Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Vaguely effeminite DS/Dice weilding Mac using Vamp Wyndham's Avatar

it's my Birthday is on August the fourteenth, and I'm turning seventeen.
    I get to do two things with my birthday money, which is at a consistent rate. this year ill get at least about 70 dollars. half my money is going to go towards a katana. not an expensive one, I just would love to have one to go on my tv. ive wanted to get one since I saw one in a movie at age 5.
    now here's the problem.
    I have three possible scources to buy mine from. ebay. amazon. a store my friend in NC knows(id send him the money). or my friend Mellen's dad who sells them out of his basement.
    I will most likely get about 100-120 dollars.
    i only need 39 dollars to repay my mom for the PS2 she helpedme buy.
    and i dont want one thats too cheap.
    so where should i buy my new sword, what should i look for, and is there anything i should watch out for.
    I'm looking for one with a black handle and sheath, because it's my favourite colour.
    or possibly a dark red.

and why am i putting this in fkl?
    because i want to get advice from people who I've interacted with in a certain way, because this is pretty much the place i spend most of internet time on.
    and only a few of my friends even own one, and fewer know the difference between a ripoff and something that is worth my money.
    My sig disappeared.

1.) Balance. A poorly balanced sword =
    2.) Blade quality. If it's too flexible,
    3.) Pie cutting ability. If it can't cut pie,

Pink Haired Gothic Lolita Arislan's Avatar

Any sword you buy at around 100-120 dollars is going to be a display sword. IE, half tang at most, and not at all sharp. And if it *is* sharpened, it's going to basically be pot metal, and will dull after a few hits against anything. At that rate, you're just as well off buying a 30 dollar neat looking but non functional sword as you are buying a 150 dollar sword that looks really neat.

On 2005-07-17 19:29, Arislan wrote:
    Any sword you buy at around 100-120 dollars is going to be a display sword. IE, half tang at most, and not at all sharp. And if it *is* sharpened, it's going to basically be pot metal, and will dull after a few hits against anything. At that rate, you're just as well off buying a 30 dollar neat looking but non functional sword as you are buying a 150 dollar sword that looks really neat.
    oh yeah, im also considering waiting until Xmas when ill get even more money. >_>
    My sig disappeared.

I have a cousin that makes swords as a profession. His cheap models run about ten grand. A good knife is gonna run you about a grand as well. Custom swords are collectors items, especially 'battle quality' swords. You are better off just buying a $30 Wal-Mart sword if you aren't willing to spend at least a couple grand.

On 2005-07-17 19:34, BLITZKOMMANDO wrote:
    I have a cousin that makes swords as a profession. His cheap models run about ten grand. A good knife is gonna run you about a grand as well. Custom swords are collectors items, especially 'battle quality' swords. You are better off just buying a $30 Wal-Mart sword if you aren't willing to spend at least a couple grand.
    i know that.
    i want high end crap.
    My sig disappeared.

On 2005-07-17 19:36, Oran1324 wrote:
    i know that.
    i want high end crap.
    So wait.. Your mom checks your internet history but is going to let you buy a $10000+ sword? I hope you can find a good low rate loan for that thing.

On 2005-07-17 20:33, BLITZKOMMANDO wrote:
    On 2005-07-17 19:36, Oran1324 wrote:
    i know that.
    i want high end crap.
    So wait.. Your mom checks your internet history but is going to let you buy a $10000+ sword? I hope you can find a good low rate loan for that thing.
    i meant high end crap as the 50-150 range.
    My sig disappeared.

Crazy Awesome Old Potato Man Guy HAYABUSA-FMW-'s Avatar

On 2005-07-17 20:52, Oran1324 wrote:

i meant high end crap as the 50-150 range.
    On 2005-07-17 19:29, Arislan wrote:

Any sword you buy at around 100-120 dollars is going to be a display sword.

At that rate, you're just as well off buying a 30 dollar neat looking but non functional sword as you are buying a 150 dollar sword that looks really neat.
    READ EVERYTHING. Your biggest problem.
    Also don't use the sword to hit things, which Arislan also covered.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: HAYABUSA-FMW- on 2005-07-18 00:54 ]</font>

I once saw a japanese katana on a chinese store. Wondering what it was doing there, I decided to take a look.

When I took it out of the swordguard, it had dry blood in it.

Therefore, ALL IS STUPID.