Skilled Fighter

Ok, I have written MY pros and cons of each system, as well as the pros and cons of PSO on each system as I think they are both related.

If anyone wants to add things ive missed please feel free. I will be interested to hear other constructive comments. I am trying to be fair with everything I say here, so if you own one version or the other and believe ive missed something out, or disagree with a comment I made please add you comment at the bottom.

I have not mentioned voice comms as a XBOX PSO con. I think it is slightly unfair to say voice comms is a negative aspect when you have the option of using it or not using it. Lobbies are usually full of kiddies playing music into their mics, which I agree. The argument I make is that you do have a choice to mute these people or voice-ban them. Anyone who has played with friends in C-MODE with voice comms will agree with me that it is probably one of PSO’s greatest aspects. The point I make is you have a choice with XBOX PSO Voice Comms or Keyboard.

Gamecube Console

Pros

1. A Japanese derived console, meaning you will more often than not get a larger amount of Japanese software houses writing games for it, meaning, arguably more creative and exciting games.

2. Following on from point number 1. Nintendo seems to be "in bed" with Sega/Sonic team more than it is with Microsoft. This means your going to get preferential treatment when it comes to new Sonic Team games coming to the system first.

3. Nintendo has a strong pedigree of classic games already in its line-up. Zelda, Mario, basically some of the most loved games in the industry. If you want to play Mario and Zelda, you HAVE to buy a Gamecube.

4. The Gamecube is arguably the better-looking console aesthetically, although new limited edition XBOXS are looking better these days.

5. Link-up with the Gameboy Advance/SP.

6. Gamecube has a long heritage in the video game industry, something that Microsoft lacks.

Gamecube Console

Cons

1. From an "older" gamers point of view, Nintendo still has a stigma attached to it that it is aimed more at the younger gamer.

2. Total lack of online gaming/content other than Phantasy Star online Episodes 1 and 2 and PSO3.

3. Broadband adaptor or modem, need to be bought separately.

4. Memory cards are the only way to store data.

5. Only way to communicate online is with a Keyboard.

6. The Gamecube cannot play DVD.

XBOX Console

Pros

1. Technically superior to the Gamecube in almost ever aspect in terms of technology.

2. Full online service, for a yearly fee, gamers can connect to XBOX LIVE and play many games online with other gamers.

3. Voice comms allow a "hands free" environment and can produce a better gaming experience than having the distraction of having to type on a keyboard.

4. The hard drive on the XBOX allows for downloadable content in games. This is not possible on the Gamecube, due to the fact it can only use memory cards. A good example of FREE downloadable content would be Splinter Cell, were whole new levels can be downloaded.

5. XBOX live allows you to play with your friends not just in one game, but a number of LIVE titles. LIVE can also have its own private lobbies in order to speak to your friends when not in a game.

6. XBOX can be used as a DVD player. (With remote bought separately)

7. XBOX can output Optical Digital 5.1 Dolby surround sound.

XBOX Console

Cons

1. It’s damn ugly

2. Smaller selection of Japanese derived games than Gamecube.

3. A lot of games played online are not linked worldwide, PSO is a good example, with Japanese servers, European servers and US servers. This can be a negative point for some players.

4. Is arguably more susceptible to "hackers"

5. Does not have Zelda, Mario etc.

6. Broadband only.

Gamecube PSO

Cons

1. If you choose Gamecube PSO, there is no doubt about it, you’re going to get special treatment from Sonic Team over your XBOX friends. Gamecube gets content far in advance of the XBOX. This point can be argued the other way as XBOX PSO came out after Gamecube.

2. Arguably the Gamecube has nicer graphics in PSO, using a few special techniques on things like water and telepipes.

3. Play PSO on Gamecube, and you get to play with people from all over the world in one big happy family

4. PSO3, XBOX does not have PSO3 yet.

GameCube PSO

Cons

1. THE BIG ONE: Memory card corruption.

2. Only form of communicating is with the use of a keyboard.

3. Need multiple memory card to create more characters.

XBOX PSO

Pros

1. Allows the use of both Voice Comms and a Keyboard. Voice comms is great for C-MODE.

2. Everyone is on Broadband.

3. No character loss due to corruption.

4. Allows you to create tons of characters without having to buy memory cards.

5. Overall integration with XBOX LIVE.

XBOX PSO

Cons

1. Servers are separated, if you have the US version of PSO, you won’t be able to play with the Japanese or Europeans, vice versa.

