I started out playing pso GC a while back on a stock memory card, and am now interested in securing my carefully honed characters against corruption via transfer to a USB memory card which can be backed up/restored.

**NOTE: this is not about duping/hacking.. i could do that without moving the characters using the mentioned equipment, so please no locking and chastising for asking about hacks**

here is a thread for reference regarding my idea below:

I was thinking i would:

-load the new card in slot a, the old one in slot b
    -start a multimode game with a created character in slot a and the desired chars from slot b.
    -give my chars' items to the new char
    -quit game and not transfer the characters back to the old card (according to that thread, leaving the bare bones char with stats/levels/techs but no items in the temp area on the new card)
    -link new card to computer and move char data from temp to normal area
    -insert new card into slot b and old into slot a, make a multimode game and transfer items from created char back to chars which have been previously moved.

would this have the proper result as far as moving char data? The major area in which i'm doubtful is the ability to move the file from a temp to a permanent status.

C mode Force

I don't think it would work; ie if your old card corrupts, those characters can not be transferred back to that card from your second card, as the original character file is gone. The USB element doesn't figure in the equation as far as I can see.

Your PSO data is tied to the format ID of the specific card it is saved on. When you backup a USB card or even a backup of an official Nintendo card (using a program I'm not allowed to mention) you are restoring that info back onto a card that matches the format ID of the save. If you try restoring a backup save to a different card, the info will corrupt and will wipe out all of your PSO files (System File, Guildcard File and Character file.)

On 2005-09-27 04:46, SLON wrote:
    I don't think it would work; ie if your old card corrupts, those characters can not be transferred back to that card from your second card, as the original character file is gone. The USB element doesn't figure in the equation as far as I can see.
    well, the point of transferring the data from the old card to the usb card would be to allow me to back up my data on puter and in case of corruption restore it to the usb card. I have no intention of even using the second memory card.

Your PSO data is tied to the format ID of the specific card it is saved on. When you backup a USB card or even a backup of an official Nintendo card (using a program I'm not allowed to mention) you are restoring that info back onto a card that matches the format ID of the save. If you try restoring a backup save to a different card, the info will corrupt and will wipe out all of your PSO files (System File, Guildcard File and Character file.)
    this is an interesting concern, but i'm creating an official temp (with only stats/levels/techs) and then redesignating the temp as permanent. would not the temp have the proper fromat id?

my concern is it would not be possible to redesignate the temp.

On 2005-09-28 10:14, plasmacutter wrote:
    this is an interesting concern, but i'm creating an official temp (with only stats/levels/techs) and then redesignating the temp as permanent. would not the temp have the proper fromat id?

my concern is it would not be possible to redesignate the temp.
    The only way that I know of to do that would be to edit the Character file on your pc and replace one of the normal character slots with the temp char info. However, when you get the file onto your PC (which is easy if you know how even without using a USB card) you still have to contend with the file encryption as well as editting the correct offsets in some type of hex editor. I guess all I can say is good luck

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2005-09-28 11:46 ]</font>

well.. thanks for letting that program slip. i don't need to move the files at all so long as i have a backup to secure against corruption. you saved me money. now I don't need more than one memory card.