Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    techn0rganic

I was thinking about the pros and cons of text vs voice chat and I've concluded that text chat would be better mainly for one reason: Censoring.

If you look at voice chat, nothing is stopping some little teenager with an annoying voice and lisp to drop the F bomb over and over.

With text chat, you can block out any string of letters that come up as offensive, and to stop spamming they could implement a censor that won't allow you to post the same exact message over and over. I've seen games where you can't type the same message immiedatly after posting it. (EX:, if you type "stfu!" you couldn't type that exact same message again until something new was said)

Now of course someone could just say the same thing over and over but change it a bit each time like STFU#, STFU$, etc. But this would atleast stop people from spamming shortcut messages.

Lastly text chat is better because you can type in 1337, case closed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _Tek_ on 2005-08-24 21:09 ]</font>

I agree... I definitely don't want to hear any of that crap... And I'm not sure I would want to be heard either... And can you imagine lobbies??? What was it like on the Xbox version? Was voice chat possible? I don't even know!

techn0rganic

I think xbox had a function that let you speak to certain people directly, and you could probably mute everyone else, but that's a pain in the ass anyways.

With text chat you could also look at the look window to see the recent history of chat, so then that may also help in arguments between morons. "You said it!"
    "no i didn't!" "see it says right htere in the log window" pwnt, etc.

Voice Chatting should be no different than Guild Cards: give them to who you trust. You clutter up the screen less, your game plays more efficiently, you can get assistance faster, etc.

techn0rganic

But can't you do that in both text and voice? In pso-BB couldn't you set up the chat so that it transmitted what you said to everyone in your special team of friends?

I gave up on GC PSO over two years ago. Don't ask me.

I've always preferred text-chat in PSO. I just find it more relaxing and less intrusive when you are playing it for long sessions.

I think they should license a Babel Fish style auto-translator for the game and offer that as an option. Would make for some good comedy translations as well

Censoring is stupid. Oh noes, little Timmy heard the F-word on PSU!!111

One, WTF is little Timmy doing playing a game rated 'Teen'? Did nobody bother to tell little Timmy's parents that hey, little Timmy might be better off with Super Mario Bros. 88 1/32nd? >_>

Two, little Timmy already learned the F-word from his daddy last time daddy accidentally smashed his fingers with a hammer.

Three, ST has already proven their inability to come up with any kind of sensible censor system. Shoes? Saturday? Amusement? Frozen Shooter? Hell Rifle? Heck, they can't even get it consistent! 'Sexy' is censored, but Elly says it in the game.

Basically, my point. If you're under 13, you shouldn't be playing the game. Actually, I'd prefer if it was at least 15. And if you are that old... Um, you aren't going to learn anything new as far as cursing goes. >_>

But of course they've always got to dumb everything down and make it stupid so little Timmy's idiot parents who shouldn't have bought him the game in the first place but did anyway so he'd shut up for five minutes because they're too lazy to parent him properly won't whine that the media and videogames are exposing their little darling to foul language and violence. 9_9

PSUJP: Nai Calus, M. B. 176 FI 20 | Elly, F. N. 42 FT 5 Requiescat in pace.

Refreshing Minty Flavor Puppet_Papaya's Avatar

Ian's entire post, yo.
    Agreed. Everything.

lolDiads
    If Diad was a planet in PSU, I'd live there

I disagree, probably because I have this crazy idea where there might be people in this world that don't want to be exposed to foul language all the time.

The word censor should be a toggle function, much like map direction, rumble packs, etc.