Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Creator Of Worlds

----- Chapter 13 : Out of Control -----

The wave of heat that hit Sue's face made her eyes water briefly. She spun round to take in her surroundings. It was not Paganini who had vanished but her. Pressing all around was the dense jungle of Gal De Val Island. She had made short visits before and like most of the other Hunters had made rapid retreats. The creatures here were phenomenally strong, no thanks to the meddling of Doctor Osto.

She saw that she was in a small clearing, the ground worn down just enough to indicate that others had come this way before her. The small computer terminal beside her was deactivated, with no Hunters on the surface it was not needed. She knew there must be a reason that Paganini had sent her here. The feeling that she was not alone was confirmed by the sound of someone or something cutting its way through the undergrowth.

"I have come for that which belongs to me!"

Kireek's words chilled her to her very core. Paganini had banished her to the island with that monster to silence her permanently. She produced a telepipe mat, activated it and threw it to the ground. The energy column died even before it finished appearing which told her that something was stopping it from activating. Possibly Kireek's enhancements, which meant that he was too close!

She began to run through the bushes, desperate to put some suitable distance between her and the killer Android. Clearing the tree line she saw that she was situated on the mountain to the East of the Central Control Area. She could see it below in the distance and breathed a small sigh of relief. The one Hunter that could possibly save her was down in that facility somewhere. She only hoped that she could get there in time...

--------

"Ma'am? I think you need to look at this." The lab technician called over Natasha Milarose to her vidscreen.

"Problem?" Queried Natasha.

"I don't so, but there is something strange going on. Look at these scanner readings."

The technician tapped away at the keyboard and pointed out areas of interest on each of the displays.

"Now combined with these unusually energy signatures and overlay that with the photon surge data..."

Natasha stood upright and covered her mouth with her hand. It was now highly visible.

"Based on that and the schematic data obtained from the Control Tower, it appears as if we have found the North Tower." Said Natasha breathlessly.

"Ma'am?"

"The reason we couldn't see it before is because it extends below ground."

The technician frowned as she typed furiously. "But... The shaft extends for a kilometre below the surface... Why?"

"I think it's time to get those answers..." Said Natasha heading towards her office.

--------

Sue's lungs burned with each breath and her legs felt as if they might collapse at any moment. The hot, humid air did not help matters. Neither did the twisting path she was forced to take descending the rocky slopes to the bay where the Central Control Area lay. More than once she had blundered into a dead-end with unclimbable walls and backtracking cost her valuable time.

A family of Gibbons sitting among the chest-high vegetation were startled as the Newman dashed passed them, oblivious to their existence at this point. She cast a few furtive glances behind her from time to time but did not allow her pace to let up even for a centiBeat. She could not afford to chance a break. She was merely grateful that she had chosen jogging as a means of exercise.

Despite all of that, Sue knew that she could not push herself for much longer. She reduced her pace as slow as her fear would allow her and began to messily bash out a request for help on her BEE system.

--------

Kireek bounded across the slopes, his super-human strength allowing him to travel these distances with ease. Tracking Sue was not difficult and he knew exactly where she was headed, the only reason he had not gotten there first was that she kept getting lost. Of course that would mean he would waste valuable killing time waiting for her to catch up.

--------

She collapsed against the inoperative computer panel. It was attached to a deactivated security gate but was capable of communication with Pioneer Two. She jabbed the buttons but there was no power. She fell to the ground in despair. She could barely breathe now and standing was next to impossible. She had taken what she thought would be a shortcut but turned out to be a flat expanse terminating in a cliff. The rocks in the water far below not a very inviting option.

Turning to look the way she came she saw Kireek, walking casually as if he were a tourist. She felt like weeping for all the good it would do. Was this really it for her? As if in answer, a wavering column of green energy appeared nearby and a figured stepped out of it before it dissipated. It was Cilantro.

He extended a hand towards her and helped her up onto unsteady feet. When he saw her look behind him to the distance he turned and saw the murderous Android moving ever closer. He touched two fingers to his forehead and closed his eyes in concentration. The energy of a telepipe formed around her.

