Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

PSU has potential but if ST wont even listen to its consumers concerns and ignore the success of previous elements of PSO.. then why should we be so eager to get PSU?
    Because it will be far far better than you give it credit for.

It's sickening how some people complain and act like Sega/ST has betrayed them when it's in fact the other way around.

There are so many flaws in people's rants that I don't know where to begin.

Ignoring all the good and the improvements PSU achieves, some are so UNGRATEFUL as to behave like spoiled brats that fail to see how much better the latest online Phantasy Star has become.

*even without challenge mode, or battle mode, there will still be plenty to do and discover and have fun.

*PS2 and PC are still linked. not with Japanese but as many examples in other games have shown, not many English speakers party with Japanese in online RPGs anyway; the ratio is too small to even consider it a bad thing that they are not connected. the online community will still grow and flourish.

*and some people are so upset that they say things that are not true:

"and the 'free roam' is reduced to lobbies?"

First of all, the lobbies have been expanded into cities.
    the lobbies in the past felt like prison blocks compared to what they have become now!! and that's not counting the brilliant My Room features and increase of shops features.

then there are those who complain Newmans have no special abilities. Rika and Nei didn't have 'special abilities' they were natural warriors. so I feel that's how Newmans should be, pure classic Newmans. Anything more 'special' about them would make them too alien to be Newmans.

there there is the updates/extra content release date differences between Japan and USA. It doesnt matter if Japan gets content 3 months before we do. our servers are not linked anyways. the new content when it comes will be NEW to us anyways!!!

and then there are those who demand information like release dates and such. There is still plenty of time to release those things. People who push for this information are just too impatient to understand that Sega will release the release date and fee information when it's time, they always do before the game is released.

I could go on but this wave of negativity and 'disappointing' attitudes will not help the community and themselves at all.

If someone feels so let down by a game because of such ridiculous reasons, they are the only ones who will totally miss out on the real fun.

Their expectations are too ambitious and unfair that they could NEVER be satisfied with anything,
    and so, the ingrates pathetically lose in the end, NOT those who appreciate what they're given and enjoy PSU to its fullest.

Well I bought a Dremcast and the same day Sega announced they were getting out of the hardware business, then a month later PSO was released in the U.S. and I had to call Sega to get a new registry number. My feelings toward Sega is that I got PSO+ cheap and I have options that were provided me from dedicated PSO people, Sega is not dedicated PSO people and they will not be dedicated to PSU unless you are Japanese.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Drayma on 2006-05-18 08:54 ]</font>

Dedication or no hasent stopped the game from being fun, and having an active, thriving community for over 5 years. I played on PSOX, and we got it worse than anybody But you know what I still enjoyed the hell out of the game once I stopped caring what everyone else had, and just enjoyed what we got.

On 2006-05-18 08:53, Drayma wrote:
    Well I bought a Dremcast and the same day Sega announced they were getting out of the hardware business, then a month later PSO was released in the U.S. and I had to call Sega to get a new registry number. My feelings toward Sega is that I got PSO+ cheap and I have options that were provided me from dedicated PSO people, Sega is not dedicated PSO people and they will not be dedicated to PSU unless you are Japanese.
    <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Drayma on 2006-05-18 08:54 ]</font>
    well you sure had bad luck buying a Dreamcast at that time, and needing a new registry number. It wasn't like Sega wanted to leave the hardware business, you must consider what they went through.

dedication or not, the PSOs released were still enjoyed by many, for years even.

Some are so anxious for more items, more 'this and that' added to online, that players don't bother to realize they haven't done everything there is online has offer yet and they are whining about wanting more.

Besides they already confirmed holiday decorations and stuff like that. it may not sound like much updates, but it's much better than having no PSU.

Until people understand how lucky they are to experience these things, they will never value what they got.

I'm going to copy a snippet of my own post in another thread.

Features don't make the game, but certainly add to the experience.

Speaking of features, also keep in mind, when this game was developed, it had the Japanese player base in mind, noting that even for PSO, it's at least 30 times larger than the American player base. In a business sense it's better to actually cater to the audience that will recieve it best. Additionally, if there is high demand for certain features, I'm pretty sure ST would be smart enough to add it as long as it was reasonable. Is there something you wanted in game that you don't see now? You didn't have to wait for beta to start to suggest it and just just because its over doesn't mean you still can't request something; heck you can still do it right now. For those of you too lazy to look, the address is right here.

If you really want something in the game, NOW is the time to make your voice heard.

