Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    So happily unsatisfied

I've had several occasions while playing on the JP servers where the player I am playing with WON'T use Word Select. I'll tell them that I'm from the US, and I ask them to please use Word Select. And they might even say "Understood" or what not. But then they just won't. They keep talking to me in Japanese. I'll keep saying "I don't understand what you mean," and "Please use WORD SELECT." However, they continue just talking to me in Japanese. Is there a reason for this? Do some players just don't know how to use Word Select? Or is there a particular reason they won't use it.

Friend of the rappies and a girl`s best friend

eep!maybe they r just trying 2 annoy u...

I'm not really clear on this either, but it is known that most JP players have kind of a grudge with the average US player (aka n00bzorz TJ hoomar)

yeah

and miso, i LOVE your sig, what flavor is that?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lain2k3 on 2004-02-07 07:15 ]</font>

Illuminated

perhaps they are not talking to you?

and yes.. you ever want to see how bad jpn players ignore US players go to the jpn cmode block..

So happily unsatisfied

Well the thing is that I don't think it's that they have something against me. In most cases, we had already played together and worked well together. In one case, they even gave me their card.

If they have given you their guild card already, then it is confusing why they would keep talking to you in Japanese.

But yeah, if you want to see japanese players ignoring people with the english language setting, then go to Alcyone 6.

Maybe the thought that Japanese players don't understand English well never occured to you, but if I new Dutch but spoke American, I wouldn't be speaking Dutch in a Dutch room because although I understand how to speak it, I am probably not that good at speaking it. Also, people don't want to have to speak two differant languages in a server. If you want to be on the same terms as them, learn Japanese.

We are soldiers, stand or die Jarek's Avatar

On 2004-02-07 14:55, undevil wrote:
    If you want to be on the same terms as them, learn Japanese.
    i don't think that would be so easy... :/

but it's happened to me before, under those exact conditions. c-mode, ace6. everyone once in a while they would say something in english, but i mostly kept quiet and let them chat together(me and three other JP people were playing)
    it still went pretty smoothly, but i can't help but wonder what they said the whole time...

On 2004-02-07 15:18, psobsesser wrote:

i don't think that would be so easy... :/

but it's happened to me before, under those exact conditions. c-mode, ace6. everyone once in a while they would say something in english, but i mostly kept quiet and let them chat together(me and three other JP people were playing)
    it still went pretty smoothly, but i can't help but wonder what they said the whole time...
    The same holds for the Japanese. I know a lot of Japanese people know English. A lot of schools have classes for the Japanese kids to learn it. But not all know it.

the Home-town Hero

Out of the 3 cases I played on Jpn servers... all of them were pleasent. One time, they even spoke English to me! I felt so... stupid cos I couldn't speak Japanese. But I felt better when they said it's because we live in a communist society. Really.