You can find the preliminary version of the compiled list at:

http://www.nevikdreams.com/PSO2/v02_23_01.htm

I still have a lot more ideas that I need to think out a little further. However so far I've gotten some really good feedback.

NEVI549 Level 41 RAcaseal (Yellowboze)

Krystalyn Level 5 HUnewearl (Oran)

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: ninvampire on 2001-02-23 13:58 ]</font>

How about finishing PSO's story? We still don't know :

1) If the Pioneer 2 will land on Ragol or move on.
    2) Where the Pioneer 1, stated as missing, is located.
    3) If Red Ring Rico is clearly dead or not.(Heh, if that was her body and not only her spirit that was spat out of DF, did she fall and break her neck afterwards?)
    4) Who the hell were those unregistered people in Pioneer 1!! (Captured Algolians?)
    5) Was it a coincidence that the Central Dome was planted right on top of a culmination of evil and hatred from an imprisoned spirtiual species? That, and a ship from another civiliztion? (Answer: No! But the game doesn't bother to say that directly.)
    6) If there well be any closure! .....Closure! Closure! Closure!

Whew....

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Skee on 2001-02-23 14:56 ]</font>

Ok well you might have said
    **POSSIBLE SPOILERS** heh.

I finished the game already but sheesh

Anyhow.. possible spoilers

1) If the Pioneer 2 will land on Ragol or move on.

Well IMO they'll clearly land. 30k people on a ship with limited resources, a sweet planet below, and your kickin hunter cleaned out the evil. My money is on the landing.

2) Where the Pioneer 1, stated as missing, is located.

Well maybe I'm incorrect but I always felt it landed (I didn't see 30k people running through the transports) once the planet was deemed 'ok', and was the framework for the colonization efforts (why toss the housing by leaving it in space). As such it gets blown up/subverted/abused a bit by monsters.

3) If Red Ring Rico is clearly dead or not.(Heh, if that was her body and not only her spirit that was spat out of DF, did she fall and break her neck afterwards?)

The bracelet spinning at the end was a somber and artsy way coupled with her last message suggested to me -
    she tried to fight it herself, she failed, she died, you succeeded where she failed, you've solved the mystery and end of story.

4) Who the hell were those unregistered people in Pioneer 1!! (Captured Algolians?)

Did you do all the quests?
    I have some theories but I'll wait on my thoughts of this till I finish 'em all 100%.

5) Was it a coincidence that the Central Dome was planted right on top of a culmination of evil and hatred from an imprisoned spirtiual species? That, and a ship from another civiliztion? (Answer: No! But the game doesn't bother to say that directly.)

I think some of the beauty was some of the inferences you draw (like right at first one might be - what's that red thing spinning at the end of the game..).

6) If there well be any closure! .....Closure! Closure! Closure!

Whew....

Heh, well did you see crouching tiger hidden dragon (did I get that right)? Not everything out of the east closes like everything out of the west..

not saying I disagree at all, just another take on it.. I'm still hoping some quests will shore up a couple of my remaining questions..

DCKaz
    Terra Prime 43 FOmarl

On 2001-02-23 13:57, ninvampire wrote:
    You can find the preliminary version of the compiled list at:

http://www.nevikdreams.com/PSO2/v02_23_01.htm

I still have a lot more ideas that I need to think out a little further. However so far I've gotten some really good feedback.

NEVI549 Level 41 RAcaseal (Yellowboze)

Krystalyn Level 5 HUnewearl (Oran)

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: ninvampire on 2001-02-23 13:58 ]</font>
    Here's my feedback for it:
    -------------------------

Larger online parties
    Allow more people to play at once.

-Not at the sacrifice of gameplay however. Remember modems are the rule, 8 players with all effects/wpns going + monsters.. it may just not be realistic. It would be nice.. even 5 or 6 (eqgroups being 6), but I wonder if 8 is realistic.

Character death
    All equipped items are dropped as a player?s corpse. The player?s corpse can only be looted by the player himself. If the player has to return to "town" for whatever reason upon his/her return to the corpse, looting would automatically re-equip all of his/her items. Meseta would still drop as there needs to be some penalty for dying. Impose XP losses for dying in the Hard and V-Hard difficulties.

