Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is something I've always been confused about. The subject of video game exclusivity.

I understand that SEGA/Sonic Team selected the PlayStation 2 as the platform for Phantasy Star Universe on the grounds that the PS2's installed userbase is the largest, and they want this game to be more recognized than Phantasy Star Online. This makes perfect sense, and I can't argue this point--I also think that it's a crying shame that PSO is not more popular.

However. I don't understand why SEGA/Sonic Team didn't just port PSO to PS2, GC and XBox in the first place. Furthermore, this brings me to my initial point:

Why in the world don't they just have PSU come out for PC, PS2, XBox and GC? I've gotta go to lunch, I'll be back later.

I read it on PSOW, so it must be true

Development might be hard to make it for all 3 consoles... although I'd much prefer it to be multiplatform rather than stealing Saiffy's PS2 >.>;

And... wouldn't it look better on GC/XBox? Just a point.

PS2 is very different architecture from GC/Xbox, Yuji Naka commented on the difficulties of porting the original PSO to it. DC was much closer to GC/Xbox, so I think that's why it went to them. For PSU it looks obvious that they've built a new engine from the ground up.

As for PSU only being on PS2 and PC, well I don't think they have much alternative really! It's broadband only, so it would be pointless to bring it out on GC because of how few people have the broadband adaptor and the lack of support Nintendo have shown to online in general

And Xbox Live is a closed network, which I don't think Sonic Team have ever liked. With PSU you will have PS2 users playing against PC users, creating a much bigger community. The Xbox version would have to be seperate from all that, which combined with the small userbase in Japan probably doesn't make an Xbox version very worthwhile to Sonic Team.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nash on 2005-07-26 09:39 ]</font>

Back from lunch, so now I have more time to elaborate on what I wanted to say.

"Development might be hard to make it for all 3 consoles... although I'd much prefer it to be multiplatform rather than stealing Saiffy's PS2 >.>;

And... wouldn't it look better on GC/XBox? Just a point."

I'm aware that the problem lies within getting different platforms to all run the same game equally, provided the hardware differences. However, they have [online] PC games running on tons of different kinds of PC hardware, and if they put form the effort, I'm sure they could manage to have PSU running on each console without many problems since console hardware is guaranteed to be the same (ie: every XBox is the same, every GC is the same, every PS2 is the same versus the myriad of different PCs out there).

And yeah, GC/XBox would look a whole lot better than PS2. To be honest, I'd like for PSU to be a Nintendo Revolution title..

"As for PSU only being on PS2 and PC, well I don't think they have much alternative really! It's broadband only, so it would be pointless to bring it out on GC because of how few people have the broadband adaptor and the lack of support Nintendo have shown to online in general"

VERY easy solution: BB Adaptor Pack-in.

If Nintendo can pack-in bongo controllers, GBA link cables, rumble paks, memory cards, and etc.. I'm QUITE sure SEGA/Sonic Team could convince them to pack-in the BB adaptors.

That's SEGA's problem, and it always has been--the can create some of the best games in the world, but they always go about doing things (seemingly) the wrong way.. which is why they are where they are today.

I tell ya, I really wish Nintendo and SEGA would just merge into one company.

Bundling a broadband adaptor would significantly reduce the profit margins for Sega, on a game that must have pretty huge development costs already. Unless Nintendo paid for it, which lets face it they aren't going to do this late in the GC's life for one game.

If I was Sega I'd be pretty pissed-off at the lack of support Nintendo gave to online with the GC. Sega basically supported it single-handed, and with no 1st-party Nintendo games to boost sales of the 56k/broadband adaptors that harmed PSO's sales.

I'd like to see PSU on Revolution, and I'd like to see all Sega's games brought back onto one platform again. Quite why Nintendo didn't buy them when they had the chance I don't know, but now Sega are in the hands of Sammy profit is king. A lot of the console development has stopped, and they seem to be going back to focussing on the arcade again. Which is still big business in Japan.

We're lucky to be getting PSU really, the boss of Sammy is a huge fan of PSO so it was one of the few console games to be safe. That's why I don't care what platform it's on, and to be honest PS2 makes the best sense with the slim model having the network adaptor built in.

I agree. During the time of when SEGA was negotiating with other companies about selling/merging they passed up a lot of VERY good companies.

I don't know the specifics about their talks with Nintendo, but I do clearly remember that NAMCO was ready and willing to make the move.. only to have SEGA change their mind at the last minute and then go with Sammy.

NAMCO has since merged with Bandai, whom Nintendo owns quite a bit of stock in if I recall correctly. SEGA might have missed the boat on this one..

In a perfect world, NAMCO, Nintendo, Bandai and SEGA would join powers to widthstand the upcoming generation of video games [which a lot of people are speculation a possible market crash--mostly because of the direction games are headed in].

GO TO HELL C:

On 2005-07-26 09:13, SUPAH_CHAO wrote:
    stealing Saiffy's PS2 >.>;

Well, ST's made their choice. Not much point in thinking about what could happen.

or rather, try to make sense of ST's logic. o:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saiffwin on 2005-07-26 11:13 ]</font>

I've recently had some big changes, computer-wise, and that has affected the way I see consoles. Not but 6 months ago, I would probably have been asking the same questions. But today, I don't see the reasoning anymore. I might even go as far as saying that to make the game to full potential, to scrap all console versions. But, I won't say that because I can see that a console would make them money on the game.

But, if this truely is going to be what Sega wants it to be, the best MMORPG yet, sticking on a single market would be more logical. Since it is on PS2 and PC, all of the advantages of a PC only environment are lost. One of the biggest being a harddrive on the client's side. Even with server side saving and whatnot, it would still be better to have a client with a harddrive. Updates, new areas, new this that and the other stuff. Another thing that I really like is things like the Windows IME for Japanese. PSO had much more limited vocabulary than there is possible in Japanese. And myself being someone who is learning Japanese finds that frustrating and confusing.

I have other reasons for my way of thinking now but I don't want to get too technical. Although, I probably already have. In any event, PS2 is the most popular game console out, worldwide. That probably has more to do with the decision than anything.

It would've taken too long to develop on all 3 consoles. Plus besides the very true facts ppl have said about the Xbox, the Xbox 360 is coming out late this year O_o;; So it isn't really that smart to release it there.

REALLY, PSU SHOULD come out for PS2/PC. If it were up to me, PC only but oh well, Sony just had to fuck it up by taking the HDD bay off the new PS2 >: If it's coming for PC/PS2, let it stay there alone. The game will have a more solid community in general! Nor like present PSO where some are in GC, others in XB, others in JPN BB and others in US BB O_o Really, it isn't that convenient. I'd love to go back to the days where the first ship had full blocks till like number 8. Really, I think PSU has a much better chance of getting recognized as a superb online game with the PC/PS2. As for graphics, it seems like ST is doing a GREAT job with the PC version, after all they're developing them at the same time. So we can expect having added effects (or improvoed ones) on the PC platform. The PSU screens already look amazing (and they're obviously PC version screens, if not, then man if it looks that good on PS2 then I can't imagine on PC O_o ) Plus like I said in another post, I don't want PSU going on a 2 year trip through all consoles when they could use that time to put more content on PSU and develop a sequel.
    From PSO Ep 1-4 to PSU, PS0, PSP 1-2, and now PSO2... it's been a long journey.