Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

i recently dled the first PS game and was playing it on a sega genesis emulator.....and realized that sega is still using some of the same stuff from the very first game. for example....in the first PS, there are three main planets (i forget their names), one is of green, another is of ice, and the other of sand and desert.....doesnt tht kinda remind you of parum (green), neudaiz (ice) and moatoob? (desert) also another thing i noticed....for anyone tht played PSO, remember the mission where your client wanted you to find them something sweet? so you had to go down to Caves 3, and pick up a cake for her, then give it to her....well, oddly enough, theres a shortcake shop located deep inside a dungeon in the first PS. i just thought it was cool how they take stuff from their older games, and apply it to the newer ones.
    ColdWaffles- lvl 93 newman FT :3
    The Highlander- lvl 13 beast H

Theres a lot of throwbacks in Phantasy Star, but then again, there tend to be in a lot of Japanese RPGs. I remember a while ago seeing a big list of shared connections, but I can't remember the link for it.

But yeh, perhaps it'll give an excuse to newer players to go back and play the older games. They're classic and still great games today.

Yes, in the first Phantasy Star series, the three planets were Parma, Dezolis and Motavia. In fact, there was three planets mentioned loosely in PSO... the seal MOOT DITTS POMME (or something like that ). Parma was also home to humans/casts, Dezolis to the green-skinned, religious and insular Dezolians, and Motavia to the blue haired bird-like, industrial Beast people (as potrayed fully in PS IV). So for old school fans there is a lot that is intact. Even in story mode, captain Tyler and the Landeel are from previous PS games too! The Crea weapons could almost be compared to the "Nei" weapons, too.

I also keep the spirit of the previous games alive by naming my PMs after PSIV special moves. My GH-450 fire user is Flaeli (fire magic of Rune), another armor PM is Tandle (for her shock guns), and a ranged one I'm working on is Hijammer (Wren's move to disable fellow bots).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PaladinRPG on 2006-11-24 12:31 ]</font>

yea, it also seems like games from the 80sish or early 90s are SO MUCH HARDER than todays games. probably because back then, there were tons of puzzles to solve in video games. i.e. the billion dungeons in PS. so much advil.......so many headaches......ow

Next, go through all the Star Wars correlations with Phantasy Star, especially that first one. From the 3 planets to Jawas. The main reason I loved PS as a kid.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Maskim on 2006-11-24 12:31 ]</font>
    Always outnumbered... Never out-gunned.

On 2006-11-24 12:29, Maskim wrote:
    Next, go through all the Star Wars correlations with Phantasy Star, especially that first one. From the 3 planets to Jawas. The main reason I loved PS as a kid.
    Yep. I think in the first game there was even an enemy that looked like a Jawa! Motavians were like blue furred versions of them...

Let's also not forget that by looking at my sig, you can see that even SEED is not original. The name was not only Rika's creator computer in the Valley of Life, but also links up with Dark Falz/Phallus the "seed" of evil planted in everyone.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PaladinRPG on 2006-11-24 12:35 ]</font>

On 2006-11-24 12:27, PaladinRPG wrote:
    Yes, in the first Phantasy Star series, the three planets were Parma, Dezolis and Motavia. In fact, there was three planets mentioned loosely in PSO... the seal MOOT DITTS POMME (or something like that ). Parma was also home to humans/casts, Dezolis to the green-skinned, religious and insular Dezolians, and Motavia to the blue haired bird-like, industrial Beast people (as potrayed fully in PS IV). So for old school fans there is a lot that is intact. Even in story mode, captain Tyler and the Landeel are from previous PS games too! The Crea weapons could almost be compared to the "Nei" weapons, too.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PaladinRPG on 2006-11-24 12:28 ]</font>
    wow! youve been doing your work! lol, the first PS game ive ever played was PSO on GC, and i started playing it about....5 years ago?? its still the best game ive ever played to this day, something is very special about that game to me. so since ive only played PSO,PSCR epi 3, and PSU, i wanted to play more and learn more about PS in general, so i dl the genesis emulator and im beating the games now one by one, so far tho, the first PS is extremely awesome (but hard though because of the countless number of dungeons) but, its SO much easier now thanks to Xaos127 for the guide. w/o it, id never finish it, thanks again

Good to see you're going back. I've been playing PS games since it was new on the Sega Master System in like '85. This is not "homework" for me, it is nostalgia!

And just a word of warning, if you haven't played PSII yet. Prepare for very hard dungeons. I still think that one is among the most difficult games I've ever played in my 20+ years.

Speaking of similarities, I recently noticed that Lapuchas in Moatoob are like scaled down, cute versions of the classic Dezolian owl sprites.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PaladinRPG on 2006-11-24 12:39 ]</font>

On 2006-11-24 12:37, PaladinRPG wrote:
    Good to see you're going back. I've been playing PS games since it was new on the Sega Master System in like '85. This is not "homework" for me, it is nostalgia!

And just a word of warning, if you haven't played PSII yet. Prepare for very hard dungeons. I still think that one is among the most difficult games I've ever played in my 20+ years.
    does it still follow the story with Alis? or does it move on to a different character?

On 2006-11-24 12:39, Guitarsmasher wrote:
    does it still follow the story with Alis? or does it move on to a different character?
    Alis is not really mentioned much in PSII. So don't hold your breath much for it. The hero is a guy named Rolf, along with his biomonster companion Nei, in charge of fixing some system malfunctions/monster outbreak that are occuring, which then turns into a whole conspiracy in regards to Mother Brain's dark origins...

You do get to visit a lot of planet locations and it does have a customizable party from available allies. For it's day it was really nifty.

Oh yeah and just like American Express, never leave home without a clone! Teleport on!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PaladinRPG on 2006-11-24 12:44 ]</font>