-I really don't mind not having xp losses having played in EQ and even D2.. when lag kills it's bad enough getting a corpse (as it's likely you didn't chain cast pipes enough). I usually play with good players so I'm not too worried about losing my weapon, but I don't mind the corpse idea. Cash should certainly drop. On second thought it is a pretty good plan, because as it stands 'dying for TP' is a pretty cheap TP recycling with 2 caster types of any ability, and allows the hunters/rangers a bit more piece of mind. As long as the penalty isn't intense.

Allow players to communicate privately to each other within the online environment.
    - yes, whisper or /tell, be very nice within the same game and across ships/blocks if possible.. or atleast if you went to the same ship/block to 'meet' the player doing so from there.

Weapon proficiencies
    - not sure if this section agrees with me.
    Not a bad idea, but I'm *much* more concerned with balance then getting in a weapon path. One nice thing for hunters is the ability to switch to most any kind of weapon. I think in some form this could work, and even perhaps end up with some really nice RAcaseal hunters but in general hunter damage has been a bit over the top, and hybrids commanding as is from a hardcore standpoint. What I would suggest is leave this idea to the androids, which would help balance the rather serious hit of no Techniques.

New: Technique Proficiencies
    Much like the above, only available to Forces. Regularly used spells will grow in area/damage.
    Where the hybrids still will be quite competent in both fields, this allows the android and force later on to avoid class envy at the maxxed hybrids enjoying the best of both worlds at their leisure.

Allow players to select their character?s appearance, regardless of class.
    - it is more useful to have 'some' idea of a class based on appearance. Since as you equip armor it doesn't show, I think more wide of a range would be nice, but I'm not sure there should be universal crossover either.

Player allotted stats
    Allow players to distribute their character?s stat points upon leveling up. Unused points would accumulate to be distributed at the player?s discretion. Leveling up would always give a player a certain amount of points to distribute.
    - If you allow this IMO you have to control it. Otherwise it's like the original Diablo.. go with some particular benefits from the beginning and turn them into anything you want (ie mage). Actually I think this is a bad idea in the end, you have the Mag and Units for this. There's enough Diablo/Diablo2 similiarity as it is.

Character appearance based on equipped items
    Allow various armors, shields, barriers, etc to change the character?s appearance.
    - Adds a ton of textures and work. Not sure how much you could get on one GDRom, and swapping might not be trivial..

With hard/soft locks, how do you propose to change the custom binds to come up and use the camera? Further cycling through all the binds on the right could be too slow.. though a choice to make I suppose. However keys would be getting rid of the keyboard from one spot and both spots if a keyboard is plugged in! Allow more use of the keyboard too, heck even the digital pad could be 8 *action* binds.

Weapon change bind
    -Why not Technique change bind as well.

8 button binds
    Move the chat button to being right shoulder button + start. This would free up 8 button binds.
    -Ok you had this, even if they don't move it though if keyboard is detected (or selected in options is available if they can't detect) simply let those 2 slots be used. I'm guessing most of us have a keyboard? (bad guess?)

Secure Trade
    -Definately, ideally even from lobbies (as items are on the person)

BATTLE SYSTEM:
    Nix the special attack
    Weapons will special attributes should automatically use those attributes any time they are used.
    -Yes!!

Melee combo length based on strength, weapon type, and proficiency
    -Ok, noting that I really feel proficiency should be android only (or they get some serious tweaks). Personally I really like the idea of android weapon proficiency, force technique proficiency, and hybrids continue to enjoy both worlds competently, but without proficiency options.
    -Some forms of Technique combos, potentially for even dazzling displays/results when interesting mixes used. Right now while using TP damage particularly vs bosses is much higher by other classes.. quicker chains/bigger results particularly vs single targets or chained areas would be nice. The current system where hybrid spells match force spells practically for damage while they can attack with devestating melee/range fire?

Ability to move while attacking (melee)
    It would be feasible with certain melee weapons to be able to attack while moving around. Attack animations would be altered or would be specific to being in motion. For example, while moving directly forward, an attack would result in a thrust.

-One could argue this for some spells as well, ideally new Techniques (like dropping a flaming wall behind you). Course there could be lag issues, but I'd like to see some new Technique developments more than the 3 main elements in the single/big/bigger line. Of course more bindings come first.. I have a high level Jellen but do I use it in practice? No.. no room.

-Attacking in general while in motion though is a balance issue, just like how people didn't get the walk/run thing.. it was on purpose people. Monsters moved at a certain speed, it's all about risk and reward. If you're moving while plugging away, and had run speed been immediate, monsters would have to be retailored to counter.

