Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Alright, I watched Advent Children at my friend's house yesterday, and I'm not going to lie. I was confused. I never played Final Fantasy VII, which I suppose would have been quite benificial towards understanding the whole idea behind Sephiroth, etc. I'm sure some of you are FF junkies, and I need a fairly detailed explanation on the story from the game and how it correlates to the movie.

Yes, I'm lazy. Now be a good samaritan and help me out .

In all honesty, I am actually interested in the story, and I'm quite sure the movie would be better if I knew the basics.

If I had a nickel every time someone linked Wiki .

I can explain it to you. On a side note, on the first disk of the Advent Children DVD, there's a feature called "Reminiscence of Final Fantasy VII", which summarizes the major plot points for you. You should check that out sometime.

Many years before the actual plot of FFVII, Shinra found a strange creature inside the Northern Crater. At first, they believe it to be the last of the Cetra (also known as the Ancients). Hojo and pals begin experimenting on said creature, and eventually they realize it's something...different. It's Jenova, the Calamity from the sky!

Hojo begins screwing around with the Jenova cells, injecting them into random people, and noting the effects. He injected some into a pregnant woman, Lucrecia (who also happens to be Vincent's lover), who proceeds to give birth to Sephiroth. Sephiroth eventually joins SOLDIER and quickly becomes one of the highest ranked dudes.

SOLDIER is Shin-ra's special police force. They are trained in various forms of combat, and all get to soak in Mako energy for a while, which only increases their special abilities (like Cloud being able to heft that massive sword of his), as well as giving them distinctly bright eyes.

A while before Final Fantasy VII begins, Sephiroth, Cloud, and Zack go on a mission to inspect some malfunctioning Mako reactors near Nibelheim, Cloud's home town. While there, they find a variety of pods filled with people freakishly mutated by overexposure to Mako. He also finds a tube containing a disturbing, woman-like creature labeled JENOVA. He's rather unnerved by the fact this creature bears the same name as his mother, so he goes to the mansion library and spends hours reading about it. When he discovers the truth, he basically goes insane.

He then burns Nibelheim to the ground, which kills almost everyone there. Anyone who attempted to escape was likely murdered personally by Sephiroth. He made his way back to the reactor, where he attempted to kidnap his "mother." Zack tries to stop him, but is killed. Tifa attempts to do something, but is mortally wounded. Cloud, amazingly, manages to defeat Sephiroth and save Tifa.

Sephiroth, in the canon of the actual game, wants to basically merge with the planet's Lifestream, so that he can become a god. He plans to do so by summoning up the ultimate dark magic, Meteor, which would strike a fatal wound to the planet. As the streams of energy rush to the wound, Sephiroth would stand there and absorb the energies, transforming him into something more than human.

That's basic Sephiroth. For more info, do check out that Wikipedia article. My hands are getting kinda cramped!

Honestly, it's worth every second of your time and every penny to play that game. Do yourself a favour and play the game instead of settling for a very brief and emotionally lacking explanation to the storyline. It's available on PC as well so track down a copy by whatever means necessary (yes there are illegal sources, plenty of them as well).

Wasn't Lucrecia also with Hojo? That's why Vincent was all mad and stuff, cuz Lucrecia and Hojo were both lab partners and something; and she ends up being with Hojo. >_> That's what i gathered from it anyway. And yes i've played/done everything in that game, so i didn't miss anything.

The Master of Mispeled Words Moo2u's Avatar

Wow, I wouldn't try to dare watch Advent Children if I didn't understand the game's plot. FF plots man...damn confusing....but still! How about some of those sweet fights, eh?

On the DVD there is a special feature called FFVII Reminicence...

...You're Welcome.

Slave to all things sugary Nixia's Avatar

In all honesty, I thought the movie sucked, plot-wise. Sure it had kickass graphics, awesome fight scenes, and nice character designs but the plot--if one could call it that--was seriously lacking. >.>

On topic: I'm just gonna jump on the "play the game" bandwaggon; you'll thank yourself, later.

*Snaps fingers*

(SPOILER ALERT)

The Shinra is a multi-resource conglomerate that has complete monopoly over one of the world's largest cities. It is pratically the biggest company in the world - They even have their own military force.

Of all the Shinra's military units, the strongest and high-ranking ones are known as SOLDIER. Badass dudes that undergo genetic manipulation to become stronger. They're among the strongest living beings in the world.

Hojo, one of Shinra's top R&D scientists, discovered a mysterious creature inside a crater - Jenova:

According to the legends written by the Cetra (Also known as "The Ancients", a group of people who lived in the world long ago, nearly extinct today), in the distant past, Jenova is said to have come from the sky, and crashed into Earth, damaging it seriously. Having landed on Earth, Jenova, being the monster it is, did no less than attempt to destroy the world. Hojo discovered how great this creature's blood is, and made some experiments. He impregnated a woman called Lucrecia to create the ultimate SOLDIER - Sephiroth:

The experiment was a sucess. Sephiroth grew to be incredibly strong, and was quickly Shinra's most powerful military weapon. So strong, that nothing stopped him from becoming the world's greatest legend. But Sephiroth didn't know about his origins.

I'll gladly post the rest when I have more time.

(OMG! I have a nerd within.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Daikarin on 2006-07-23 20:37 ]</font>