Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast

We all know people have preferences for weapons, and that's OK. However, I prefer to go by the numbers, since they have no emotion, and thus don't lie... at least, that's what I tell myself before I go to sleep. ;p So, as a Lv49 CAST, Lv10 Ranger, Lv7 Force, and Lv6 Hunter, I think I've used everything enough to really give you a fairly informed decision. So, here goes!
    _____ _ _

Hunters:
    2h: Twin Dagger = Spear > Gloves** = Twin Sabre >>> Sword.
    1h: Dagger = Sabre

=> Spears are, simply put, godly. They do unparalleled amounts of damage and can hit multiple opponents in a line regardless of PAs. It is also a fairly fast weapon, pretty much as fast as Sabres, maybe faster by a fraction of a second. If you had to choose only one weapon, this'd be it.

=> Twin Daggers are a Spear's rival. While weaker than Spears, they are much faster, and hit more often. Their combo is a 7-chain instead of 3. The main catch, however, is their PA. It hits every single enemy that is next to you 3 times per spin, and only uses 12 PP. Simply a must-have.

=> Gloves** are a mix betwen Spears and Twin Daggers in every aspect, but that's not the lure. Their real purpose is their above average accuracy.

**Hold it-- I'm getting some info that Sabres do more damage than Gloves and only take a slight ATA nerf compared to them. This might be worth noting, or maybe worth nothing. Consider yeself warned.

=> Twin Sabres aren't as good as you'd think. While their combo is a 6-hitter, it goes in a 1-2-3 fashion, which is rather inconvenient. It also doesn't do a whole lot of damage. However, it has one distinct advantage: crowd control. This sucker will knock opponents up and across the room like a fierce gas from Granny Anne. Worth a look-see if you're into that.

=> Finally, swords. I honestly don't see why anyone would want one. While it does hit multiple opponents without the use of PP, it's so goddang slow that you'll lose more HP than that PP is worth. Also, the PA for it is worse than the Twin Dagger PA in every aspect, no question about it. If there's one weapon you shouldn't waste your meseta on, it's this.

Sabres vs. Daggers:
    => I've tried both, and I honestly can't decide which one wins. The dagger is technically less powerful and less accurate due to its slightly lower ATP/ATA ratings, but it has a 4-hit combo compared to a 3-hit combo, and it hits faster. The PA is also 4-hits instead of 2, so it hits more often per PA use. So, technically, one could say the Dagger is better for offense, and this is true.

=> However, Sabres are still very viable weapons. While they may technically be lacking in speed, thus less damage per second, their slightly higher ATA makes them more useful against high EVA monsters. Also, the PA does its 2 hits quickly and ends with a big knockback throw into the air. This PA makes Sabres a perfect defensive weapon, and you know what they say: the best offense is a good defense.
    Honestly, it all comes down to preference. I personally find Sabres more attractive, especially for Beasts... but it all comes down to what you like.

Hunter's Conclusion:
    My personal preference for my palette:
    1) Spear (damage/linear attack),
    2) Twin Daggers (speed/circle attack),
    3) Gloves (accuracy/good hybrid)
    4*) Sabre/Handgun combo (defense/range)

*I personally use Sabre/Handgun over having Twin Sabres and Dagger/Handgun since it doubles as a substitute for both. However, splitting the Sabre/Handgun combo into Twin Sabres and Dagger/Handgun is also a viable choice. It all comes down to preference. Remember, this is just my opinion.
    _____ _____ ___ ___ _

Now that that's out of the way, we just got to tie loose ends, aka Rangers/Forces. Yes, Rangers/Forces may be outnumbered by Hunters, but they shouldn't be left out entirely! Fortunately, I have good news! I'm covering all 3 base classes!

Ranger:
    2h: Rifle = Twin Handgun >>> Shotgun
    1h: Neither >>> Handgun > Mechgun

Rifle vs. Twin Handgun
    => Ah, the Rifle vs. Twin Handgun debate. It can go on and on, to be honest. Both sides have good arguments, yet each swears that their one weapon can do both jobs. Y'know what?

YOU'RE BOTH ****ING WRONG!
    I used to be a Twin Handgun Fanboy, and to an extent I still am. Compared to Rifles, they take a hit in almost everything. Less ATA, less PP, less range, and weaker Status Effect levels. What could possibly be going for it?

