Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Official PSO Mommy

OK, don't get me wrong, I'm no Polly Pureheart by any means, but last night around 7:30 or 8pm Eastern Time, we got online - we being me playing, my husband, 7 yr old and 8 yr old watching and typing for me - so we could show the kids the Easter eggs and fireworks, and maybe find someone to help me transfer some stuff to my son's character...jump onto our comfy home at Puck 9 - and while checking my Guild Card list, some idiot somehow figured out how to override the swear filter and was typing FUCK.

First off, how did this get through. Second off, ***WHY*** did someone go through all the trouble to figure out HOW to get it through???

Come on folks, 8pm is still 'prime time', and because of the ease of use of video game consoles the audience isn't always us so-called mature adults!!! Please! If our grasp of the English language is so bad that the only way we can express ourselves is through the use of 4 letter words that are known to be offensive then we are in SAD shape. Maybe it gives others a thrill to see that or say that, but it puts me in the position of not being able to play online because of the atmosphere degenerating to this stage, and that just sucks. Go online to show my kids some fun stuff and they get an education in a word they should not know about at their age. Gee thanks.

All I can say is that this made me appreciate and miss the folks from PSO World that I normally run into online, who have always been aware that my kids are watching, have been polite and honorable and even let them join in the fun by "talking" to them....my respect for you guys grows more all the time.

*steps down off soapbox*
    *sighs*
    *shakes head*
    *walks away*

The person in question was pro'ly using a gameshark (yes, they have codes for defeating the filter ). They figure out stuff like this simply because they can.

It's just like the people that cheat in games like Counter-strike. How much fun can it be, to be so fast, people can't see you or make every shot you take, a head shot (instant kill). They do it because they can and that's it!

Unfortunatley, there is not much that can be done about it. Just hope you play with good people and avoid staying in the lobbies for extended periods.

Ps. I had an incident this weekend (see rants section). Very disappointing.

Official PSO Mommy

On 2001-04-12 07:25, SaitoH wrote:
    The person in question was pro'ly using a gameshark (yes, they have codes for defeating the filter ). They figure out stuff like this simply because they can.
    Urgh. Didn't know that bit about the gameshark. Talk about showing your true colors.

They do it because they can and that's it!

Unfortunatley, there is not much that can be done about it. Just hope you play with good people and avoid staying in the lobbies for extended periods.

Ps. I had an incident this weekend (see rants section). Very disappointing.
    I saw that bit - sometimes the pure adolescence - no wrong word, nothing wrong with adolescents in general - the pure immaturity is overwhelming. Like knowing how to swear in an atmosphere that was deliberately set up to avoid that, or creating chat symbols that are knowingly offensive in an atmosphere meant to be a cooperative community, makes you "big". Whatever. We ended up in a passworded game alone last night which is not why we go online.

Haven't run into you online alot lately, the kids always ask if I'm going to play w/you when we get online. I think they like saying "Aviend-HA" LOL!!! (They can't say my name, somehow it always comes out as "naive"...talk about a freudian slip! )

The stupid thing is just doing it in the first place. What is the point of swearng in the lobby through the filter? Does anyone give a cow's ASS about this?! As far as I am concerned, I don't think I would be getting much respect from defeating a filter. I wish there could be enough mods on the servers to at least control the flow... but such costs a fortune, and gaming companies are too close to their pennies to even consider this solution.

Therefore, to the one who did that Hitler smiley, and the one with the jerk-off smiley, and the thief who stole my Sinow Blades, and the GSer who emptied my inventory, and the idiot who felt like hacking the filter, and the ignorant looking for sex with a HUnewearl... WHY?!!
    "Sword logic? That's cute."

The Original Tanking Fomarl and Goddess

ahhhhhh
    PSU Elite-Anti-Elitist
    lv150 Magenta
    Fight Master 20 / Fortefighter 20 / Fight Gunner 10 /

Mmm. I met some people who had used gamesharks to overcome the filter. This is why I'm moving more and more over to the JP servers, simply because the Japanese folk are friendier, and don't swear as much.

SaitoH... how would you feel about taking a set of Pan arms off my hands? I don't use them much, because I'm not really into knives and such. It may not be a good replacement for the S-beats, but... ^_^

Nynaeve, if you don't mind, how about a game sometime? ^_^ I'm always looking to play with new people from PSO World, so... ^_^

Hmm... you're in the US... I'm in UK... you're 5 or so hours behind, and... hmm... can you and SaitoH get online at 6pm or so your time? This will make it 11pm or 12am my time, which is fine by me (hopefully, I'll be awake ^_^.

Heh... who knows... I might have some present or two to give to your son's character, depending on what profession he is... ^_^

Official PSO Mommy

On 2001-04-12 08:06, IceBlink wrote:
    Mmm. I met some people who had used gamesharks to overcome the filter. This is why I'm moving more and more over to the JP servers, simply because the Japanese folk are friendier, and don't swear as much.
    I've played there a few times...but somehow it bugs me that we have to find a "workaround" to avoid those who don't believe in common decency. *sigh* Takes all types to make a world, I guess.

Nynaeve, if you don't mind, how about a game sometime? ^_^ I'm always looking to play with new people from PSO World, so... ^_^

Hmm... you're in the US... I'm in UK... you're 5 or so hours behind, and... hmm... can you and SaitoH get online at 6pm or so your time? This will make it 11pm or 12am my time, which is fine by me (hopefully, I'll be awake ^_^.

Heh... who knows... I might have some present or two to give to your son's character, depending on what profession he is... ^_^
    LOL! sounds good, thanks! His caracter is a HUcast (at least for today, he's made quite a few, but this one we're making him stick to...*grin*) He's SO angry at me that I transferred my RoboChao and some cool stuff to my husband's character instead of his! Ah, family fun at its best....

If I am online, I am mostly online early, like 5 or 6pm my time, so he can watch before bedtime...last night was late for me. I'd love to hook up sometime, can't tonight, promised the kids we'd see Spy Kids, but we can figure something out.

The Original Tanking Fomarl and Goddess

ohhhh..
    can i join?..hoping to meet another fomarl..

PSU Elite-Anti-Elitist
    lv150 Magenta
    Fight Master 20 / Fortefighter 20 / Fight Gunner 10 /

Why do people smash things up, vandalise things or spray graffiti? It's a misguided mainly adolescent urge to rebel against society. Unless you manage to come up with a way to bring up kids that several thousand years of civilisation has failed to find, then kids will continue to swear in the lobby. As for adults, well being unable to communicate without swearing just shows a lack of intelligence and ability to communicate effectively.

S.

Sheesh why would they go throurgh all that trouble to swear online? The really isn't any good reason to be swearing online anyways.