"Don't worry, I'll handle this now..." He said reassuringly just before the world faded into black.

Cool!

I thought sue was gonna die for a moment

Creator Of Worlds

Sarunakai - I wonder why you would be concerned for Sue's safety? I don't kill my characters off...

----- Chapter 14 : Kill Cil -----

Cilantro made note of the fact that all the telepipes he created required immense mental effort to maintain and dispersed far too quickly. He turned to face Kireek and stood his ground. It seemed that the Android was fitted with a field disruptor, he would have to be extra careful.

"You should have left with her. Now I will have to make things very unpleasant for you." Announced Kireek once within speaking range.

Cilantro produced his weapon with a flourish, a long thin staff topped by three sharp tines, a Demonic Fork. He twirled it a couple of times before taking a firm grip.

"It is said that that weapon brings great misfortune to those who wield it." Said Kireek.

"You talk to much."

"Strange, none of my victims have ever complained about that before."

"Well are you going to do something or bore me to death?" Taunted Cilantro making his free hand into a fist with two fingers extended in concentration as an alternating aura of red and blue enveloped him.

"Do not worry, you will not have to suffer my idle boasting for much longer." Said Kireek, once more extending his arm out to one side, scythe materialising moments later.

The air around Cilantro began to ripple, heat distortion clearly visible in the light of the setting sun. He pointed his fingers at the android and suddenly a massive RAfoie heat bubble erupted on Kireek's chest. Momentarily distracted Kireek realised that Cilantro had vanished from in front of him. He stepped forward and swung his scythe at the spot behind him.

Cilantro blocked the swing with the shaft of the Demonic Fork, then parried it away. He hopped backwards and vanished once more through a telepipe. Kireek tilted his head to look at the spot where Cilantro had just jumped to. Cilantro ran his hand down the staff and was surprised to find a notch there. He held out his hand to his side and telepipe appeared beside him. He kept his eyes fixed on Kireek, who did not move, seemingly unconcerned for whatever was coming next.

A shape solidified in the swirling vortex, stepping forward to reveal a FOmarl in dark blue and yellow. Celebra nodded in acknowledgement to her brother and then produced a weapon of her own, a staff with each end topped with a bright yellow lightning motif. She spun the Indra Storm Wand a couple of times to demonstrate that she had mastered such a weapon and then lit up with a red and blue aura too.

"Fresh meat for the grinder. Two souls for my collection." Said Kireek flatly, still unmoved.

"He talks too much." Said Celebra with a grin.

She extended a hand, palm facing the ground.

"Barta!" She commanded.

A ball of icy mist raced across the ground, like a snake, freezing the grass in its wake. Kireek jolted back to life, flipping his scythe and ramming the head down onto the ground. The Barta energy hit the head of the weapon and immediately encased it in thick ice. Kireek pulled it from the ground and smashed it down, shattering the ice. He righted the weapon.

"I would hope that that is not your best." He said.

He took a two-handed grip on the scythe and charged the pair. They separated quickly, Cilantro aiming his palm at their mechanical foe. Shafts of light pierced through Kireek's chest from all directions as he staggered to a halt and bent double in apparent pain. As the light subsided Kireek rose back to his full height, seemingly unaffected.

"Foie!" Celebra cried out.

Large balls of fiery flame hurtled at Kireek, noisily impacting upon his metal skin but leaving little more than faint scorch marks on the paint. Ignoring Celebra's attacks Kireek closed in on Cilantro, swinging his scythe in long lazy arcs. Cilantro backed out of range as the two FOrces unleashed a dual Gizonde Technique. The electricity flashed between the pair enveloping the Android. His movements became juddery but he continued his advance.

"Gibarta!" Said Celebra.

Kireek took that moment to press himself as close to the ground as he could. The stream of freezing air and shards of ice flew over him towards Cilantro. Cilantro threw his hands up to protect his face.

"Gifoie!" He shouted quickly.

