Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ok, so i went out to a digital convention, mostly to get a hands on time with psu, hoping to unlock some of the mysteries.
    Soo well ill begin with my conclusion, welp it was lackluster. It didnt suck, but it didnt particularly seem coooool either. There was a sort of pso feeling to it, A feeling that i had done this before. Of course this was a demo, much funtionality was missing, but ill get to that later.
    That being said what was it like? well notably there were 2 main action buttons. for ps2 these were Square and triangle. square was labeled attack, and triangle had various names depending on teh weapon. it seemed thsi was the customizable aspect to your weapons, having it be named implies it can be changed. sword was called shield break, so maybe these type of attacks can also have properties. circle jumped to a weapon menu that had preset weapon choices, saber/gun dagger/gun, sword, rod. R1 allowed one to use the gun/(otherhand?). I was unable to get first person mode, dont know if handgun has this option, or possibly i didnt know how to do it. another notable thing about guns, apparenbtly they have bullets, and can run out of them. as far as rod, it had two techniques instead of attacks. resta and gifoie. honestly i had trouble locating my mp or tp, id be inclined to think it didnt exist, but one guy dropped a monofluid. the technique was like an attack, and it isnt instant, you can get hit before you officially cast and cast nothing.
    the longest chain attack i got was 6 i think with sword.
    Well it was ok, nothing super beyond and above pso, but keep in mind i didnt have acess to a start menu, i couldnt choose directly what to EQ except preset combos. So there could be a lot missing. thats my report anyhow take it as you may

Oh god, I certinly hope it was just that, a DEMO.

But nice work with the recon.

You forgot one thing that the NPC actually help you and don't die that quickly.

I had no clue how to turn to first person view with the gun.

Oh yea please use space between a few sentence for easy reading.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ForceEJ on 2005-10-14 18:35 ]</font>

techn0rganic

I think the reason it seems lackluster is you play pso so long, that any reincarnation of it seems to bore. But I suppose we'll still end up playing 5000 hours of it.

lolDiads
    If Diad was a planet in PSU, I'd live there

From all the descriptions, this sounds like the exact same early demo build that was showcased at E3 back in May.

That's disappointing to hear. Action games have come so far over the last 5 years and if PSU hasn't advanced very far from PSO...

Well I guess I will find out for myself tomorrow. But I'm not feeling optimistic right now.

On 2005-10-14 18:33, ForceEJ wrote:
    You forgot one thing that the NPC actually help you and don't die that quickly.

I had no clue how to turn to first person view with the gun.

Oh yea please use space between a few sentence for easy reading.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ForceEJ on 2005-10-14 18:35 ]</font>
    R3 button ^_^ ...or was it L3...well I'm not that sure since I played it on a PC, not PS2

On 2005-10-14 19:18, _Tek_ wrote:
    I think the reason it seems lackluster is you play pso so long, that any reincarnation of it seems to bore. But I suppose we'll still end up playing 5000 hours of it.
    Indeed. After thinking, I believe that, correct me if I'm wrong, you didn't get the full effect because you played as Ethan, not your own custom character. Not to say that's a bad thing or any thing, you just didn't get the full effect of the good old PSO customization.

your definately right, playing as ethan was not as entertaining, and especially, it seemed the demo was sort of pieced together, the transitions from cutscene to action were forced, it didnt bring you in. this of course is ademo.

I think what you can note from my playing, is that the battle system is not a far cry above old pso. In that respect it isnt new or ground breaking. However, time has mellowed me out a bit. Like i said it was a demo and pso is an action rpg, a good deal of teh entertainment is customization and charachter building, these elements we cant see from the demo.
    Is definately true that ihave played pso excessively, and that some one who played less may be less jaded.

Essentially a lot will depend on teh things outside the battle system and how much customization they have added.

Aside from the lack of options you had when you played it seems pretty good, I still love and play PSO so I don't plan on getting bored of it quick at all.

REAL BULLETS?!...NOT PHOTON?!...

Real Bullets+Limited Ammo=JOY!!!
    Life is just a lie with an "f" in it.