Veteran Fighter

Now, I know a lot of you hard core PS phans out there have been spending your hard earned cash seeking out the original games... And some of you kids are wondering what all us idiots are bantering on about. Now you've got your chance to relive those past nights of fun with Nei, see Lutz's smiling face again or just find out what the @#!$ us owners of the old consoles have been talking about.

I understand, and if I hadn't traded my genesis to some weasely little kid in high school (long story) I'd be doing the same thing right about now. I'd be hittting up every Funcoland and Game Zone in a 50 mile radius, scouring e-bay, and searching the streets in hope that someone had dropped a spare cartridge.

But, much to my delight, there is a better way.

And it's free. Yes, you cheap #@$!#%&! heard that right. Free.

It's called Emulation. Some of you may recognize the term... for those of you that don't, let me elaborate on the concept: Bleem. The program tht allows you to play playstation games on your computer. It's the same deal, pretty much.

Seeing as a Genesis is a lot less complicated, things work a bit differently, and the files are of a much more manageable size.

How it works:

Searh for "emulation ROMs" in any web search. You'll probably get a million hits or so. some of these will be actual emulation sites! (don't you love it when you actually find what you searched for?)

Next, download an emulation program. (I use Genecyst. Sick name, good prog.)

Then search for all the phantasy star ROMs, load them up, and you're set.

Each emulator will have it's own instructions, but they're usually pretty simple, and they all come with a README.TXT file or something of the like.

Now, for a not-so-breif disclaimer:

As the owner of all the original carts, this is not illegal for me to do. I can hold and maintain backup files of the games as I see fit. (carts do eventually wear out, you know--those contact pins don't last forever) However, if you did not own the original game, it is illegal to maintain a ROM file on your computer for over 24 hours. True, I doubt anyone will be busting into your house with a search warrant, and it's along the lines of taping a 15 year old song off the radio, but I figured I'd put that up so no one feels the need to sue me. Each site should have a disclaimer along these lines... probably a bit more in depth, but seeing as I'm merely pointing the way, and not actually offering you these files, (please don't ask me for them... I just can't do it for everyone on my 56k modem) I figure you'll run into the proper legal bullshit eventually.

If anyone out there has some good emulation site, feel free to post them on this thread for the rest. I personally don't endorse anyone's site, (I usually find a different one every time) so I won't be posting any.

I myself have had emulated phantasy star games, and they even had translated versions of the final fantasies that didn't come out over here I don't see why a genesis emulator would be illegal this far down the line anyway. genecyst is a good one tho i have heard so PSO n00bies, here is your chance to see what me and the others are talking about! do yourself a favor and play PS 1-4 this year

d to the ios p to the adre

i dont understand how anyone who has ever touched a computer could not know about emulation

Don't forget the "game gear" Phantasy Star games that never officially made it to English. Note that you cannot use Genecyst for game gear games, however. And the 8 bit graphics may make some of the younger folks shy away from it. Phantasy Star IV is probably the most graphically appealing and the best of the bunch of old Phantasy Star games.

The Phantasy Star Gaiden rom was fully translated by fans into English from Japanese and there is a patch available if you search hard enough. And although Phantasy Star Adventure is far from complete, the person who was working on it may resume translation eventually especially if he gets enough language support from good Japanese-English translators who know the game well enough. However, if you know Japanese you can trying playing it in it's raw and probably more accurate form.

Veteran Fighter

just another post to get it to the top of thew list instead of three pages back. I wanted to make sure everyone got a chance to check this out.

And, yes, Vanse, altho the emulator is not illegal, holding ROMs for games ya don't own is.

Again, not that I think the "Game Nazis" are gonna come bust up your house or anything.

Rappy Hunter
    Philly, PA, USA, North America, Northern Hemisphere, Earth

I've had just about every emulator out there, and none of them seem to work well. They have this nasty habit of crashing my computer to the point that I can't turn it off unless I turn off the surge protector. Gets annoying, especially when you're trying to play Phantasy Star 2. Oh well, my carts should be arriving soon.