What do I disable, tweak, etc to make the text look better? The game runs very smooth on the current settings; the only problem is the darn text above names. It's not game breaking, but god is it annoying.

My monitor is 1280x1024, and I run PSU in a window at 1024x768.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Garnet_Moon on 2007-01-31 09:11 ]</font>

PSO2-JP: Ship 2; Bouncer/Braver, Tiana Cross.

Well, good to see that you have the game running the way you want.
    I want to move to PC, but it's not the right time now. ;]
    Blink & you might miss it! ;3

Oh, keep sig at 600x180 px & 49KB, yah?

Text looks like that because it isn't being filtered. That's part of what Anisotropic Filtering does, it filters and cleans up the textures (including text) on the surfaces of the game. Anti-Aliasing is not supported, nor can it be forced, with Phantasy Star Universe at this point in time (a bummer because of all of the wonderful jagged edges on all the models).

I don't have an ATI videocard at the moment, however, I have a pretty general idea on how to enable (through the drivers, Catalyst Control Center) Anisotropic Filtering. I know it is under the 3D Rendering section of the menus where it is either called "Anisotropic Filtering" with options between 2x and 16x (or x2 and x16 depending on how it shows) with x16 levels being the best and cleanest filtering (meaning you'll get rid of blocky textures in the distance very far, where as 2x and 4x are far less noticable). Also, with an X1000 series card you can enable "HQ" or High Quality Anisotropic Filtering and it will provide additional filtering on objects at ALL angles (instead of every 90 degrees) at an additional cost to performance.

PSU seems to run better, at least in my experience, with Anisotropic Filtering forced than without it. For your setup I would recommend trying 8x and enable the High Quality mode and see how PSU runs at your normal resolution. If it is slowing down too much (it shouldn't with the card's 512MB of dedicated memory) disable the High Quality filtering. It won't be as good of filtering, but it will look a lot better than without. However, if it is still very much playable try bumping it up to 16x filtering as that will provide excellent quality when coupled with the High Quality Anisotropic Filtering mode.

Like I say it will be in Catalyst Control Center (either on your desktop, though the Control Panel, or on the ATI icon on your taskbar) under the 3D options section. Enjoy your new card and your game!

Bump because problem remains. Screens of my control center added too.

PSO2-JP: Ship 2; Bouncer/Braver, Tiana Cross.