A wall of intense flame encircled the FOmar instantly, protecting him from the incoming ice. Kireek saw an opportunity and pressed the attack on Celebra. She parried his blows as best she could but it was clear she could not last long. Cilantro cast a Gibarta of his own against the distracted Android. Within milliBeats a thick layer of ice had built up on his back and he was forced to stop his attack.

Kireek arched and flexed his back to break the ice and prevent it immobilising him, Celebra fired off several more Gizonde Techniques causing Kireek to begin steaming.

"I have Techniques of my own." Said Kireek.

He spun and hurled a small object at Cilantro, who instinctively cast Gizonde to stop it. The lightning bolt struck its target, which detonated, showering Cilantro with freezing mist. As Celebra had been concerned with Cilantro's fate she failed to spot Kireek raise his scythe high until it was too late and he brought it down upon her.

"NO!" Cried Cilantro.

The scythe's blade had punched straight through the middle of her chest and protruded out of her back. She gasped deeply, her weapon falling from her hands as she clawed weakly at the scythe handle, bubbles of blood emerging from her lips.

Cilantro's anger began to heat up the air around him, the ice on his clothes and hair melting instantly. He cast another Gizonde, the air crackling as it was torn in two by the energy travelling through it. Even as he jerked from the electricity strike, Kireek grabbed Celebra's hand and she writhed and screamed in agony, as she too was shocked. Kireek glanced over his shoulder, taunting Cilantro with his impotence to stop him.

The air around Cilantro was shimmering violently, He cupped his hands together, fingers spread and pointing at the Android. Clouds of purple-black mist coalesced there before shooting out at remarkable speed. In one smooth movement Kireek twisted and held Celebra in the path of the Megid Technique.

Upon impact she went limp. With his free hand Kireek pushed her body from his blade and she slumped to the floor. This became too much for Cilantro, the grass around his feet blackening and smouldering as the air boiled with his fury. In each hand began to form glowing orange balls of energy, each of them growing with every passing moment.

Kireek recognised the Rafoie Technique and took a step back.

"Not today." Kireek stated flatly, as the swirling green of a telepipe formed around him and he vanished.

Cilantro ran and knelt beside the body of his sister. He laid his hands upon her, she felt so cold. He closed his eyes and focused. White light appeared between them and Celebra's chest jolted upwards briefly before sinking back down.

"Please... Don't give up..." He said, tears starting to stream down his cheeks.

He tried again and again and again...

MMMmmm Cilantro

I thought you said you didn't kill character off!

Beware, teh editor shall have his revenge!

Creator Of Worlds

----- Chapter 15 : Riddles In The Dark -----

Natasha Milarose approached the console where Elly Person sat. She held out a PDA which Elly accepted.

"These are your new orders." Natasha told her.

Elly tapped the screen and scrolled through the data contained on it.

"You want the Hunter to explore this... Tower?" Elly asked. "Alone?"

"I'm sure the two of you can handle it." Natasha assured her.

"What's this? Operation Juggernaut?"

"It's just a codename for the mission. Retrieve all the data that you can find from down there okay? Now if you'll excuse me, there are pressing matters that urgently require my attention."

Natasha stormed off before Elly could say anything further.

-------

Paganini Zephra sat back and looked upon the sole possessions he had left. Laid out before him were eight storage crates, the last few being sealed up by a couple of his men. They were each filled to the brim with unusual weapons, photon crystals and rarities brought together by a lifetime of collecting. He realised that this might very well be the last time he would see them.

Occasionally the ground shook. It was no mere earthquake though. Nothing nearly so mundane. Seventy-five Beats ago, Kireek had killed Celebra Dumas, sister to Cilantro Dumas who was probably the strongest FOrce on Pioneer two. Another failure on Kireek's part now spelt their imminent destruction.

Security cameras dotted around this undersea research facility showed that they were under attack. Cilantro had gathered a collection of the most powerful Hunters the Guild had to offer. Paganini had initiated the defence systems and released the experiment test subjects but they were not even slowing the marauding group down.

