Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

On 2006-12-27 13:34, Aeternus wrote:
    We are only two months in, and already we only have ONE universe that is usually full or close to full, with all the others being ghost towns. I don't see a dramatic increase in players anytime soon, and only people that tried PSU for a while and have already dropped off. I think this is due to many reasons, like Sega holding back (too much) content. I have no problem with them holding back a lot of the end game stuff, so soon, but to only release a handful of missions, and nothing else really to speak of? Come on!

Sega is ruining this game, and I don't see any way of it coming back to life. Not saying it's dead, but its not what PSO was, which was a rich community of people all over the world. With JP and US seperate, we lose a lot there as well. I am finding the US crowed to be overly immature, and really, not all that fun to party with. It's a shame, as I don't play every day, so I don't really have any friends I can msg to create a party with at any time.

Anyway, Where do you see PSU in one year? Do you think anybody will be left playing? I expect the hardcore Phantasy Star players out there to still be hacking away at the game, but I sadly see it going downhill very fast. It's sad, becuase I did have such high hopes for this game, and while it can be fun, and exciting; There just doesn't seem to be that edge that makes me coming back for more the way PSO did on Dreamcast back in the day.

I'm not giving up yet though! I hope Sega can redeem themselves.
    Cry? Would you like a box of kleenex?

It's also worth noting that this game completely lacks challenge (unless you call Megid a challenge).

EQ, WoW, FFXI, all that crap... what stops you from having the best items in the game? You can't get them, you're too weak. The bosses are hard. The enemies are hard. And there's a small luck factor.

What stops you from getting the best items in PSU? Lots of luck, and epic ammounts of farming. Is anything hard? Not really. A group of 6 level 55s (and even then, that's only because of the level requirement) with C rank weapons could do the hardest S rank missions in the game without too much trouble. It'd take time, they might die, but it would still be easier than some of the easiest boss fights in most other games.

The game's just too easy. Ridiculously easy. If EQ ended with farming Lower Guk for months on end instead of Planes, if FFXI ended at Kuftal (was that it? the worms? I forget) instead of Dyamis and all that, if WoW ended at Blackrock Depths instead of UBRS/Core/WTFE-it-is-now, they would all be crappy games that nobody would care about 6 months later.

As it is now, that's what PSU is shaping up to be. I'm only hoping that HIVE S is anywhere near as difficult as people make it out to be.

On 2006-12-27 15:46, Aeternus wrote:

...because if you die, then you are pretty much shunned from a group for the most part.

This I also agree with, and is the only real downer for me. Because sometimes it's fucking hilarious when people die, because of how it happened or whatnot, and it makes it fun, yet how they have it set up, no one CAN have those fun moments because they're too upset about losing meseta and mission points.

Missions should just give you a set reward of Meseta and Mission Points, regardless of deaths or time spent, and just make the missions harder to reflect the trade-off. Lower ranks for people who come in late, like it is now. If the mission is hard enough on the difficulty setting (i.e. C, B, A or S) and you can just get to the END, that should be enough to get the S rank reward.

On 2006-12-27 15:46, Aeternus wrote:
    I've noticed.. as you can see i've been a member since 2001, but have remained a lurker. I haven't really felt the need to post to much.

I was hoping for PSU to bring back the good days of PSO on the DC.. the early days when a ton of people played and had fun. Now, with PSU, the game doesn't really bring you on the edge of your seat, because if you die, then you are pretty much shunned from a group for the most part. The game is way too easy, and even when you find a hard moment, the rewards are very few and far between.

The thing that it'll need is a sort of Ballista in it, that'll have restriction to PA's adjusted stuffs and suchs, a real open field area, better looking clothes not the g4y ones i seen so far, should gimp the PA's for a point where you dont need to use it all the freken time (more like FFXI where a gauge will fill out then you unleash it)and weekly "Events" or "Tournaments"

The thing I love about PS is that you can truly take down anything if you try hard enough, whereas some games have monsters you actually can't kill until much later.

BTW: You can't say this game lacks challenge until you solo S rank at around level 45-50. That is insanity, and fun as hell.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryoki on 2006-12-27 15:58 ]</font>

Dainslef, once upon a time, King Ranperre's Tomb was the highest level zone in FFXI. It took them what, a year to add Rise of the Zilart and Sky? PSU hasn't been around that long, either.

Yeah, fact is though, it's done. The game has been made, the fan base has been established, and there isn't a lot they can do about it now.

They'll do what they can to keep the people already here, here, but they aren't going to do anything involving spending large chunks of money. It's just not economical.

Likely, they'll just bait us along with new PAs and missions here and there to keep it just interesting enough for us to not cancel. But eventually, it'll wither.

On 2006-12-27 15:49, AlieNxxxxxxxx wrote:
    On 2006-12-27 13:34, Aeternus wrote:
    We are only two months in, and already we only have ONE universe that is usually full or close to full, with all the others being ghost towns. I don't see a dramatic increase in players anytime soon, and only people that tried PSU for a while and have already dropped off. I think this is due to many reasons, like Sega holding back (too much) content. I have no problem with them holding back a lot of the end game stuff, so soon, but to only release a handful of missions, and nothing else really to speak of? Come on!

Sega is ruining this game, and I don't see any way of it coming back to life. Not saying it's dead, but its not what PSO was, which was a rich community of people all over the world. With JP and US seperate, we lose a lot there as well. I am finding the US crowed to be overly immature, and really, not all that fun to party with. It's a shame, as I don't play every day, so I don't really have any friends I can msg to create a party with at any time.

Anyway, Where do you see PSU in one year? Do you think anybody will be left playing? I expect the hardcore Phantasy Star players out there to still be hacking away at the game, but I sadly see it going downhill very fast. It's sad, becuase I did have such high hopes for this game, and while it can be fun, and exciting; There just doesn't seem to be that edge that makes me coming back for more the way PSO did on Dreamcast back in the day.

I'm not giving up yet though! I hope Sega can redeem themselves.
    Cry? Would you like a box of kleenex?
    Yeah, I could shove it down your throat to end this stupid flame war you are starting. Choking to death FTW.

FFXI has an ENORMOUS player base, relatively speaking.

If you have, say, 50,000 players (I think FFXI had about 200k at its peak, but probably only 50k were americans), that's about 750k a month for FFXI.

If you have, say, 4,000 players (which seems pretty realistic for PSU right now, maybe even optomistic), that's 40k a month for PSU.

So, by those figures, which are probably horribly inaccurate (in which direction, who knows), if SEGA is economically reasonable, we can expect about 1/18th the content additions of FFXI.

And this doesn't even take into account the whole hard drive thing.

EDIT: I guess my point is, the game doesn't have players because it's not a good enough game, and it won't become a better game because it doesn't have enough players.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Dainslef- on 2006-12-27 16:07 ]</font>

On 2006-12-27 15:57, ZiG wrote:
    Dainslef, once upon a time, King Ranperre's Tomb was the highest level zone in FFXI. It took them what, a year to add Rise of the Zilart and Sky? PSU hasn't been around that long, either.
    Different point is that while it took them a year, people who reached that lv to train in there, it took them a year aswell.