Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Nintendo's games ready for Revolution

A staggering 221 first-party Nintendo classics ready for download

Nintendo has finished collating and formatting all 221 of its first-party NES, SNES and N64 titles, which will be offered to Revolution users via free download when new the hardware launches in 2006.

According to an article in the latest issue of Japanese games magazine Famitsu, Nintendo will definitely offer every first-party title it's ever published for its three pre-Cube consoles for free download from day one.

Famitsu also reconfirmed that Nintendo will allow third-parties to make any number of their games available, though points out that the pricing of such titles is at the discretion of the publisher in question and as such won't necessarily be free.

While it's clear Nintendo's motive for offering its back-catalogue to customers for free is to shift its new console, third-party publishers have no self-serving motive for giving their games to Nintendo for free, so are expected to use their titles to add purchasing incentive to their own Revolution game releases.

Famitsu has also published new results for its ongoing reader survey, where readers vote for which next-gen console they're most interested in.

Revolution is once again on top, slightly extending its lead with 43% of the vote, while PS3 has suffered a big drop on previous results to 35%, and Xbox 360 has climbed to 22%.

Whether or not these figures will translate to actual real-world market share remains to be seen...

gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default.asp?..

This is was copy and pasted from another source, and my personal opinion is this

What would be rock were if that sega launched a full library of the classic Sega games like Phantasy Star Series and Sonic Series for the Revolution download. I mean they were not Nintendo Games at the time but they can make them now.

Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata has nullified previous suggestions from the company that its 221-strong back catalogue of first-party classics will be both immediately accessible and downloadable for free on to Revolution.

Speaking at a business strategy conference yesterday, Iwata said, "There are rumours floating on the internet that the Virtual Console will be available for play for free, but we have no plans to distribute [the games] without charge.

"We believe that there are a number of ways that we can use the system," Iwata revealed, expressing a clear intention to use the back catalogue for more than just freebies to loyal customers.

"[We could] offer a bonus download with the purchase of a new game, or allow some games to be downloaded during a limited time during a campaign period," he continued.

For many, this clarification will come as a major blow. Previous thought that back-catalogue games would be free has recently given a massive boost to Revolution's desirability, despite the console having little to shout about compared to its next-gen contemporaries.

Offering all of its previous NES, SNES and N64 releases for free would give Nintendo a massive advantage in quickly building a substantial user base. However, with the company looking to use the titles as incentives to sell software rather than hardware, gamers are now, yet again, waiting for a reason to buy the console.

http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/def...sectionid=1587
    Lazy bored. Crazy stupid.

Crazy Awesome Old Potato Man Guy HAYABUSA-FMW-'s Avatar

While the games most likely won't be immediately accessible and free of charge, there are many people out there willing to pay more reasonable prices for rarer Nintendo Games, First or Third party.

Reasonable, considering something like a SNES and Chrono Trigger, both likely used(and perhaps not in good condition), would probably cost more than a download of the game to the Revolution, more or less common sense vs. wishful thinking.

Yes, you could have purchased it upon its initial release, or could be tracking your copy down now for about the same price(the "rare/good" software, as SNES hardware is a lot cheaper).

How does the interface/console part of it work?
    Loading up a game through the memory-browser-load up screen, choosing a(n emulated) console, etc.

I'm as interested in that as much as what price-and how many-games will be availible for download, and how it will all work.

they should just realese all the nes games on a single disc with new imporvments in size of storage for discs they could put every nes game on a disc

Crazy Awesome Old Potato Man Guy HAYABUSA-FMW-'s Avatar

On 2005-06-09 22:11, St_Botchua wrote:
    they should just realese all the nes games on a single disc with new imporvments in size of storage for discs they could put every nes game on a disc and it should cost one dollar
    I'm sorry that isn't going to happen.
    Every NES game ever?!

Do you mean First Party(made by Nintendo) or Third Party(made by anyone else)?

That would cost a fortune, either way.

Sorry for being harsh, and adding in that dollar part. It is just an idea with more cons(negatives) than pros(positives). Or it isn't very feasible(money wise for one, yeah it sucks huh?) for Nintendo or any of the third party developers to do this.

Look how long compilations of game series take, especially with comments like these. For example the Megaman X series, the new compilation of all the X games is getting terrible feedback for things some consumers want put in the game.

You know, that just hit me: I wonder if that console will be able to perfectly emulate its old games. I say that because I have Sega Smash Pack, and my Dreamcast had a hard time emulating old Genesis games, yet that would play properly on an emulator I installed on my computer.
    "Sword logic? That's cute."

they should just realese all the nes games on a single disc with new imporvments in size of storage for discs they could put every nes game on a disc
    There's um, shit loads of NES games. =/

I don't know, like over 1000. ;p

On 2005-06-10 08:04, TheOneHero wrote:
    There's um, shit loads of NES games. =/

I don't know, like over 1000. ;p
    But TOH, it's fun when people who have no idea what they're talking about try and say what players in the industry should or should not be doing.

the whole thing is rather uninteresting anyway. as if anyone today would actually play NES games. people would most likely just collect those games to have them....

anyway, i doubt they'll release my personal fav. 3rd party games anyway...

thus, i'd like to see a list of those 200 something games to see whats not part of it.
    「愛と空の女王様」を言でもいい。 We are Heroes. This is what we do!

Supreme Pantless Commander SpikeOtacon's Avatar

On 2005-06-10 11:13, rena-ko wrote:
    the whole thing is rather uninteresting anyway. as if anyone today would actually play NES games. people would most likely just collect those games to have them....

anyway, i doubt they'll release my personal fav. 3rd party games anyway...

thus, i'd like to see a list of those 200 something games to see whats not part of it.
    It's merely Nintendo showing how it counts mainly on it's hardcore fans for support. Kind of a 'win you back' strategy after the embarassment that the Gamecube went through early on in it's lifecycle. And for those people they lost during the n64 droughts.

She's a summer love in the spring, fall and winter