Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OK I got caught up in the HDTV buzz for the next gen consoles, and I'm looking to buy one but I have some questions.

Is LCD the same thing as an HDTV? I always thought LCD was like the next lower of an HDTV---and an HDTV was just that, an HDTV.

But I found this one, which is what I think I want:

Sharp 20" LCD

So this is S-video ready, and its LCD and it says it's HDTV "ready" (I assume that means it IS an HDTV?)...

Anyways is this what I'm looking for?

Thanks for the help.

LCD is a technical solution. it says nothing about resolution.
    and HDTV isnt HDTV either.

really, hunt down a computer mag that covers that.

make sure you buy a 'HD ready' screen. at least you wont get a blackscreen that way when using a copyprotected blu-ray disk for example...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2005-07-13 14:45 ]</font>
    「愛と空の女王様」を言でもいい。 We are Heroes. This is what we do!

OK great so as long as its HDTV ready then I'm good to go.

..and when you play video games on an HDTV you just hook up through S-video right?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AUTO_ on 2005-07-13 14:52 ]</font>

if you take the ps3 for example, you have various ways of hooking it up (most likely that will require you to buy an extra cable - but thats sony for you, i guess)
    「愛と空の女王様」を言でもいい。 We are Heroes. This is what we do!

HDTV Ready does NOT, I repeat, NOT mean it is an HDTV. Some televisions have a HDTV de-coder built in to convert the digital to analog. However, by law, all HDTV sets are required to have the HDTV logo on them.

Also, LCD is how the screen is made, not the resolution as Rena said. LCD is a good choice, if you want to replace it within about, say, five years or so. LCD screens are great yes, but they are backlit which means you have a bulb inside that will go out in approximately 5 years give or take a year or two based on usage. And, the bulb itself is so expensive to replace you are better off buying a new set. I mention this just because that is the specific type you mentioned. Read up a bit on all the different types, Rear and Front Projection, LCD, LCD projection... many types. All have advantages and disadvantages. For LCD the disadvantage is the life, the advantages are price, color is better, whites whiter, blacks blacker, but washes out over time as well.

sound designer & break time participant

..and when you play video games on an HDTV you just hook up through S-video right?
    No, I believe there is proprietary cable and something as well that is like a component cable.. YrBr or whatever, i forget, it's late.

Not to mention that 20" LCD is a bad price. i've seen 1080 capable sets (non plasma) that were at least 32" for less that 650.. so 699 for a private lcd would be a rip.. do some price hunting.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: digigram on 2005-07-13 21:01 ]</font>

Alright thanks all for your help.

I got one question though.

Is there a huge difference in picture for video games between an HDTV with HDTV input (video game hookup is component cables right? For best pic) and a non HDTV but a high resolution (like the one I posted) that has a component input?

Thanks again.

If you want to play games in HD, you don't even need an HDTV. You can get a 20" monitor for $100 and get a VGA adaptor for your console. I used a VGA adaptor for dreamcast (they were widely produced) and use this one now for Xbox ($65). In the VGA adaptor market, about 90% of them are fake VGA adaptors that do not display in high definition even though they claim to do so. Make sure the VGA adaptor supports 480p, 720p, and 1080i modes.

I bet the next wave of consoles will bring in many more VGA adaptors as HD alternatives for gamers.

Pink Haired Gothic Lolita Arislan's Avatar

LCDs are expensive, and TINY for the money. You are FAR better going with a flatscreen tube, a rear projection, or a DLP. DLP probably being the best quality in general at the moment... Just my 2 cents.

sound designer & break time participant

i agree with arislan.