Excellent Support Force
    Grove City College or the Suburbs of Pittsburgh

I have been playing PSO for almost 4 months now, and my FOmarl is lv 124. I will be going off to school where I can finally join the online community of PSO! However, my friends have experienced character corruption. Should I fear the same fate? What I need to know is how to avoid it when I do get online. Any advice on that would be worth so much to me!

I feel the same way. Sometime I don't want to do online in fear of losing all my stuff ,but it does have a good side. You can meet good people, play online quests, play GoGo ball, chat in the lobby, trade items, beat people down in battle mode, get an S-rank on C-mode. You'll will also meet mass dupers,weapon stackers and of coure very big Jackass's. Its just one of those risks you have to take.

this box or cube, b/c as far as i can tell there's a lot lower a risk of corruption with the box...

I have a level 128(and counting)FOmarl that has been used online since its birth and I havent had any problems on my Xbox, now I have heard that the rate of corruption is substantly higher on the GameCube since all of the characters data is stored on the actual memory card itself. The only time your going to have a problem with your data corrupting is if your Xbox's hard drive itself goes bad and is in need of re-formating. However if you choose to sometime put your character on a memory card to transfer your data to a friends Xbox or to use the infamous Action Replay, you run the same kinds of risks that the GameCube owners have. All in all you should be alright, it doesnt happen as often as I think you think. Hope this clears up any doubts about character corruptions. Good luck and remember that this game was made primarily for online play

BATMAN!!!!!!!!

Man. that sucks, no online for my HUmar (85) but i'll take my HUnewearl online.

You should be concerned about corruption and that sort of thing, but don't fear it. Fear will keep you offline, concern will let you be prepared to prevent it the best way that you can:

This is a quote from the tech support sticky
    11Q: How do I protect my character and my items from SODs?

11A: When you're configuring your internet connection in PSO, set your automatic idle disconnection time to something reasonably short. If you suffer a SOD, disconnect your phone cord or RJ-45 cable and wait for up to twice as long as that period of time (e.g. if you set it for 15 minutes, wait for 30 minutes). If you set your connection to never disconnect, you may have no recourse. Hopefully, you will be able to recover from an SOD if something like this happens. Also, while playing online, it's highly recommended that you only take one weapon -- leaving it equipped at all times -- and do not leave any unequipped, valuable items in your inventory while you play. If you find a Special Weapon or something similarly valuable, go to Pioneer 2 and deposit it in your bank immediately, if you want to be safe. Normally, when I play online, I have one weapon equipped, and the only unequipped items in my inventory are standard fare, like Dimates, Difluids, and Sol Atomizers. If you want to predict SODs, be observant of how quickly you pick up Meseta and items during games. If you cannot pick up any items, none of your teammates are moving, you cannot talk, and every box you break does not yield anything, it's time to disconnect! Even if you were only suffering a bad pocket of lag at the time, it's better to be safe than sorry.
    and my other advice to prevent problems in the first place is to stay on the less populated servers, because there will be less chance of lag/overcrowding -> game freeze and other problems. There are only allowed to be c.100 people per block I believe, and when it's in the high #s you should probably go somewhere a bit less croweded. It's like going to the beach: when it's a hot sunny day everyone's there and there's almost not enough room to park a towel, let alone a beach chair. There's little chance of getting to the water without accidently kicking sand on someone. It's like that online too, and when it gets crowded, SODs happen.

The Sentimental Blue-haired HUmar.

of course you should already know that fsod is when the screen is frozen, and you hear a LONG beep sound,to save yourself from fsod(or fsodx, theyre very similar), you should pull out the cord, open the gc cover,wait a few minutes, then turn it off. although usually Ill lose my items, my characters are safe. I truelly am not worried of corruption myself.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gamerdell7 on 2003-08-06 22:53 ]</font>