Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Down for the Getdown

I hopped on FFXI the other day, just to talk to some old friends and what not for a lil bit and was telling them how I'm stuck with FFXI for a lil bit longer cause PSU is delayed and it got me wondering...How will the story online be? FFXI has an okay story, seeing as how its an MMORPG you can give it a little slack on story, but it is somewhat interesting. Since Sega is really pushing the offline mode and its story and whatnot, and since online you are playing on the same timeline as offline, I wonder if like some of the thing that Ethan does offline will affect online? Like Ethan blows up some city or something and they release a patch in which one of the lobbies/cities is in disrepair and whanot. I think it'd be cool.

Edit: I also think it'd be cool to have missions relating to stuff that happens offline.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DizzyDi on 2006-03-08 17:27 ]</font>

That does sound cool. Is the story timeline before or after ep1+2? if it was it would be nice to see the old story. If not i wouldn't mind a guild misson (or whatever is in PSU) that is the old Forest or something... like a blast from the past... with DC graphics and all.

I don't think they will relate the main story to the online story though. I think it will just have a story through main missions while still having the same offline story enemies like the SEED.

.... but what do I know? It could be anything... i am just guessing.........

On 2006-03-08 17:20, SgtShligger wrote:
    That does sound cool. Is the story timeline before or after ep1+2? if it was it would be nice to see the old story. If not i wouldn't mind a guild misson (or whatever is in PSU) that is the old Forest or something... like a blast from the past... with DC graphics and all.

I don't think they will relate the main story to the online story though. I think it will just have a story through main missions while still having the same offline story enemies like the SEED.

.... but what do I know? It could be anything... i am just guessing.........
    i think its after the pioneer rico storie n psat ep4 to

All indications are that it takes place in a completely separate timeline/universe than either the original Phantasy Star series or Phantasy Star Online.

There's no evidence of Coral (the homeworld where the Pioneer Project was conceived), or Ragol. And the latter, as far as we know, was the only habitable planet in its solar system.

The original series took place in the Algol Solar System, however, the three (well, four) planets there are quite different in their nature and origin (although there are quite a few parallels).

PSU takes place in the Graal Solar System, composed of three planets, like Algol, but as I just said, they're different. We get the "planetary center" world and the desert world, but instead of an ice planet we have a natural haven. Also, Moatoob was once a green world that became desert after heavy mining on the surface, while Motavia from the original series was a desert world that was terraformed green and then eventually reverted back to desert.

Anyway, as to the nature of the online story, I imagine that, now, we'll see many side stories in the online mode. In short, the complete opposite of how Phantasy Star Online was set up, where you got much of the side story and other important but separate from the "main quest" (regarding Rico, Flowen, and the meteor) threads from the single player quests.

Well, Phantasy Star Online Episode III had its story primarily offline too, but that's the odd one out, heh.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-03-08 19:46 ]</font>
    Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

being that you can choose to play offline or online as soon as you get the game, offline can;t affect online.
    everyone would have to be playing the same thing at the same time for events to make sense....hmm unless certain missions corresponded to the offline game. meh, won't happen.
    it would be sweet though ":P

Down for the Getdown

I think you misunderstand me. I'm not saying that what you do offline will affect online personally. I'm saying that it would be cool if some of the online missions corresponded with the online ones. Like a mission where you might play right alongside Ethan or another member in the offline story. And later on down in the game's release, like say its been out for a few months or so, they make a patch that would like have some change on online that corresponded with offline, such as the whole city being destroyed thing.

Perhaps one day we may even recieve a new planet to explore, its highly possible to keep adding content to the game. Ive seen several shots of the Guardians base that looks as large as a Mall, so maybe new sectors or shops open up after you complete a task or somthing. (wishful thinking ^_^)

Down for the Getdown

Yah that'd be cool. Being able to shop in areas or go places in lobbies that lower levels can't. I dunno about another planet though, I doubt that happening. MAYBE if they do an update but this isn't really a full MMORPG in that they can just release expansion sets like WoW or FFXI.

I highly doubt that the online mode is going to have a truly "deep" storyline. Other than quests and stuff, it's not going to be anything radically different from PSO. Story mode is where all the storyline is going to be emphasized.

On 2006-03-09 15:49, Pseudo wrote:
    Perhaps one day we may even recieve a new planet to explore, its highly possible to keep adding content to the game. Ive seen several shots of the Guardians base that looks as large as a Mall, so maybe new sectors or shops open up after you complete a task or somthing. (wishful thinking ^_^)
    Phantasy Star Universe Episode I & II anyone?
    Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.