Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

So ever since I decided to get the PC version of PSU I have been contemplating over whether or not to use a gamepad for play. Having never used one for a pc game I'm at a loss. I'm one who believes Phantasy Star is best played on a console, but ever since reading the news about the 360 version and it not being connected to the PS2 and PC user base I made up my mind. So basically what I'm asking is do you think I should use a gamepad to play PSU on the PC or should I just stick to using the keyes? By using a gamepad will the controls be awkward and clunky or will they be fine?

Microsoft annoucned they would be coming out with a wirless 360 controller for use on the PC. Does that mean I'll be able to play with PS2 users on my PC yet have high-res and console controls at the same time?

I personally will be playing PSU on my PC with an XBox 360 controller because it seems more natural. Others may prefer the mouse/keyboard option and adapt to playing the game that way. Ultimately it depends on what you feel the most comfortable with. And yes, you will be able to play with PS2 users on your PC and still have higher-res and console controls. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how well the gamepad works with PSU

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VioletSkye on 2006-08-27 21:26 ]</font>

Like you I also prefer console controls when it comes to PSO/PSU. I just wasn't sure if gamepads had the same feel and control like the console versions do. But from what you say the gamepads controls should be just fine. I'll take your word on that.

using a gamepad on pc is the same, if not better than on an actual console. you have more options open to you for how you set up your controls. i doubt psu on ps2 will let you change your control setup at all.
    Quit PSO2

An Xbox 360 pad will be perfect, I'm sure. It's got that Dreamcast-type layout with the analog stick up in the left, and the four face button setup.

Just don't get the PC version, get the regular Xbox 360 controller. It's $10 cheaper, and all you need to do to get it to work is download the drivers.

I currently use an Xbox controller to play PSO Blue Burst on my PC. Using the keyboard is just awful. So yeah, I highly recommend getting a controller!

Although PSU will need more buttons, so I'll probably get a USB wired 360 controller because you don't need an adaptor for those.

How well does this game control with just the mouse and keyboard? I'm curious.

Paragon of Fortefighter Excellence!
    Leader of the Guardians Mobile Defense Force Guild-PC/PS2
    PS2/PC PSU:Krupp 170 FF/PT/FIG Zanki 137 FG/GM-Since Day 1!
    PSP2 Krupp 126 Hunter 30 PS3 Ad-hoc party and Internet Multimode (Mail me if you wanna play!)
    Waiting anxiously for PSO2..

Go Xbox 360 pad! I got one and it works wonders for any of my games (that accept controllers.)

And the fact that PSU is on 360 and is nearly identical to a PS2 controller (button layout wise.)

PSU:)

A good alternative to the Xbox360 would be
    http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/p990.htm

It is cheaper and have the first 6 buttions right where the Mega Drive used to have them
    I used the RumblePad version for half a year now and had no problems.

Only thing I miss would be a Turbo buttion, witch would be perfect for a game like this, but looks like there are no PC gamepads I like who have that.

I used a 360 pad on PSOBB and i got this program which is fucking amazing. it lets you replace ANY command with a button or stick, so any game that you couldnt use the joypad on you just bind the buttons to what the keys are on the kb and set one stick as mouse and your rocking.

Theres a 30 day free trial at :

http://www.pinnaclegameprofiler.com/

Its genius. give it a try on a first person shooter, it also comes with default layouts for almost every game and supports updates off the net, give it a go if you like it, buy it.

definately worth it if you own any dual analogue joypad and cant be bothered playing with the mouse and keyboard layout.

I use it on elder scrolls 4 : oblivion

Edit : I forgot to mention, that software enables the ring lights in the middle of your pad you know the ones for players 1 - 4.... LOL!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fleece on 2006-08-28 10:09 ]</font>