Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hidden power with Emerald Star DraginHikari's Avatar

On 2006-08-02 18:41, TonyDaemon wrote:
    On 2006-08-02 14:13, OnnaWren wrote:
    Yes, well, you know that can't possibly be the case, what with everyone wanting to be named Sephiroth or SSJGoku or Naruto (gack, ad nauseum)... >_<;
    Hopefully we won't see too much of that, but I highly doubt that.
    If we're lucky we might get none at all, but only if we're lucky.
    Hehe as long as there is internet you will have n00bs and n00b names to go along with it

I seem to remember in another old thread that this was discussed and it was confirmed by someone in the beta that you could have repeats. In any case it was decided that it was highly likely if anything else.

That said, I wish they weren't allowed. Having everyone have a unique name fosters creativity in name design, instead of everyone bein varients of other characters from other games and media.

Amen to that shiv I don't want to be in the lobby and see at least 5 people with the name "Cloud" or "Sephiroth" like I did on PSO

Interestingly enough, some people don't like thinking up interesting/unique names. Personally, I like to think up characters, give them back stories, the whole bit. I think that's the fun of creating a character. I played Phantasy Star Offline on GC with a few friends though and what names did they use for their character's? Their own names.

On 2006-08-03 09:24, PrinceRhys wrote:
    Interestingly enough, some people don't like thinking up interesting/unique names. Personally, I like to think up characters, give them back stories, the whole bit. I think that's the fun of creating a character. I played Phantasy Star Offline on GC with a few friends though and what names did they use for their character's? Their own names.
    Some people like to RP. Hell even I'll act the part just cause it's fun. How many RPGs do you really get to play where you can actually RP?

Things like this make it fun and funny. My friend in FFXI was a lazy blm and said he was like that due to a tragedy that happened to his father. He was in the great war and ran out of MP at the wrong place at the wrong time. Reason for MP outage? Reheating a sandwich.

On 2006-08-03 03:35, Shivore wrote:

That said, I wish they weren't allowed. Having everyone have a unique name fosters creativity in name design, instead of everyone bein varients of other characters from other games and media.
    Again... people are not limited to specific servers with smaller populations in PSU. If names were unique in PSU, you'd be competing with every single person who plays PSU. That'd be extremely impractical.

And in any case, forcing unique names does not at all foster creativity. It mostly just leads to stupid names everywhere. We'd get things like "Ipwnnoobs" and "Chibilegolas212989." I much prefer variants of names from other games to that sort of thing.

Just log onto a heavily populated WoW server and take a look at all the "creative" names.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-08-03 11:03 ]</font>

The file name for your character save will most likely be a mix of jarbled numbers (ex. 10598326.bin) or something like that. Your character name would just be some data within the file, and wouldn't dictate the actual filename itself. So I'm pretty sure you could name your character whatever you want.

If they do make you pick a unique name, that would suck. I swear, if someone stole the name Saxon I would scream!

I got lucky in FFXI getting Panda on 2 different servers. I was like O_O wow I got that?

WoW was another story ; ;

How would you feel if PSU was server designated? Say like each server is allowed 5000 people at any time but you can't server travel. I think you would actually be able to get more reputation and in touch with the players there.

On 2006-08-03 11:37, PandaMasterX4 wrote:

How would you feel if PSU was server designated? Say like each server is allowed 5000 people at any time but you can't server travel. I think you would actually be able to get more reputation and in touch with the players there.
    I'd feel is was poor decision. Having designated servers with no movement works fine for MMOs with a persistent world, but I don't feel it would work with a game like PSU.

And in any case, the more people you have the potential to interact with, the better. People inevitably end up forming their own small circle of friends anyway, so there's no need to limit them to only interacting with a set number of people. And who would prefer being limited, anyway? I'd rather have the chance to meet new people every time I play.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-08-03 12:36 ]</font>

no this game needs the option to jump between servers.

if a server is messed up and can't find party members or having relations with people in a server, jumping to another server would save many people's time and sanity.

as for name reservations,I heard there are no name reservations.

so people can use the same exact name I think, which is fine.