Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

On 2006-11-28 16:00, -Shimarisu- wrote:
    Oh and this is wrong. ... ... ...god.
    *sigh* What part of the title, "A veteran's OPINION" don't you understand? Okay, so I used the word "should". You got me. But to go so far as that? That's really not something I was expecting... at least, not from the average PSOW user.

Guess you're the exception.

In the Sabre vs Dagger section, I said it was a tie and came down to preference. You took the word should way out of proportion and thought my words were supposed to be set in stone and obeyed like the laws of science. All I'm doing is giving my opinions and backing them up with why I feel that what I do is right.

There's always two sides of the coin. Day and night. Love and hate. To say that me picking night gives you the right to shun me and try to show me the light might as well make you God. ARE you God?

Elitist hybrid. Merged classes can be pricks too!

You're hardly a veteran, the game has only been out 1 month in US and three in Japan.

I don't like the whole one element per rod deal. I'm sure it works well for some people, but I do alot better and feel alot better having everything I need for a particular area on one rod. I wouldn't like having to change rods multiple times per room, plus, I like having resta and reverser on all my rods. If I'm attacking with diga or something and I see somebody on my team take a big hit, I want to be able to heal them as soon as I recover from casting diga. I don't want to have to wait to finish, then have to go into my palette and select a new weapon, and wait another second or two for it to load before I can heal. By then my teammate could very well be dead.

I've also never ever had any use at all for a saber or a handgun. It hit flying enemies with my bow, I break boxes with my technics, and I pay enough attention to my PP to make sure that I don't run out on all my rods halfway through a block. It shouldn't ever come to that. If you can't heal you're not going to be of much use to your team anymore.

As for the whole rod vs. wand issue, I wouldn't be so quick to say that one is better than the other. I've heard good arguments for both weapons, and what it really seems to come down to is your playing style. Different people will be more effective with different set-ups. I'm better with rods, but I've seen people kick major but with wands, so I would never try to tell them that they should be using rods instead.

Marshmallow | Female Newman lvl. 143
    Fortetecher lvl. 20 | Acrotecher lvl. 20 | Wartecher lvl. 10 | Masterforce lvl. 4 (lol)
    Other characters: Tulip (beast FF), Holly Bee (human PT), and Morning Chimes (cast GT).

Common Sense 'R Us

It amazes me that people still don't understand the difference between Wands and Staves (canes & rods) for PSU, especially after so many people have said it over and over.

Let me repeat, in convenient list format!

With the current equipment and spells available to PSU:
    1. Rods are for efficiency.
    2. Canes are for damage.

Felix, do us a favor and change this:

"Your arsenal should be comprised of:"

To this:

"I suggest your arsenal should be comprised of:"

My arsenal will be comprised of weapons I choose to use. Thank you.

Your Twin Saber analogy was off, which was already pointed out.

I'm assuming your guide was meant for the three core classes we have available to us now, so I'm not going to begin pointing out how some weapons are better left alone for expert classes.

Oh, and I use Diga/Foie against ground types. Why? Because it kills faster. Now, I suggest you rework your Force section especially to make them all suggestions rather than try to make them sound as if they are facts.

Skilled Fighter
    man i dont live in manitoba what the hell

On 2006-11-28 16:08, Tetsuro wrote:
    Rods do not do more damage than wands, my Canara has about the same Tech points as my Hajirod. The only reason rods are better is due to the fact that they have more PP and can hold 4 spells. However, once cards are introduced, it will all be a matter of preference.
    No, base TP on a Canara is 317, and base TP on a Hajirod is 364. Granted, it's not a mind-blowing difference, but it's there. Only Tenora wands have comparable TP to Rods of the same rarity.

The difference is mostly rendered moot by the faster cast speed on a Wand compared to a Rod, though (also eventually, being able to stack four techs of the same element onto a Rod will give it a multiplier advantage).
    If you want to maximize as a Force at this point in the game, I'd say to have a Longbow for stuff that's tough to nail with techs, four Rods for general play, and for bosses bring a Tenora Wand for the increased cast speed along with TP on par with a Rod.

That all gets more or less upended as soon as Expert classes are in, though, and that's probably in like two days, so it's not really important.

Edit: More on topic, I'll go ahead and say that you're selling the Shotgun way short. It's not too impressive right now, but it gains the most benefit from increasing your ATP out of all the weapons in the game, so after we start seeing people approaching level 60 and such, the Shotgun starts really kicking ass.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cross on 2006-11-28 16:18 ]</font>

Since this entire thread looks like it's teetering on the edge of a mini-flame war almost, can I start?

