Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

No details of whether it will link to PC/PS2 yet.

http://www.gaming-age.com/news/2006/4/19-40

SEGA of America, Inc. and SEGA Europe Ltd. today announced that Phantasy Star Universe will be available on the Xbox 360. Scheduled for release in Fall 2006, the highly-anticipated role playing game (RPG) will release on multiple platforms including the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system and PC. Phantasy Star Universe offers two complete RPG experiences – a single-player action adventure spanning multiple planets, and a robust online multiplayer component that will support Xbox Live.

Since its humble beginnings in 1988, Phantasy Star has revolutionized the RPG genre by creating new standards through innovative gameplay and online capability. Phantasy Star Universe offers a compelling story, both offline and online, that rebuilds the foundation of role-playing games with stunning cut scenes, sharply drawn personalities, and a cohesive narrative. This game revitalizes the Phantasy Star brand heritage while staying true to its roots.

"The reinvigoration of this beloved franchise on the Xbox 360 signifies another step for SEGA towards next-gen leadership," said Scott A. Steinberg, Vice President of Entertainment Marketing, SEGA of America, Inc. "Phantasy Star has a rich history, and now with Phantasy Star Universe in support of the Xbox 360 and Xbox Live, gamers can enjoy a fantasy role-playing experience of unprecedented depth both online with their friends, and offline in the robust single-player game."

Developed by SEGA Studios, Phantasy Star Universe offers long-time fans the single-player experience they have been clamoring for. The solo adventure features more than 40 hours of gameplay, an emotionally engaging story, stunning cut scenes, and a strong cast of characters with very distinctive personalities. The title's hero is Ethan Waber, a 17-year old cadet who begins his epic journey by first rescuing his sister at the GUARDIANS, a colony under siege by mysterious life forms known as THE SEED.

In Online Mode, players are given the opportunity to create their own characters from a range of races, as they explore all three planets in the Gurhal system. Fans can travel with their friends as a squad of six adventurers, enter urban sprawls teeming with hundreds of other players, and build their avatars into powerful warriors.

Features:

Epic Story: Phantasy Star Universe offers a suspenseful single player adventure that fans have been clamoring for.
    Phantasy Star Brand Heritage: Since 1988, the franchise has evolved, and produced seven series to date – building itself as one of the most well established RPG franchises.
    Real-time battles where players choose their own strategies: Choose from over 200 weapon variations in over 20 weapon categories for melee, technique, or ranged-type combat. Players can also select numerous Photon Arts to defeat enemies.
    World Class Score: Soundtrack produced by premier orchestras and vocals from Poland, Hollywood, and New York.
    Online Gameplay: Offering the Best of Both Worlds
    Multiplayer: Create a squad of up to six players to explore the universe and conquer quests.
    Endless gameplay: In addition to over 40 hours of offline gameplay, gamers can spend endless hours online customizing characters, searching for rare items, leveling up, and joining friends for exhilarating new quests.
    Variety in transportation: Player-controlled vehicles offer a new type of gameplay for the Phantasy Star franchise.
    Character Customization: Go beyond standard customization for your character with precise measurements, an endless color palette, and outlandish outfits.
    Massive enemies: Over 20 unique enemy species, totaling over 200 enemy variations.

You beat me to it.

I was JUST about to post this news.

Here's another link:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/press_r....php?aid=16205

Guess I stand corrected.

Hopefully it will have been worth it. I wonder when they'll announce whether or not the servers will be linked.

Heh, if this is true, XB360 users can have their PUS fun too. Ah, this might be the reason for the delay?
    Blink & you might miss it! ;3

Oh, keep sig at 600x180 px & 49KB, yah?

Hmm. I thought that, if anything, it would be on the regular Xbox, as it's in the same generation as the PS2. I probably missed some technical infeastability for it, though.

Anyways, the more the merrier, I suppose. I don't have a PS2 or an Xbox 360, so this doesn't really affect me that much.

Trinity's War Survivor DamonKatu's Avatar

Wouldnt the xbox 360 version be a close connection though?? If it is, you wont meet up with other system users, right?
    "no matter the man, we all wear masks...either on our faces or over our hearts"
    -Godot.

Yeah, I think this is probably one the of the main reasons for the delay.

I wouldn't be surprised if a Revolution version is announced at E3 either, as a wifi launch title. Anyway it's good news for PSU, the bigger the community and the more attention it gets the better.

Hopefully all the servers will be linked, although this is something that is probably being tested at the moment.

psu is going to be a very popular game and i do hope that the servers will be connected. but we wont know till later we just have to wait and see. maybe they will give us an official release date now.

Trinity's War Survivor DamonKatu's Avatar

WOA! You came up fast!! 0.0

Yea, good view Nash. for instance, I can see PSOBB on DS sence you could use the touch screen to fire the tecks and the pause options can be on the bottom screen so you can still move and go into your items. But the problem would be the chat system sence the buttons are small and you have to do single finger on chat.

On the open system games tho I see that they would PVP wars between the other systems. Thats one fear that one Co. feared. But I don think thats possable. What about you guys?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DamonKatu on 2006-04-19 09:27 ]</font>
    "no matter the man, we all wear masks...either on our faces or over our hearts"
    -Godot.

You know, I think the servers will be connected to be honest. Reasons being, I think Sonic Team/SEGA saw how badly PSO did on XBox, and hopefully, they won't let it happen again. I know Microsoft was very strict about it at that time as well..

However, FFXI Online is also going to XBox 360, and like PSU, it's also on PC and PS2. I believe the 360 version of FFXI connects to the existing FFXI servers, so I can't imagine why they wouldn't allow this in PSU.

Regardless, this news in just incredible. I was about to build a new PC just to play PSU, but now that won't be necessary. I'm going to get myself an XBox 360 immediately, and switch my pre-order money over to the 360 version of PSU. Hopefully voice chat will be fully supported across all three versions.

And about PSU possibly being on Revolution.. although that would be cool, I think I'd still go with the XBox 360 version. Dunno why, but I feel as though it's going to be the best on that platform.