But even that must get old at some point. At least I would hope it would. If someone truly relishes being the bane of others, then I would more pity them than be annoyed by them

This is, of course, assuming no harmful AR codes are ever made. If so, then the bored cheaters can turn to those codes to cause harm to the community and get their fun that way.

Part of me somewhat wants to get bored with the game so I can finally move on to other games. I'm currently using the King's special on my MIDAS MECHGUNS like crazy, just so I can finally achieve a high level that I never was able to attain before since I had trouble concentrating on just one character.

On 2003-08-03 20:06, Castoth wrote:
    This is, of course, assuming no harmful AR codes are ever made. If so, then the bored cheaters can turn to those codes to cause harm to the community and get their fun that way.

Part of me somewhat wants to get bored with the game so I can finally move on to other games. I'm currently using the King's special on my MIDAS MECHGUNS like crazy, just so I can finally achieve a high level that I never was able to attain before since I had trouble concentrating on just one character.
    If nothing else, it will be interesting to see what develops in regards to the AR. Curious minds never stop. Its been said:

"One person with a belief is equal to a force of 99 who have only interests."

There are a lot of people dedicated to both finding and releasing codes for it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2003-08-03 20:36 ]</font>

EGA Warrior
    In the loney shadows of Oakhurst, California.

I think the Dreamcast versions have shown incrontravertably that Cheating will not "Get old" and cheaters will not "Move on". As long as there is a way to make new cheats, it will keep many cheaters interested. For now it is the Shop Lady glitches.. later it very well may be the AR or another cheat device.

Even those cheaters who DO get bored, will probably hand their copies of the game down to their younger siblings or friends.. who will find the experience wholly new and exciting for them. Yet to those of us standing in the lobbies, or trying to hold onto some semblance of actual gameplay, nothing has changed.

Pandora's Box has been opened.. and there's no way things are going to go back to the way they once were. ._.

Nice to hear from a DC player. Sorry to hear that things have not changed for the better on that system. Having given it more thought, I may have been overly optimistic about the legions of cheaters leaving the game. Thinking back to D2, it dawned on me that nothing has changed there either and that has been out longer than the DC PSO.

Dangly Parts

not to mention the fact that people still play Diablo 2, such will be the case with this game too, as long as the core integrity of the game is left intact

i lost my interest in this game some time before the shop glitch was widespread, not because of the cheating that existed then, but because i had a life before PSO, and i will continue to have one afterwards

new people will come along, old people will disappear, some will stay for the duration ... that's not just PSO, or Vega, or Antares, or even DC, GC, or Xbox .... that's the rest of the world, that's life, that's everywhere you go, and all i have to say about it is that i had fun

(this isn't goodbye by no means, not yet anyway)

don't take this game so seriously, it's just a game

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: brillyfresh on 2003-08-03 23:41 ]</font>