Well, it has a better Status Effect apply rate, and since it hits twice per shot instead of once, it is actually stronger. (What does more damage, a 500 damage Rifle that hits once, or a 300 damage Twin Handgun that hits twice?)

Strangely, neither of these advantages are what make Twin Handguns a good weapon of choice. The main reason is... *drumroll, please*... ... ...STRAFE SHOOTING! You can shoot and strafe at the same time, which gives you the power to not only shoot at range, but stay at that range instead of standing still and watching enemies limp closer! This makes Twin Handguns by far the best weapon for mobs of monsters.

So, you're probably thinking, "Hey that's a good trade-off! It does more damage AND you can strafe, so why shouldn't I use it for bosses, too?" Well, I can tell you why. Strafe Shooting is not a big advantage for bosses. In fact, you might as well not have it. You see, most bosses are gigantic monstrosities of muscle and metal that lumber around the arena. This means that:

A) You can focus on them and only them. You don't have to worry about things like "Crap! Someone's gonna hit me in the back if I keep standing still and shooting!"

B) You're going to need to use 1st Person view most of the time, most notably on Onmagoug-type and Dragon-type bosses... y'know, things with wings. Wing things ;p. You can't move in 1st person, so strafing is worthless and better range can greatly impact your performance.

So, there you have it. Don't pick either or, pick both! You're going to need each one for clearly different situations.
    _____ _ _

Now, onto the guns that are pretty much entirely useless. Yes, I went there.

=> Shotguns. I honestly want to defend this little guy, but it's got nothing going for it. It does very little damage, even IF you have 5 pellets and every single one hits the same person. If this is the case, the Rifle STILL does more damage over time.

Crowd Control? Not so much. While it does have multiple pellets that go in different directions, rarely will enemies line up in such a way for all pellets to contact flesh/robotics. Also, the attack animation locks all of your controls for about a second after firing, so monsters will tend to get too close too often. For less damage than a rifle and less control, it's not really worth it.

The one single thing this has going for it is its ammo efficiency. Its PP clip usually lasts 2 to 3 times as long as a Rifle. However, I honestly don't think its because it's efficient. It's more likely because it shoots so god-damned slow that your party kills the enemy before you use enough PP to do any real damage. It's that bad. No, really. It is. Stop defending it.

=> Handguns, while they are a good last resort weapon, they aren't that strong. They do little damage and their Status Effects are weak and rarely actually take effect. They are, however, very ammo efficient, and their 1st Person aiming ability gives them an advantage.

=> Machineguns are a disgrace to all Mechgun lovers of PSO. They may shoot a constant stream of bullets... but sadly, this is its very downfall. You'd think that shooting so many bullets would give it an advantage since it would thusly do a lot of damage and apply Status Effects very often. Not so much. It misses so much that any possible damage it could do based on your base ATP is negated, and it only beats the Handgun by a slim margin in terms of Status Effects.

You'd think it'd at least have a decent clipsize. Sorry, but it fails there too. It fires so much so fast that it runs out of ammo in less than a minute of use. You'd think its quick recharge rate would make that less noticable, but it only regens when you're NOT firing. I thought I could counter even that by using 6 Machineguns, but it would still run out before I finished a block... I'll go into the advantages of 6 Machineguns over 1 Machinegun some other time, and only if someone asks.

You'd think I'm an asshole with the attitude I've had throughout this section of the post, and you're right. Unfortunately, that's probably the only thing you've gotten right within the last 3 paragraphs. Machineguns suck. They do not meet even the lowest of requirements, and should be evaded like the PLAGUE. DON'T DO IT!

*smacks Beast Figunner's hand* I SAID NO!

Ranger's Conclusion:
    Your arsenal should include:
    1) Rifle (range/bosses)
    2) Twin Handgun (strafing/mobs)
    3) Spear (last resort)

I honestly think you should avoid Handguns and Mechguns, despite the fact that if you combo them with a Sabre they recharge faster. Their lack of damage simply isn't worth it. If you run out of ammo, go to town and recharge once you reach the next block. There is no shame in doing so.

Don't bother with the Shotgun. If you still want to use it even after my explanation, I'm upset with you. I may be arrogant, but I have most of my facts straight. Please reconsider.
    _____ _____ ___ ___ _ _

So, we've gotten to the last class. Forces. You've wanted it, you've begged for it, and now you're gonna get it! Free advice for Forces! Yaay!

