Monday again, so I'm a bit bored. Last week I wrote about English Grammar: The Class. Today, I submit for your approval English Grammar II: Forums.
    First of all I would like to state that I’m not attacking anyone, or any group of people, in particular, I’m just writing based on my observations and opinions.
    I know the English Language has many, many loopy rules, but we should have learned how to put a Basic English sentence together by the third grade (this is assuming that English is your first, or most used, language). I sometimes have trouble reading some people’s posts due to the fact that they are either many sentences jumbled together in one, or they are just incomplete phrases with little-to-no coherence.
    Look, I can understand the occasional spelling error here and there, especially if you are using an internet browser that doesn’t have spell check, but this is a forum, not an IM, so you are not really pressed for time to write out your response. It will take you all-of 30 seconds to just go through your typical post, and put in basic punctuation and correct tenses so that your post is understandable by everyone reading it, and not just yourself (yes, I acknowledge that many of you, including myself on occasion, type in a fashion that makes perfect sense to you at the given moment, but can be a bit more convoluted in reality). I’m sure if we all just took a little more time to revise our posts we could have a slightly more enjoyable community here, since many times I have seen people flame or harass others for the way they type; regrettably, I have been guilty of the same from time to time.
    And that’s all I have to say about that. Probably.

EDIT: Speaking of which, misspelled grammar...>_>

EDIT Mk.II: Man, the dingleberries post has more views than this....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Anduril on 2008-02-04 13:09 ]</font>

-h
    Dallas, but it's not the same without cursing, okay?!

What I want to know is, with all this knocking of people's bad gramar, why don't we commend good grammar!

On 2008-02-04 12:58, Pengfishh wrote:
    What I want to know is, with all this knocking of people's bad gramar, why don't we commend good grammar!
    Because it's easier to point out flaws rather than the accepted norm. I'm sure if everyone typed badly we would notice those few people with exceptional typing. It's all about your personal reference point.

-h
    Dallas, but it's not the same without cursing, okay?!

But what if the flaws are the norm?!

Should I point out the grammar errors in the first post?
    Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire.

On 2008-02-04 20:25, Obsidian_Knight wrote:
    Should I point out the grammar errors in the first post?
    Yes, yes you should.

I agree. I don't care about perfect grammar, just enough for me to understand without typing in IM gibberish. The only person in this forum that has an excuse to type badly is gxp.

a comfortable place between dreams and reality

Forums are a bit of a gray area. I think proper grammar should be encouraged, but not required. To be honest, I rather enjoy mangling the language sometimes with "bb speak". However, that's only because I understand how to use English properly. You need to know the rules before you start breaking them.

I love English. There are so many "loop holes" as you said, which allow for so much characterization. People butchering the language like using "u" for "you" used to bother me, but I rarely make a big deal about it as long as I understand the person.

PSO2: Kylie.HUnewearl.Sh02

Grammar is not a big deal on something like a forum. It's also nothing to worry about over AIM. I just like to bug friends about it sometimes. If it were a professional essay or a book of some sort, sure, grammar would mean something.

PS: Dingleberries has more views because most people don't care about grammar, especially not on a forum. I mean, as long as it's legible, does it really matter on such an informal way of communication?

THE JACKEL