What it comes down to is if you like pso you will probably get psu. PSU will be better than pso in gameplay, graphics, and sofistication. I dont plan to much on great content updates due to the ps2's limited memory but I will still enjoy the game nontheless. Look at it like this, how simple was pso? It was a pretty straight forward game and repetitive. I still played it on all 3 consoles. Psu will be better and that is all that truely matters to me.

On 2006-05-18 08:43, Saner wrote:
    PSU has potential but if ST wont even listen to its consumers concerns and ignore the success of previous elements of PSO.. then why should we be so eager to get PSU?
    At least put list my name when you're quoting me, thanks.

Because it will be far far better than you give it credit for.

Did you play beta? Maybe your assumptions would be more realstic if you actually played the game.

It's sickening how some people complain and act like Sega/ST has betrayed them when it's in fact the other way around.

There are so many flaws in people's rants that I don't know where to begin.

Actually, its a big betrayl and its been happening since pso:bb. One of PSO's big selling points was its international play, people liked that and other mmos begin to adopt it *note ffxi*. With PSU they decided to remove this, and for what reason? Because we're not good enough to play with them? We hack too much? Don't give me that technological-defeciet bullcrap either..because FFXI has managed to link all its regions with all 3 consoles (ps2 xbox and 360). Now if PSU just did this and had a multitude of servers that you could switch between...

Ignoring all the good and the improvements PSU achieves, some are so UNGRATEFUL as to behave like spoiled brats that fail to see how much better the latest online Phantasy Star has become.

Yes, there were a few improvements (there should of been.. this games been in development for how long) but those improvements just dont stack up to all the steps taken backwards with PSU. Granted it was BETA and no all the content was in, the game still wasnt far from a UI and Graphics updated PSO with more class restrictions and far less uniquness.

*even without challenge mode, or battle mode, there will still be plenty to do and discover and have fun.

Sure tere will be content with missions, but that does get boring after a while you know. What angers me the most is the blatant obviousness that they didn't even -think- of puttin in these modes. PSO was upgraded to -include- these modes, why would you leave them out? Simple, because they didnt put much thought into the online mode.. which is a damn shame

*PS2 and PC are still linked. not with Japanese but as many examples in other games have shown, not many English speakers party with Japanese in online RPGs anyway; the ratio is too small to even consider it a bad thing that they are not connected. the online community will still grow and flourish.

Most of the PS2 population will be in Japan, the majority of the US servers will be PC gamers... and even then there many people in the states that just flat out dont know about the game. I've been to many mmo forums and I used to preach about how PSU would be such a cool game and all the features... yet people still went to games like WoW Vanguard and other US borne mmos. US gamers these days are just not interested in foreign mmos anymore, they rarely ever were in the first place. I dont expect the population to reach over 10k users for a long long time... but you can keep believing they'll flourish if you want. Also, now US players are at the mercy of SoA.. who didn't know much/care much about PSU in the first place.. which leads to even worse customer support.

*and some people are so upset that they say things that are not true:

"and the 'free roam' is reduced to lobbies?"

First of all, the lobbies have been expanded into cities.
    the lobbies in the past felt like prison blocks compared to what they have become now!! and that's not counting the brilliant My Room features and increase of shops features.

That doesn't change the fact that the free roam is -still- reduced to lobbies, and (at least the way beta went) we ended up giving alot of dungeon/level length with it. The missions were shorter then the dungeon runs in PSU, but to be fair it was beta and all the missions werent in (at least I think they werent, who knows with SEGA). Also, you overestimate the sizes.. the GC is the only massively big lobby.. Parum and Neudiaz are roughly the same size as a PSO lobby.. 2 at most for Neudiaz but Parums areas are small. The size doesnt matter anyway, you still dont have the freedom to roam on the planets surface... which was shown in much detail in the WorldOf offline gameplay video. Another point that they put more thought into offline then online.

then there are those who complain Newmans have no special abilities. Rika and Nei didn't have 'special abilities' they were natural warriors. so I feel that's how Newmans should be, pure classic Newmans. Anything more 'special' about them would make them too alien to be Newmans.

Rika and Nei also had magic at their disposal, and were far stronger then Newmans are in PSU. I argued for a speical ability because Newmans couldnt use magic while being hunters, or melee skills past 1 while being FO. Neither will be happening though, so you can be happy with our below-average magicless melee Newmans who are outclassed in every aspect by cast beast and humans except EVA and TAP (whoopee), when they used to be experts at closs range melee and magic.

there there is the updates/extra content release date differences between Japan and USA. It doesnt matter if Japan gets content 3 months before we do. our servers are not linked anyways. the new content when it comes will be NEW to us anyways!!!

