Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Navinator is Banned

Alright, alright. So Gamespot (Online site that loves PS2 just like EA loves it) Says that a Remake of the original Phantasy Star will come out for the Play Station 2. I find this hard to belive.
    1. Yuji Naka said Gamecube is easy to devolope for.
    2. Naka says he hates developing for PS2.
    3. Phantasy Star Online has most of it's fanbase on Gamecube.
    4. Most of the Sega Fanbase is on GCN and XBOX.
    5. PS2 Killed Dreamcast.
    6. Gamespot reported this

I have no reason to believe a Phantasy Star Remake is actually in the works. Mabey a post of all those games in the link will be released with their currnt graphics. But I really find it hard to believe that ST would want to release another game on PS2 after seeing Sonic Hero's numbers on that system.

why would you want to play it?

just get 4 ur pc

On 2004-03-27 15:59, Episode3 wrote:
    1. Yuji Naka said Gamecube is easy to devolope for.
    Yuji Naka is not creating it. He is busy with other games.
    2. Naka says he hates developing for PS2.
    No he didn't
    3. Phantasy Star Online has most of it's fanbase on Gamecube.
    Its not a PSO title. The original PS series and PSO are very different so I don't think that matters.
    4. Most of the Sega Fanbase is on GCN and XBOX.
    There is no way to actually know this. No poll about it has ever been created.
    5. PS2 Killed Dreamcast.
    But business is business. They simply can't avoid the top selling home console.
    6. Gamespot reported this
    No matter how much you dislike Gamestop, they are a large online gaming site that delivers gaming needs.

I have no reason to believe a Phantasy Star Remake is actually in the works.
    Sega confirmed that a Phantasy Star remake was in the works several years ago and it has also been released in Japan.

EGA Warrior
    In the loney shadows of Oakhurst, California.

Er.. PS:G1 and (I think) PS:G2 are already out for the PS2. I own the JP import of PS:G1. Conspiracy Games is handeling the US localization of all the Sega Ages Remakes. It should be out soon in the US as their site lists Phantasy Star: Generation 1 as being released in Q1 of 2004. No release dates set for Generation 2 or 4 as far as I know.

I think you're getting Phantasy Star mixed up with Phantasy Star Online. Sonic Team has no control over the Phantasy Star franchise. If anything, OverWorks would probably handle any new offline Phantasy Star games. (I.E. Phantasy Star 5) since that's where Pheonix Rei is at now. She's the creative designer for Phantasy Star. Pretty much the brains behind it all. In fact.. I don't even know why Sonic Team was given permission to do PSO instead of Overworks in the first place.

Anyhow...

"1. Yuji Naka said Gamecube is easy to devolope for."

--Yuji Naka's team isn't handling the remakes. His opinion on the PS2 or NGC doesn't matter.

"2. Naka says he hates developing for PS2."

Again.. Naka and Sonic Team have nothing to do with the remakes. Yuji Naka isn't even with Sonic Team anymore.

"3. Phantasy Star Online has most of it's fanbase on Gamecube."

The PlayStation2 is dominating Japan. Sega decided to release the remakes, because that would reach the largest possible audience that may remember playing the originals and decide to pick up the remakes. The Phantasy Star remakes are just part of a larger collection of remakes called the "Sega Ages 2400" collection. They'll be remaking other games such as Space Harrier, Golden Axe, Super Monico GP, Fantasy Zone, and many others along with the PS series.

"4. Most of the Sega Fanbase is on GCN and XBOX."

Sega isn't marketing these to their current fanbase. They're marketing them to anyone whoever were fans of their games in the past. They're going for the broadest spectrum of gamers.. which happens to be the PS2.

"5. PS2 Killed Dreamcast."

No, Sega killed the Dreamcast. Get over it.

"6. Gamespot reported this."

And they're right.

President of Mexicokagulphia

Which game, Phantasy Star. Is that like the one I have for my gameboy in phantasy star collection?! I'm soo confused!!!

The Navinator is Banned

By remake I am thinking new in 3D...And I have heard alot of people say Naka dosn't like to develop for PS2

Supreme Pantless Commander SpikeOtacon's Avatar

Naka has shown some dislike for the PS2, but as mentioned, he isn't working on this.

She's a summer love in the spring, fall and winter

Yeah, so far the only true statement is Naka (like many developers) dislike developing for the PS2 compared to other consoles. But if they like being able to put food on the table, they gotta make sure their games will be profitable, which usually means conforming to the standards of the industry.

I dont think Yuji hates working on PS2. If it was true then why is he working on AstroBoy for PS2?

Pink Haired Gothic Lolita Arislan's Avatar

Skett, the first documented time he has stated this was E3, the year Jet Set Radio and PSO V2 were shown (the same year the Sega booth was closed to all but invitees). He stated vehemently at that point as to how he will NEVER make a PSO game on the PS2, that he just hates the system architecture. He didn't state anything about another game series, just PSO.