2. XBOX PSO seems to get new content later than Gamecube, although XBOX PSO did technically come out after launch of Gamecube PSO.

This may sound biast but the gc has great games like the mario games, zelda and metroid (theres 100s more ).
    But the xbox sure has a few good games (halo, splinter cell 2 etc) but most of the xbox exclusive games quite frankly, suck.
    (this is eu) when theres xbox only titles with the word voodo in it you know it's cheesy.

xbox is a great console (halo *bang* ) but it lacks the exclusives the gc has.

And with the gc, that lacks the internet games and voice chat.

I admit I've always loved nintendo (sega are the best though ) but when the xbox came out I was gunna get it instead.
    Then the you have to have broadband, have to buy more for dvd and we don't have zelda kicked in so I got the gc.
    (I do play xbox alot though)
    I hope this is along the lines of pros and cons but I am only 13!

Skilled Fighter

I agree, I hope I have made these points clear in my post. I did say that the Gamecube has some amazing exclusives, Zelda, Mario, and loads of others.

I dont think we can count out the XBOX either though as it does have some great exclusives also: Dead or Alive, Ninja Gaiden, as well as Sega games, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Jet Set Radio Future, Gun Valkyrie. etc etc.

Your comment about the XBOX been broadband only was covered as well I beleive. This can be deemed as a negative aspect if you do not have access to broadband, but in reality Microsoft are simply been realistic about things. Granted, it does put a downer on things if you do not have broadband.

Playing most other online games does require a Broadband connection in order to enjoy them and create a lag free gaming environment. I think it would be very hard to play certain titles online if connections were mixed. An example would be someone playing a fighting game online, one person with high speed broadband, one on 56k. That coupled with voice comms, its going to be nigh on impossible for the 56k user.

I think in an ideal world a gamer would have both machines

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AndyPandy on 2004-04-19 04:46 ]</font>

I agree but most of the xclusive for xbox are just changed old games that are very very simular (pso, jet set radio and so on.).
    Heh I'd like to see the modem on fighting games though lol.
    Are you pso gc?

Wolf Master Raghar of the Warriors of Fenrir

Like said Xbox has fewer good games, but its best game PWNS any other game out there (Halo). Simply put with a couple of friends you can out play any 2 games when it somes to Halo...

Also the Xbox has a line up of good titles coming out: Fable (OMG looks like it is going to be the best 1 player RPG ever), Mechassault 2 (first one was ok... but this oone you get to use tanks and helos), Halo 2 (the most looked forward to game ever), + more (I have not looked much into the latest stuff magazine though)

here is a big Pro and Con of both systems I may add:

Xbox has the best muti-player enviroment out of all the systems (it PWNs all the others) so if you like playing muti player... get the Xbox.

The Gamecube does have better single player games that anybody can play, but its muti-player is really lacking.

and last but not least... the Hardware cons of both systems:

Gamecube controllers: ... sry guys but I used to have a GC, and I must say their controllers suck... their main control stick gets loose too easily, making them useless

The Xbox itself: of all the new Systems the Xbox is the one that breaks down the most... o well I still like it better...

Lol me and my mate tried this.
    A xbox control is almost as big as the DC lol!!!
    But GC has the biggest multi game MKD which was great.
    Halo isn't that good, but it's the best shooting game yeah (I personally prefer XIII kickass shootert with a complex story line)....except the famous goldeneye

GC also has great games to be released though MGS, Goldeneye 2 etc.
    It also has the sonic games and my favourite sports game, 1080.

But yeah the xbox is great too but I still prefer the GC, if ya kicked an xbox you'de break ya foot lol.

first off broadband only for xbox is a GOOD thing even now in some games you still get lag (AND WE ARE ALL ON BROADBAND!!!) so i cant even begin to imagine what it would be like with 56kers in there.

seconds off, is that comment out good new games for gc and mentioned goldeneye 2 which is coming out on xbox aswell, also (pardon my french, and hope the forums censors this lol) goldeneye 2 is goin to be total shit as its another EA game who have not yet made a single good game yet, they have made some "ok" game's but none of them have been great.

as we near the end of this post i would also like to say that yea the gc controllers are shit lol,taky cheap and plasticy).

thanks guys you've been great cya next time at my next post