You're all stupid doo-doo heads.

Oh Cosby. What a mini-genius.

lolDiads
    If Diad was a planet in PSU, I'd live there

On 2006-11-28 15:39, FenixStryk wrote:
    => Spears are, simply put, godly. *snip* If you had to choose only one weapon, this'd be it.
    Not on your life. I'd take a one-handed dagger over a spear any day of the week. The current spear photon art has no knockback effect whatsoever, which is very important for the way I play.

=> Twin Daggers are a Spear's rival. *snip* The main catch, however, is their PA. It hits every single enemy that is next to you 3 times per spin, and only uses 12 PP. Simply a must-have.
    Not true at all. Sure, the photon art has a 360 degree attack radius, but the first part of the photon art hits the two closest targets, and the second part hits the three closest targets. Watch where the numbers proc.

=> Gloves are a mix betwen Spears and Twin Daggers in every aspect, but that's not the lure. Their real purpose is their godly accuracy.
    Um... no? Take for example, the Tenora Works line of weapons at 5*. I'd hardly call having 2 more ATA than a saber of the same rank "godly accuracy". And for the record, a saber of the same rank has 160 more ATP.

=> Twin Sabres aren't as good as you'd think. While their combo is a 6-hitter, it goes in a 1-2-3 fashion, which is rather inconvenient. It also doesn't do a whole lot of damage.
    Huh? Comparing 5* Tenora Works weapons, the Twin Sabers have 10 less ATA but come with 27 more ATP. How can you be supportive of Fists yet call Twin Sabers weak? It hits with reasonable speed, and twin sabers have a much wider attack arc and range than fists.

=> Finally, swords. I honestly don't see why anyone would want one. While it does hit multiple opponents without the use of PP, it's so goddang slow that you'll lose more HP than that PP is worth. Also, the PA for it is worse than the Twin Dagger PA in every aspect, no question about it. If there's one weapon you shouldn't waste your meseta on, it's this.
    The is the only one I agree with, if only because the current photon art sucks. When the second photon art releases, this weapon class will be a lot more worthwhile to use, but as it currently stands, spears are a far better choice.

Regarding the daggers versus sabers, I'll take a dagger over it any day of the week. The photon art, especially the second half, is phenomenal and very easily controlled.

Elitist hybrid. Merged classes can be pricks too!

Force using nothing but grinded up GRM and Tenora wands and ONE high PP rod purely for resta here.

By god wands are better, you should use them. Unless your connection is shitty and you can't switch fast.

My arsenal is set up like this.

Wand with element
    Wand with element and resta.
    Wand with element
    Rod or wand with resta and reverser. I switch palette a lot so it varies.
    Wand with element
    Bow with blah blah element.

KEEPING DA WANDS WITH DA RESTA NEXT TO DA NUKING WANDS AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE FOR EASY SWITCH=WIN

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Shimarisu- on 2006-11-28 16:24 ]</font>

On 2006-11-28 16:15, Cross wrote:
    On 2006-11-28 16:08, Tetsuro wrote:
    Rods do not do more damage than wands, my Canara has about the same Tech points as my Hajirod. The only reason rods are better is due to the fact that they have more PP and can hold 4 spells. However, once cards are introduced, it will all be a matter of preference.
    No, base TP on a Canara is 317, and base TP on a Hajirod is 364. Granted, it's not a mind-blowing difference, but it's there. Only Tenora wands have comparable TP to Rods of the same rarity.

The difference is mostly rendered moot by the faster cast speed on a Wand compared to a Rod, though (also eventually, being able to stack four techs of the same element onto a Rod will give it a multiplier advantage).
    If you want to maximize as a Force at this point in the game, I'd say to have a Longbow for stuff that's tough to nail with techs, four Rods for general play, and for bosses bring a Tenora Wand for the increased cast speed along with TP on par with a Rod.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cross on 2006-11-28 16:18 ]</font>
    Honestly, 4 rods, a bow, and a cane/handgun pair gives plenty of PP usually. I usually treat the wand as another rod, though... I like having Resta, Reverser, AND Diga available at once on bosses, since status effects are abundant. But there is merit in using a wand there, if you can make it last the whole battle, but resta just sucks the life out of stuff at 40 a cast, so I couldn't justify putting it on a wand.
    Coming Soon!