Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Raziel, Keeper of Secrets DarkShadowX's Avatar

Its better that the problems are showing up now, rather than in a couple months from now where it'll be a huge pain in the ass to get rid of, especially if done by rollbacking the servers, probably causing everyone to lose their well-trained characters.
    PSO Veteran from DC Day 1. Better known as Outtrigger (DC) and Karsh (GC).
    PSU Veteran from Day 1. R.I.P. PSU, I thank you for all the memories!

This isn't something only Sonic Team deals with. ALL large-scale online games have problems on top of problems when they're first released, no matter how much beta testing is done. If this glitch that is being solved by a small rollback is the biggest problem PSU experiences with its launch, then it'll be, by far, the most bug- and glitch-free MMO launch ever.

Sega is tackling the problem timely and responsibly, and that is what's important. Total prevention is impossible.

And there were no reports of large-scale (or even small-scale) duping. Sega just said there was the potential to exploit this glitch for that purpose. They're rolling the servers back, and addressing the problem. What else do you want?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-09-02 14:49 ]</font>

On 2006-09-02 14:30, peenk wrote:
    On 2006-09-02 14:26, ANIMEniac wrote:
    On 2006-09-02 10:44, Kurosawa wrote:
    One day and there's duping. ONE DAY! Of course they're doing the right thing by nipping it in the bud, but they will probably figure out another method after people get their characters developed enough to the point that they're not willing to lose them.

This is CLASSIC Sonic Team. That's just beyond a joke. One day.
    it would be one thing if it was a dupe trick that was unsolved... like pso. duping is not ST's fault at first untill they dont do anything about it. at first ST did something about the shop dupe trick, though it took them about 4 months. then the checkroom thing neve... nm, the important thing is that ST is actualy treating psu like an online rpg ^_^
    Although its only been 2 days and you cant really say whether ST doing a good or bad job, judging from past experiences, problems are just begining show up.
    So what you're saying is this: Sonic Team missed a serious issue that could not have possibly been detected without purposely attempting to flood the servers with more people than they were ever intended to support. They fixed the problem. Therefore, this is a bad sign... how? (And don't give me any "They should have held an open beta!" nonsense. Nine times out of ten, the only reason anyone ever wants this is to play the game before other people and brag about it afterwards. If they wanted to, they would have held an open beta.)

At any rate, the problem is now, apparently, fixed, with fairly minimal loss of data. Sure, it occured on the first day, but they also fixed it on the first day. Better than waiting for months to do anything about it, then forcing everyone to start over from level one.

Personally, I'm glad that Sega/Sonic Team are keeping on the ball. I for one, am glad they're taking this head on, before others set to exploit it.
    I'm still around.

Before any hacking or exploiting occurs ST and SEGA need to fix the coding so it actually works without any outside interfereance. Sinue gave you a pretty good explanation of what happens without going into too much detail, lets just sit back and see what happens. The chances are for all your PSU JP importers that your 30 day trial will be extended depending on the length of the server downtime and the magnitude of the problems ST find.

It is afterall only a game and all games have teething problems, the only thing is online games need players to find these rather than paid testers.

Very quick & rough translation of the update:

Due to a problem on release day, all hands have been working on fix but have been unable to do so thus far. Service will be restored as follows:

-Service back up on the evening of 09.06 (Wednesday -- Japan time)
    -Service during the month of September will be on a trial basis
    -Service starting in October will be official (free trial periods will start then)

They're expecting the servers to get hammered, so admit there might be more problems. They also say there MIGHT be more rollbacks during the "trial" period of September.

Etc etc. There's more, but that's the main gist.

Welcome to pre-2003 Ragnarok Online, folks. Sega has been bought out by Gravity. Merry christmas.

Lagging and rollbacks and bots, oh my!

LAGGING AND ROLLBACKS AND BOTS, OH MY!!!!!!

OK, so maybe not that bad, but I am too cynical for my own good.
    Zeota - Ship 2 (JP)
    http://twitch.tv/zeomantic