Okay, this is the weirdest problem I've had in a while. o_O

Okay, so, Mr. Woolley (the guy I'm staying with) bought an Xbox and had his son mod it. It know has a big hard drive, a bunch of preloaded games, and that weird OS thingy for loading the games, and so on.

I was eager to try out my copy of Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, so I popped it in and...it didn't work. I could hear the sound just fine, but the graphics didn't show up right. The screen was basically pitch black, but you could sort of make out the outline of like, the title of the game when I pressed start.

But when we popped in TopSpin/NCAA2005, that worked just fine and dandy. I can't understand why my game wouldn't work, it's a standard NTSC copy of the game...and, further, when I bought it, it was brand new.

I'm pretty sure the modding has SOMETHING to do with this, but I really wish I could get this to work. Any ideas, guys? >_<

My friend has a modded XBOX and he has no problems with "his" games...

Most people I know who have XBOX's usually have more problems with the HD going to hell--causing games to freeze or slow down.

I would suggest renting another copy of MGS2 and see if it does it with that one as well.

If it does, chances are your friend screwed up something with the scanning lense or what tells the differences between Xbox/CD/DVDs and incompatible disks.

Might want to make sure the lense is clean and the cords are properly connected from the Xbox to the TV.

Other than that, well, buy a PS2 and MGS2 for it. Than you get MGS3 as well.

On 2005-01-12 19:44, Skett wrote:
    I would suggest renting another copy of MGS2 and see if it does it with that one as well.

If it does, chances are your friend screwed up something with the scanning lense or what tells the differences between Xbox/CD/DVDs and incompatible disks.

Might want to make sure the lense is clean and the cords are properly connected from the Xbox to the TV.

Other than that, well, buy a PS2 and MGS2 for it. Than you get MGS3 as well.
    Hm, the cords must be connected fully, becuase right after I tried MGS2, I also tried TopSpin/NCAA2005, and it worked just fine...but, I noticed, TopSpin is one of the games preloaded. Hm...

EDIT: After talking to his son for a bit, Mr. Woolley figured out how to deactivate the mod, turning the Xbox back into a normal Xbox (with the exception of the giant hard drive ), and it played MGS2 just fine. Yay.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2005-01-14 07:04 ]</font>

Just a lil' bit old school. Mazarin's Avatar

Why not just save MGS2 to the HD?

No topics about getting burned games to work on modded systems.
    Lazy bored. Crazy stupid.