ITEMS: Something actually useful for a Force to wield

I think it's a good start, but to be honest it was rather weak in the android and force areas for balance. Where I think it is an interesting balance in the games beginning, I think there could be a fair bit of work done to show androids as the melee/ammunitions masters, and forces as the technique masters, while hybrids borrow from both.

All IMO of course,
    DCKaz
    Terra Prime FOmarl 43

Heh, probably should have mentioned the Spoilers. Sorry about that. Anyway, here I go again....and these have SPOILERS too.

The quests that I know of (that is, the ones that came with the game and not the downloadable ones), say nothing else about Rico's suggestion that there had been more people on Pioneer 1 than who were registered. Maybe it was just a supposition, then why write this into the already tiny story? (To drive me nuts, apparently)

As for Pioneer 1, the question is asked where the heck it is at the Principal's office. I thought it was broken down, too, to build the Central Dome. But the two ships were probably built large enough to have all the construction supplies one needed to start up a new and seperate capitol. (thus all the crates ) So, potentially, Pioneer 1 could have left the system Ragol's in for all we know (as opposed to guessing).

My real point is that I wish all this was clearly concluded in-game, as opposed to leaving it all out in the open. Everything is hinted, but nothing is clearly finished. Not even Rico's death....as people are still debating on that.

I think I need a little less Zen in my diet. Woo.

[addsig]

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Skee on 2001-02-23 16:08 ]</font>

I generally agree with most of the document. However, I do want to comment on a few things:

Impose XP losses for dying in the Hard and V-Hard difficulties.
    That right there would instantly drive away many EQ players. Players don't like to lose their hard-earned xp; nobody considers it fun.

Players would increase their character?s proficiency with a weapon merely by using the weapon.
    I've already stated that I think if the game is supposed to be real-time, player skill should be strongly emphasized over character stats and levels. I seem to be in the minority, however, so I don't expect this to change.

Soft and hard locks
    I'm curious about how this would work. When locked on to an enemy, would your character then be able to circle sideways around that enemy (as in Zelda 64)? I think that would be a great idea. It's much more useful to the player, it's more realistic, and it reduces missed attacks.

Have the right shoulder button toggle through the button binds. Instead of having 2 maps, have multiple maps that can be cycled through via the right shoulder button.
    I know how useful this sounds, but in practice, it defeats muscle memory and introduces mode errors. People will make lots of mistakes because they'll forget which panel they're on. The key rule is, the same button combination must always result in the same action; otherwise people will make mistakes.

Notice how people often fire off their mag's photon blast by accident? People know their mag is charged, but they aren't thinking about that. They're concentrating on the battle, thinking "RESTA NOW!", and they know that usually Resta is R->A. But ah! They forgot that the rules are different at this very moment, and suddenly their mag is going to town. This is the kind of thing that would happen a lot if the shortcuts were in a cycling menu.

How about this instead: Add another level to the button shortcuts. The player holds the right trigger, then presses two buttons in sequence. For example:

R->A->A = Monomate
    R->A->B = Monofluid
    R->A->X = Dimate
    R->A->Y = Difluid

This method offers 16 shortcuts in addition to the main 4. The d-pad could also be used, for even more shortcuts.

Anyone who has played Tribes is familiar with this type of interface. There were many preset chat sounds, such as "Cover me!" or "I have the flag, returning to base." To use any one of them, you pressed V to show the command list, another key to choose which "group" you wanted (general, team, repair, etc.), and finally, the key for the specific line you wanted spoken. It took a little while to learn, but once people knew where the commands were, it was much faster than typing, and they almost never chose the wrong sound.

If you allow more people to play at once then you will have more crashed and disconnects with a bunch of lag.

This is all really good feedback. I would like to point out that most of the ideas presented are in their infancy. Also, I'm trying to not apply my personal bias on other's ideas as I add them to the list.

I've also decided that once a week is not frequent enough to update the list for all to see and tear apart. I'm thinking tri-weekly: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

I will also include colors to signify new additions and refined (edits)

And finally ... since this is the very first release of the list, it is hardly conclusive. I have my own personal ideas on how to balance things that I haven't had the time to add just yet.

Once again, thank you everyone for contributing and your continued contributions to this idea.

How about the ability to buy more space at the check room. And also, it would be nice if they showed those healing rings and warps on the mini-map.

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Eugirdor on 2001-02-23 19:18 ]</font>