Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PSU or PSO ???

i dont mine if they add some ep.4 areas: the desert with Kondrieu. PSO's gameplay does show its age. Slow. PSU is just getting better and better as more updates are heading our ways. Be patient and wait a little longer.

++++++----------"." Xe's Sanctuary 09/28/2016----------- Youtube's profile "."----------++++++
    wallies edited: 4500_|_G.O.L.D.E.N_|_sigs created: 1055

Keep your strengths and improve upon it. PSU+PSO all the way.

PSO's gameplay is a good change of pace occasionally, but I still much prefer how PSU is, especially with the inclusion of Just Attack and recent rebalancing ... if you don't count the slicers. We won't talk about those.

But still--I find PSU's gameplay to be a lot more involving than PSO's, and with much more variety in available weapons, ways to use those weapons, and type/race/gender mixing.

Going back to PSO, I notice one major thing ... people run in that game as if they were wearing flippers. Not just the animations, but the speed of it; PSU's movement and control of such has much more going for it, even if I were to act like a nitprick (typo intentional) and nag about certain things.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: F-Gattaca on 2007-12-20 00:47 ]</font>

I miss using Slicers on PSO.

The way they home in every way..it´s awesome.

Other then that, the only thing i really miss using is my overpowered force.
    You could be miles away and still hit enemies or just use a area attack effect which reached through rooms..safe from danger lol.
    [PSO2] Darkante: Cast HU-44/RA-43/FI-42/GU-30
    Astral Storm: Newman F HU-35
    [PSP2:I]
    RB3 - Dark Knight "Ante" : Cast M Lv 200/ JLv Hu50/Ra50/F30/Va46
    RB3 - Crimson Sky: Beast F Lv 174/ JLv Hu34/Ra18/Fo1/Va50
    RB0 - Zone Dynamite: Beast M Lv 76/ JLv Hu0/Ra7/Fo0/Va0

Point being, if they weren't so intent on throwing in Forest, Caves, Mines, Ruins into PSU - maybe they'd have more resources to develop NEW bosses rather than just reskinning a bunch of old bosses and not even bothering to change the attack patterns on them as mentioned in another thread. Perhaps if they weren't binding themsevles to gold-mining the classic PS series for storyline points - they could come up with their own unique and engaging storyline rather than coming off as a half-assed fanservice me-too.

Some things I can understand, like Boomas in Neudaiz. That's fine. I don't consider them a particularly noteworthy enemy worthy of adding to the cross-over beastiary, but whatever. Delsabers were a MUCH better choice for a unique PSO enemy to transfer over IMO, and I'm glad they're continuing on with classics like Grass Assassins and Rappies. But to the lengths PSU has taken some of it's "borrowing" from previous games just weakens the whole endevor overall.

Feed men, and then ask of them virtue!

Curiously attractive for a fish man Zorafim's Avatar

On 2007-12-20 03:05, Sinue_v2 wrote:
    Point being, if they weren't so intent on throwing in Forest, Caves, Mines, Ruins into PSU - maybe they'd have more resources to develop NEW bosses rather than just reskinning a bunch of old bosses and not even bothering to change the attack patterns on them as mentioned in another thread. Perhaps if they weren't binding themsevles to gold-mining the classic PS series for storyline points - they could come up with their own unique and engaging storyline rather than coming off as a half-assed fanservice me-too.

I doubt it. I really do.

As for gameplay, I was more talking about stage advancement. The whole "spending time in one maze, cleaning it out, then moving on to another one with a slightly different atmosphere, then ending with a boss fight" seems much nicer than the whole "slaughter a bunch of monsters in a linear area, make sure you get every last one of them, don't die, and by the way here's a boss" we've been getting. Though I do have to say, I really dislike how slow PAs are, and how monster movements are so random and unpredictable. It really makes the game into more of a spamfest and less of a strategic advancement.

I think that PSU actually has the better gameplay but PSO had far better balance. Personally, I'd like to see both continue on as their own series.
    Saigan PSZ FC: 1161-9928-1181

On 2007-12-19 23:15, F-Gattaca wrote:
    I've probably asked this in the past, but I'm going to ask it again right now:

During development and during the launch of PSU Ep. 1, was there any indication from the devs that PSU is not meant to be linked to PSO or the PSC series in any way?

Otherwise, with respect to the people who complain about the throwbacks to PSO and PSC, I would point out the U in PSU. It seemed to hint that, like Turn A Gundam and Final Fantasy 9, this game would relate in some way to everything else Phantasy Star that came before it.
    In the interview with Sonic Team for the EGM preview back 2 years ago, the developers said that this is a standalone series and has no ties to the original or Online games. They said the only thing you will see is nods to past games for nostalgia's sake.

I will always have great memories of PSO. It was my first online rpg and it was a blast. I still remember that first Friday in late January 2001. The servers were packed with Americans and Japanese players. The Japanese players had been playing since December 2000. One of them, a HUne named A'', showed me and two others around. It was a blast. It lead to years of fun online adventures.

But, time moves on. In almost every way ~ especially since the launch of AotI ~ PSU has exceeded PSO. Doesn't mean I don't like PSO or that I'll ever forget how much fun I had playing PSO. But PSU is a better game, imo, and it should be. The main thing is the combat engine, which is the heart of both games. The PSU engine is so much more fluid.

Take Military Subway, for example. If that was done PSO-style then all the casts would simply converge on you, occasionally doing figure eights in their approach pattern, and you would trade 3-hit combos with them (and, at times, sidestep) until it was over. In PSU some of the enemy RA's set up and fire from range (trying to lock you down) while the infantry and melee units converge for hand-to-hand combat. Often times your opponents will jump out of the way if you approach them head-on, and meanwhile the RA units continue to redeploy and look for better angles to shoot from. And your character, meanwhile is able to (unlike in PSO) run around while fighting and to use PA's that can launch you into the air and then bring down hits in multiple angles (provided you aim and time things just right). Its so much more involved, and its a welcome change.

Also, if you have a good pc and a good graphics card, then PSU blows PSO out of the water, visually. I am fortunate and am able to run PSU at 1280 x 1024 with all settings maxed (including having every player and monster cast realistic shadows) and it runs at a rock-solid 60 dps. Its visually stunning.

Also, don't forget how cool the Room feature is. It is so cool to have a room to host a shop in and to meet with friends in. People in other online rpg's (including WoW) wish they had that feature.

PSO was awesome for its time, a landmark game imho. PSU is still young, but its already well past what PSO was capable of, and its still growing.

PSU is leaps and bounds over PSO in terms of gameplay, monster AI and environment variation.

PSO is better thematically and has better structured missions. Mainly because if you wanted the 'lol clear all monsters' type runs you could just go into the areas of your own free will.

I've a feeling PSU is still getting all those out of the way before we get more stuff like Bruce's Dungeon and Her Secret Mission.