It wont be new to us because importers and others will already talking about it here... and we'll hear news of JP's being updated. Besides its the principal of the thing. If USA comes out 3 months later then JP why should -every- single update be delayed 3 months? That just bad support right there.. I can understand huge content updates but little things like bug fixes and quests? FFXI manages to update content for everyone at once... so your technological-defeciet argument wont work their either.

and then there are those who demand information like release dates and such. There is still plenty of time to release those things. People who push for this information are just too impatient to understand that Sega will release the release date and fee information when it's time, they always do before the game is released.

We demand release dates because not only is sega being vague about them but they're also being vague behind the reasoning of the delays. They should of just left it TBA 2006 untill they got their shit together, instead of giving us 3 different dates before pushing it to Fall 06. Again, unprofessionalism is blatantly obvious with ST.

I could go on but this wave of negativity and 'disappointing' attitudes will not help the community and themselves at all.

If someone feels so let down by a game because of such ridiculous reasons, they are the only ones who will totally miss out on the real fun.

Their expectations are too ambitious and unfair that they could NEVER be satisfied with anything,
    and so, the ingrates pathetically lose in the end, NOT those who appreciate what they're given and enjoy PSU to its fullest.

Look, I want PSU to be the next kickass and best MMO out there like the next guy.. hell I even signed up to play the beta in a language I understood little of. I enjoyed the beta along with other people I imagine, but I dont think I speak alone when there was a feeling that there was room for improvement. The loss of uniquness in PSO for the sake of -balance- was a bad move.. its impossible to truly balance a game unless you give every job/race/gender type the exact same stats. We may be able to look unique on the outside with clothes and accessories, but our abilites and spells stack up to be the same with the only difference being in stats and special abilites (which are beast and cast only). The loss of linked regional servers leading to a smaller community, and the absense of planet side free roam (as showin in the world of videos) along with vehicles in the online mode leaves me asking "why?". Sure PSU gave us crafting weapon skills (PA's) and a new race, but at what price? Loss of uniquness, no battle mode or challenge mode, no regional linking and smaller levels. I wanted PSU to be innovative, the next big thing..but right now its nothing more then a rehash of components strucken with limitations... It just seems ST was lazy with PSU online and thats why I'm (or we're) angry. PSU should of been PSV, Ill be waiting for my -true- sequel to PSO..unless PSU shapes up.

Shojin
    EDIT: I tried suggesting my ideas on the BBS and some of my questsions were asked in the interview already..they not only didnt have plans to put Battle Mode/Challenge Mode/Uniqeness or Hybriding classes etc in, but it appeareed they didnt even put any thought into the matter. Yes PSO was a great game, and thats why I wanted PSU to be alot like PSO.. much of the fun PSO came out of how every race/class combination was different and had something to bring to the table (even though Human Males got pretty screwed over).. I wanted PSU to have this uniquness with all the race/class combinations but instead they just made this class change system in which all the classes are the same...we lost the uniquness that was there in PSO.. they ported the battle system and lobby system, but everything else is different..and much of it (in my opinion) is a step backwards.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: oShojino on 2006-05-18 10:06 ]</font>

There are alot of areas not open in the lobbys. You just seem to be negative for the sake. Is the game here yet? NO. Just let it be released. Sheesh

Actually there aren't Wavey, the lobbies were all fully opened before Beta went down. Also the other "Free Roam" areas he mentioned are most likely the rest stops between mission points..which are even smaller. It was only Beta yes, but I'm telling you right now that there aren't that many open areas. Still its an improvement over PSO, Ill give them that.

Celestial Knight of Azure Flames zandra117's Avatar
    My soul is in Gurhal while my heart is on Ragol

The closed beta is not the full game, you only had access to one town on each planet and roughly 2 areas on each planet. I know there will be way more areas than that in the full game. We know for a fact that each planet has more than one town on it based on the psu website.

the towns that we know about that were never seen in beta are; Talcus City on Parum, and Dagora City on moatoob.

also in the discription of moatoob it says "Several medium-sized cities are spread throughout Moatoob. The largest of these cities is called Dagora City." that hints at more cities on moatoob.

also in the discription of the GC it says "Clyez City is the city at the heart of the Guardians Colony which serves as the headquarters for the Guardians. Several other similar types of cities exist about the Colony." which also hints at more cities.

Remember, the only reason for a closed beta is to test basic mechanics of the game and to stress test the servers. It is nearly impossible to tell what the actual game will be like based on the closed beta.
    "Thol-Falz, tes par rel diemed. Tes syr, weh yi ryukad te reli, rel ken rel obid." Dark Force, your shrine is finished. Your sword, who you returned to reality, is able to be wielded.