Just kidding.

I don't know a lot about forces, because I was a FOcast and pretty much abandoned TECHs
    like a redheaded step-child, instead using bows. I can, however, give you a vague guideline for what to do.

0) Before you even start Forcing it in PSU, you have a shopping list, and it's pretty extensive. You need every single magic spell in the game, every bow bullet, 4 rods, a wand, a sabre, and a bow. That's about 20k if you get the cheapest of everything. Get to it!
    _____ _ _

1) Use rods over wands for almost everything. They have much more PP and hold more spells, so this makes them more versatile, more reliable. The slight slowdown in casting time is, in my opinion, not worth going to wands for.

2) Don't be foolish; bows are still something you need, especially for flying bosses. Have at least one on you at all times. Consider buying all 4 bullets for it too, at least until you run out of Photon Art slots, so you have the advantage there for flying bosses.

3) Stick to one spell element per rod/wand. This increases the effectiveness of all the spells mapped on the weapon, and makes it easier to pick which spells you want since it color codes your rods.

4) Don't avoid elements. Use them all. Each element has distinct advantages and disadvantages. Use each type so you gain the elemental advantage. I don't care if Diga does more damage against ground-types compared to Zonde! USE ZONDE AGAINST GROUND TYPES!

5) Heal your party often. They will love you. Besides, if they die, you get a lower mission rank. You might as well be helping yourself with that heal, because they're helping you, after all. As the saying goes, "Help me help you!"

Force's Conclusion:
    My personal preference for my palette:
    1) 4 Rods (switch elements accordingly)
    2) 1 Bow (flying baddies)
    3) 1 Sabre/Handgun combo -or-1 Spear (last resort)

There aren't really any weapons to avoid as a Force, so... yeah. Go get'um, Tiger! Oh, and heal your party when someone gets under 50% HP. Be the nice guy!
    _____ _____ ___ ___ _ _

So, yeah. I'm done. Go do your thing now. Oh, and remember, even though I am a veteran (been playing since PSO DC), this is mostly opinion, and is open to interpretation. Don't take this as fact. Read it with a grain of salt. ... yeah.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FenixStryk on 2006-11-28 16:51 ]</font>

The tiny force section makes me said. I'll type up a rant in a bit or edit this post and say my thoughts on it xD.

On 2006-11-28 15:40, Pandatron wrote:
    The tiny force section makes me sad. I'll type up a rant in a bit or edit this post and say my thoughts on it xD.
    LOL, yeah, it was short, but it's somewhat understandable. Funny thing is, it's still about as big as the Hunter section. Go Forces!

I disagree with your spear assessment, but that's just me, and I'll tell you why.

When I study a weapon, I could care less about it's "up front" DPS. What I'm more concerned about is min/maxing. Minimizing possible in coming damage to me, and maximizing out going damage to the enemy. The spear has just too much animation lock up during it's hits, and we know that trying to pull that off in a swarm of enemies is just bad news, much like the Sword.

I mostly play solo, so my experiences with most weapons are based on that. That's about the only thing I didn't agree with, but other than that, good jaerb. Jorb. Job.

9/10 of what you say is totally false and is based on your opinion, not the numbers.

1 Sabre/Wand combo.

We can't equip both at once...
    But I agree a melee weapon is needed just in case.

On 2006-11-28 15:46, AlieNxxxxxxxx wrote:
    9/10 of what you say is totally false and is based on your opinion, not the numbers.
    Yeah, you're right. I don't know why I put that "go by the numbers" thing on the top. However, I still stand by what I've said.

On 2006-11-28 15:47, Gazette wrote:
    1 Sabre/Wand combo? We can't equip both at once... but I agree a melee weapon is needed just in case.
    o_o
    What in god's name gave me the idea to put that? Let me edit that out NOW. Goes to show you how much I completely spaced out.

Many forces would disagree with you. If you are to have a wand combo, have a handgun. Most of my friends carry extra wands, though I just carry 5 haji's and a Baybari...

On 2006-11-28 15:46, AlieNxxxxxxxx wrote:
    I can't vouch for the rest (Ranger/Force stuff), but I can say that her assessments are NOT false in the Hunter category. I've put in over 250 hours into a single Hunter character, without changing types, and her assessments are 90% correct, in my opinion.

And I'm more than willing to provide proof to back up my claim.