Paganini had ordered an evacuation, but it looked like the authorities were sanctioning the purge. Sensors indicated that Pioneer Two was blanketing the area with a disruptor field, if they were to leave it would either be on foot or in a box.

The quakes were getting stronger and now the explosions could be heard faintly too. It would seem the Cilantro's Rafoie was strong enough to level walls, doors and anything else that might stand in his way.

He looked to his right to where his son Hopkins stood watching him with a worried expression on his face, a little way behind him stood that infernal Android. Paganini walked over to him, unstrapping his Comms unit from his left arm. He handed it to Hopkins.

"Take this, you will need to show the data that's on it to the members of Black Reach when they arrive on Pioneer Three..." He said, there was a sadness in his voice.

"But father!" Protested Hopkins.

Paganini cut him off before he could speak further.

"Kireek... I need you to take care of my son. He's all... I have left." He had trouble speaking the words because he was so choked with emotion.

An explosion could clearly be heard very close now, dust and ceiling tiles falling from above. Kireek nodded once and then stood directly behind Hopkins placing a hand on the boy's shoulder. A column of green energy covered them both and they vanished. Paganini turned and addressed the remaining members there.

"I would like to thank you all for your loyal service, but now is the time to run. Those that stay behind face death... Or worse. Should we survive, we will gather again at the Beta site in ten days."

-------

Paganini was sweating under his labours. He had opted to head in the opposite direction to the incoming invaders. This path led him to the access ladders and gantries that spanned the inside of the shaft. The interior was almost pitch-black but Paganini dared not risk a light in case it gave his position away. The sounds of fighting and explosions echoed up from below him, while a mechanical sound drifted down from above.

Can you feel our pain?

Paganini froze. It had sounded like someone had just whispered in his ear. He clung to the pipe tightly and attempted to see if there was someone nearby. He craned his head this way and that but could not see anything in the poor light.

We are the darkness

It was more than Paganini could stand. He awkwardly extracted the Evil Curst cane tucked into his belt. If there was someone here with him then soon it would be them that would be afraid. He attempted to wave it about in a vaguely threatening manner until it slipped from his grasp and vanished below.

"Damnit!" Paganini cursed loudly.

He glanced downwards hoping to see where it had fallen. He relaxed his grip slightly to allow himself to move away from the pipe. There was an explosion. His hands slipped. The world disappeared in a blur of wind...

-------

Paganini opened his eyes and looked cautiously about. He appeared to be lying in a shallow crater made of mud. He attempted to move and almost passed out from the pain. He gritted his teeth and attempted to calm down. From the looks of things he had probably shattered his pelvis upon landing and if he attempted to cast Resta he might cause the bones to set in their current position.

He became puzzled, it seemed to be getting brighter. Some kind of multicoloured light source behind him and he could feel the ground tremble as it approached. He tilted his head back as far as it would go to see what it was.

Share our pain!

Paganini could not scream loudly enough...

To be concluded in 'Paradise Lost'

Creator Of Worlds

Woo! What a ride. It took 4 months to write and now it's all gone...

All that remains is the concluding Episode 3 part to my trilogy. ETA July or so.

I would like to say a big thank you to all those who supported me or just took the time out to read my pitiful offerings.

But I would like to ask one thing. Any of you out there reading this....

I beg you... Please post a comment! Anything!
    • Did you like it?
    • Did you hate it?
    • Indifferent?
    • Should I have done something different?
    • Would you like to find out what happens to them?
    • You can even post just to acknowledge that you read it.
    Remember that readers are the lifeblood of writers. Without them we become shrivelled up zombies that wander the land looking for brains!

In closing, my writing is done.... Now its your turn!

Guardian of Light - Jesus Freak

Whoa! VERY good. My stories need to be more like yours.

Creator Of Worlds

On 2004-04-17 14:16, Stormsworder wrote:
    Whoa! VERY good. My stories need to be more like yours.
    Thank you! I'll add you to the Official Mr.Rubbish Fan Club. A badge and newsletter are on their way to you through the mail.