Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Adictiveness

I would like this to be clear, that this is not a PSO is better than PSU or vice versa thread, before I begin.

PSO was a classic, very addictive game that you could easily get back to. However, thinking about it, it was also very monotonus. The level design wasn't exactly breath taking scenery, and the battle system was rigid as a 2 by 4. The plot was far and in between. However, very easily you could come back to it again and again and again until the the time you eventually you realise you have wasted your life.

PSU, breath taking scenery to die for, runs super smooth and fast, a great battle system, more different scenes great music.

SO WHY does it not have the grab factor that PSO did when that was barely updated online.

Discuss.

On 2006-12-25 17:38, zimmk2vgc wrote:
    I would like this to be clear, that this is not a PSO is better than PSU or vice versa thread
    Sure it's not.

PSO2-JP: Ship 2; Bouncer/Braver, Tiana Cross.

Thing is, I really like both of them, but PSU just does not have the grab factor that PSO did.

personally, i came back to PSO about three times. not counting all the different version of it that i went through. the last time i tried was only 12 days of BB, which made me hate that game.

PSU, well. its slowpaced. very slowpaced. not as slowpaced as other online grinding games that i played, but still, slower than PSO. no simple hopping down to make a certain stage run or quest, no, this time you have to make your way to whereever you want to hunt.

still, i personally think PSU is a big improvement over PSO in almost all aspects. its just not a game you can play 24/7 - which is good. go out, people, and socialize.
    「愛と空の女王様」を言でもいい。 We are Heroes. This is what we do!

Remember long ago when they released "Golden Eye" for the N64 and it was one of the most amazing shooters of it's time and everyone rejoiced in all it's greatness. Then in the near future they released "Perfect Dark" took the same engine added new weapons, level, bot support, tons of missions and so forth. Unfortunatly it didn't get nearly as much praise as "Golden Eye", while it may be the same game when it's 're-released' (so to speak) the hype you already had for the game has tampered off and thus you don't get the same kick. That's just my theory anyways it's happen a good amount of times in the for just Golden Eye -> Perfect Dark rung a bell at the time .

Celestial Knight of Azure Flames zandra117's Avatar
    My soul is in Gurhal while my heart is on Ragol

I think its the setting. In pso the setting was that your old planet was dying and you couldnt return to it but the planet you are trying to settle on is being terrorized by a mysterious entity. So you are stuck without a home untill you can find and defeat this mysterious entity for good.

In PSU you already have a home and everything is happy and peaceful untill The SEED (a less mysterious entity than in PSO) attacks your home. Which is a very unoriginal setting that is in every other RPG. But then it turns out that SEED are like bugs and are only attracted to A Photons. So you find a "giant bug zapper" (Relics Confinement System) and activate it. Now in the online environment you are only keeping the SEED that avoided the zapper contained and away from populated areas.

The PSO setting is more dark than the PSU setting and that makes PSO more exciting.

Also PSO had much larger and less linear basic mission areas. And the music change in pso in and out of battles made pso seem more dramatic. Also PSO has a better soundtrack than PSU.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: zandra117 on 2006-12-25 18:03 ]</font>
    "Thol-Falz, tes par rel diemed. Tes syr, weh yi ryukad te reli, rel ken rel obid." Dark Force, your shrine is finished. Your sword, who you returned to reality, is able to be wielded.

On 2006-12-25 17:38, zimmk2vgc wrote:
    I would like this to be clear, that this is not a PSO is better than PSU or vice versa thread, before I begin.

PSO was a classic, very addictive game that you could easily get back to. However, thinking about it, it was also very monotonus. The level design wasn't exactly breath taking scenery, and the battle system was rigid as a 2 by 4. The plot was far and in between. However, very easily you could come back to it again and again and again until the the time you eventually you realise you have wasted your life.

PSU, breath taking scenery to die for, runs super smooth and fast, a great battle system, more different scenes great music.

SO WHY does it not have the grab factor that PSO did when that was barely updated online.

Discuss.
    Because it doesn't have breath taking sceneray
    It does not have a good battle system
    The game is a piece of crap like every other sega game made it stopped making Dreamcasts.

Sega lost their edge, not that they ever had it. Soon as dreamcast died, sega began spiraling downward. Every game I've played for Next gen consoles by sega has been utter shit. I used to love these games with a passion, but sega has lost it. The ONLY thing sega has going for them is their sports games now. I will say that the NBA2k7 and other sports games they make are doing better than their counterpart EA sports versions on next gen's, that's my opinion though. NBA Live 07 and NHL 07 sucks balls on next gen, but sega's 2k7 versions pwn em. meh....

A Squeaker!

The grab of PSO: PSO was a first, it was the first time players on a console could play online with characters that can improve over time. For some people this was thier first experience of this kind of game, I know it was mine. It was also free to play in the first version, and v.2 on Dreamcast wasn't expensive on a monthly basis... normally just $5-6/month because the fee is based on the Yen, not the dollar. You could also take the same character you play with online and play offline, leveling it, since it was client side save. I have one character that didn't go online until it was 80.

PSO:BB was probably like the halfway step to PSU, took the original game and made it exclusively online, and server-side save, becasue they realised that client side saving was making policing difficult (if there was any to begin with).

PSU it seems combines the action elements that PSO had with more of a story of an RPG (or more like it an anime). They seperated the offline and online saves, so you can't take your online character offline, but offline there is an offering of an involving story, that's continued online.

Would I have played PSU if I didn't play PSO? Probably not... I'll be honest about that.

It might just also do with perception over time..

PSO as new, and while PSU is similar, you're mostly reminded of your experiences from back in PSO.

For me, my first online game was Everquest, and every other one I've played has never fully recaptured the magic from EQ.

pso i could play and it gets boring after a few hours. i played psu for 10 hours straight yesterday and wasnt bored at all. i dont know